Hip-Hop 2012

outraygeous

I dont know, but I've been using it as a sort of gauge of if I will like the girl or not.

Maybe I should adopt my internet persona again, this is all too much!

outraygeous

off that album, they (girls, im not a sexist pig) react favourably to 'whos your daddy?'

if you want to push boundaries, Gory Days album - light your fire

petergunn

plywood violin
ok so the xzibit thing turns out not be true. ive no idea why i brought up necro either. im ill though and slightly out of it lol. anyway, he still doesnt really sound very distinct to me (i could prob hear him in a group with phat kat or phat ray or someone), but hes def solid, you can tell hes trying, and i like him more than guilty simpson, and hey, shooting moves is cool. i think he might be a rapper who i dont 'like' but who just makes good songs. for some reason he makes me want to listen to old consequence. no idea why.

have you all discussed rich forever already? i think its too fucking long but also fucking good.

at first i didn't like danny brown and then one day it just all clicked w/ me... the persona, the off the wall-ness, the diff voices, the diff flows, the swag element, the self depricating...

if anything, the one thing that makes him interesting to me personally is the fact that he is comfortable on almost any kind of beat and has a flow almost like trim's, where he rhymes on fast beats in an unconventional manner...

i would say give XXX a try, put it on yr ipod for a week or two, and see if it clicks...

DannyL

Wild Horses
That new Future is great. My subjective feeling after a couple of listens is something like the spaceman/iced out/autotune/hypercapitalism/cokeandcodeine elements are all gelling together in my head, creating this giant gleaming impenetrable wall of flossing.

Is there much love for Main Attraktionz/Squadda B/Green Ova over here? Definitely some of my favourite stuff from last year. I went through a lot of End of Year lists and they seemed conspicuous by their absence.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Love your description of Future's music as an ''impenetrable wall of flossing''. With Future, a not entirely apt though I suppose quite natural comparison with Max B springs to (my) mind - the droning, sloppy melodies giving things a sort of bluesy quality which doesn't really fit with the boasts about cars/ice/girls but probably has something to do with drink/drug intake. On a lot of his tunes he sounds sloshed, ala. Max B.

There's that sense, too, of Future's sound being more important than his lyrics. I get the feeling that once Future's sound clicks for you you're liable to like almost everything he does (again, this is what happened to me with Max B), no matter how lyrically redundant it is. There's a cult-like appeal to him. A lot of hip-hop bloggers seem to hate Future (and 2-Chainz), but one or two I know of are obsessed with him.

Really into Trap Back, as you say he sounds fired up on it. On ''Ferrari Boyz'' he tended to sounded a little slow and unenthusiastic on Southside beats (with Waka as the hyped-up wrecking ball stealing the show), which definitely isn't the case on ''Trap Back''.

I put Shady Blaze's Dirt On My Name on my end of year list, but to be honest I sort of lost interest in Green Ova after initially being quite enthusiastic. I didn't really like any of the Main Attrakionz tracks I hear in 2011 as much as Still The Legion, Legion Of Doom Back On Deck etc. But really it was just a case of other rappers taking up my attention. I know Crowley thinks they put out some great stuff last year. Mondreman's M A N is quite good, some interesting production from Silky Johnson in particular on that one.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I completely think you're right about Future. It's more like the overall gestalt of imagery and sound than the lyrics (which is what I was trying to get at in the description) - is he technically a good rapper? I've no idea but I have just listened to "Birds Take A Bath" 4 times in a row. All the guest MCs serve to take the heat off him. Where's a good place to start with Max B? I hardly know his stuff at all. Loved that tune that someone linked to the other day (not a helpful description - it was about girls! I'll look it up in a sec).

I think with Gucci you can read his ongoing legal problems into his music - "I been gone for a second but the kid back". I imagine when he's out for a bit he gets completely fucked up/excessive, perhaps had being locked down on his mind, but on Trap Back sounds like he's clean, been stocking up on rhymes while locked up. I hope he can keep it together enough to stay out.

I really like all the Green Ova stuff. "808s and Dark Grapes" is an incredible record, the most consistent one I think. I kinda think of it as the music that be made by Brian Eno if he was a 19 year old kid from Oakland. Makes a nice alternative when you've got a migrane from listening to Brick Squad.

jimitheexploder

I've been playing loads of Main Attrakionz for a while now, can't get enough of it. Favourites are prob: MondreHott, Chandelier, M.A.N., Tape Hiss Hooligan, 808s & Dark Grapes II. They're prob the most solid of the tapes.

jimitheexploder

There is a mad chopped n screwed old school electro vibe to that beat, feeling it.

To the above Future talk too... I have no idea why, but I like it. He's got all the wrong vibes but he does it so right on that tape.