Artificial intelligence officially gets scary

version

Yeah, it says this in the article I posted. The air force are claiming no such simulation took place and the story amounts to a thought experiment posted on a blog.

It's difficult to know who to believe. The original story's perfect clickbait for the current panic and the source seems to have issues with AI, but it's also possible it did happen and the industry's trying to protect its interests.

luka

when i read it in the paper i thought well this reads like fiction but i do really like the way that nowadays the information stream is so polluted that there is no way to establish truth and you just go with either your gut or your prejudices.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
when i read it in the paper i thought well this reads like fiction but i do really like the way that nowadays the information stream is so polluted that there is no way to establish truth and you just go with either your gut or your prejudices.
This posts feels like it should end with "It's great, isn't it?"

wild greens

Read a half-interesting column in the FT this weekend about too much convenience being detrimental to the human experience, a loose interpretation of "Eudaimonia" quite central to it. I tend to agree with the idea, obvious as it is, that the constant digital dopamine release is fucking a lot of things up

& wonder if this rapid AI "creativity" category is just another factor in it. Beyond the initial novelty of it, most of the AI art & music apps are pretty shit and boring, there's very little satisfaction to be derived from just emptily typing an idea and letting something do it for you, there is an internal fulfilment born of creating something. The eudaumonia idea

It is very good at functional stuff like not having to write formulas in excel anymore ofc

Anyway some obvious thoughts for a Monday morning there.

luka

(“It will become evident that the thoroughgoing cogency of the independent existence of the world we live in depends not so much on perception, as on the experience of resistance which the reality of the subject’s activity provides—depends, therefore on a basis of lived experience furnished by emotional acts.”) All human action, Hartmann suggests, including physical movement and emotion activities such as expecting, hoping, desiring, valuing and so on, intend outward from the subject. They are directed towards some object or person, and this object or person conditions their exact nature. It is for Hartmann the resistance that these activities, radiating from the subject, encounter in the external world that is the chief source of our awareness of the world’s independent reality. The world becomes intelligible to us—that is to say we can discriminate between different aspects of its existence—by virtue of the fact that it resists our activities in various ways. This is what Hartmann means by his phrase “the hardness of what is real,” in complete contradistinction to the Satrian “espèce d’écoeurment douceâtre” over the pervasive viscosity of substance.

vimothy

yurp

social media person creates AI chatbot to provide some sort of virtual gf experience for her followers

the issue here, and with the new era of large language model driven chatbots like chatgpt in general, isn't that the content they produce is somehow not as "good" as content produced by humans, but that if and when they come to predominate, humans are sliding into a solipsistic matrix where culture and even relationships are private hallucinations which involve no communication with anyone else

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed

social media person creates AI chatbot to provide some sort of virtual gf experience for her followers

the issue here, and with the new era of large language model driven chatbots like chatgpt in general, isn't that the content they produce is somehow not as "good" as content produced by humans, but that if and when they come to predominate, humans are sliding into a solipsistic matrix where culture and even relationships are private hallucinations which involve no communication with anyone else
Parasocial media

william_kent

Virtual doctors and therapists as starting point is surely close, already happening

Doctors are apparently* using chatGTP to help with their bedside manner

an example article

Desperate for a solution, I went down the hall to my computer, and fired up ChatGPT-4. Typing in:

“Explain why you would not give IV fluids to someone with severe pulmonary edema and respiratory distress even though you might be concerned that the patient is dehydrated. Explain it in simple and compassionate terms so that a confused person who cares about their mother can understand.”

Within seconds, ChatGPT produced this:

I truly understand how much you care for your mother, and it’s natural to feel concerned about her well-being.

In cases of severe pulmonary edema and respiratory distress, it might seem like giving IV fluids would help with hydration, but it could actually make her condition worse.

When someone has pulmonary edema, their lungs are filled with excess fluid, which makes breathing difficult. If we were to give your mother IV fluids, it could potentially increase the fluid in her lungs, making it even harder for her to breathe and causing her more discomfort.

Our primary goal is to ensure your mother’s comfort and well-being. The medical team is dedicated to providing the best possible care for her, and they will closely monitor her hydration levels while using other treatments that are more appropriate for her specific condition.

Please know that your mother’s health and comfort are our top priorities, and we are here to support both of you during this difficult time. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to the medical team.

We are all in this together, and we’ll do everything we can to help your mother recover.

I printed this response up, and read it to the concerned family. As I recited ChatGPT’s words, their agitated expressions immediately melted into calm agreeability.

Even better, I handed the printed copy to the nurse. While the patient was waiting for an ICU bed, the family would frequently return to the nurse to ask about IV fluids (some members may have been struggling with memory impairment), and he’d read the script to them. It always received a warm reception.

* the author of the article I linked to is a doctor but is alleged to have business interests in some AI firms, so this may be a crock

sufi

lala
dont worry marc andreeesen says it will all be copacetic

To prevent the risk of China achieving global AI dominance, we should use the full power of our private sector, our scientific establishment, and our governments in concert to drive American and Western AI to absolute global dominance, including ultimately inside China itself. We win, they lose.