woops

is not like other people
I suppose the debate is.... I said Marvel films suck up resources and talent that might have been used to make films that (and this is the main criteria) I would rather see. Luka said "Ah, but maybe some of that talent uses some of the resources that they gain to make those films".
But to me the point is not "Does that ever happen?" but more - "Is there a net gain or loss due to the Marvel domination?" - and my gut feeling, which obviously is little more than that, is that overall something being so dominion tends to stifle creativity and diversity (in the old-fashioned sense) and is ultimately, overall, a bad thing. Although I admit it's not as clear cut as one might first think.
well yeah that's what i wanted to get at too which is why i asked for examples and there are maybe three there.
Have you seen any films that are both 'interesting' and good that have been made in the last ten years? Anyone?
dudes to thread

IdleRich

IdleRich
I saw U2 picking a Brit award or something once and Bongo or Ed or whatever said "Don't worry we're still out here fucking up the mainstream!" so there's them of course.

luka

I watched xmen future past or something it was called and I'm looking at the faces thinking these aren't actual human beings these faces haven't been lived in

luka

Hugh Jackmans face is fine, nothing wrong with that face but as a rule faces have gone downhill badly. I include my own face in that but I'm not a Hollywood actor

version

Part of the reason films are rubbish now is that faces are rubbish
That's one of the things that stands out about Kurosawa and Leone films. They always have these leering grotesques in the windows of the town, close ups on some bloke with about two teeth, a monobrow and peeling sunburn.

luka

Yes correct but also great hero faces too. The Kurosawa heroes face is absolutely brilliant and so is Clint Eastwood for that matter

luka

I go outdoors and all I see is a million Simon Peggs looking back at me. Queuing for Starbucks or carrying little Simon Peggs in their baby slings

version

That's one of the things that stands out about Kurosawa and Leone films. They always have these leering grotesques in the windows of the town, close ups on some bloke with about two teeth, a monobrow and peeling sunburn.
43471238f8bb4d5f34620210f5d2325e.png