Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder what the view of Russia is now in "realpolitik" and military circles is in the West after a year of this disaster? Not very high I would think.
It's become a cliché to say that Putin has achieved in a few months what hawkish politicians in the west failed to achieve in 30 years: military humiliation and potential destabilization of Russia, massively increased military spending in Western countries, Finland and Sweden joining NATO...

vimothy

yurp
russia didnt roll Ukraine over but it also hasnt lost and it hasnt collapsed under the sanctions either. I dont think a bit of humility would hurt on either side

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
russia didnt roll Ukraine over but it also hasnt lost and it hasnt collapsed under the sanctions either. I dont think a bit of humility would hurt on either side
There's still hope for the forces of evil to prevail, is what you're holding out for, in other words.

vimothy

yurp
ok, I have no idea how to interpret that. ignoring the last few comments then, it doesnt seem like russia is on the verge of defeat. russia is doing pretty well. it seems instead like we're on a trajectory of escalation

wild greens

My current impression is that Russia are winning by the sheer fact that it's still going on and they're still making ground.

wild greens

The Chinese participation is key in a way but do you not think that in recent situations, rather than allies, China is now in control of the power dynamic between them

I'm no expert but traditionally that wasnt the case, economy and roles have flipped

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ok, I have no idea how to interpret that. ignoring the last few comments then, it doesnt seem like russia is on the verge of defeat. russia is doing pretty well. it seems instead like we're on a trajectory of escalation
How are they "doing pretty well" when they anticipated the fall of the Kyiv government in three days, yet well over a year later they control only slightly more of the country than they did before the invasion, after suffering enormous losses?

If that's "doing pretty well", then what would "doing pretty badly" look like to you?

They're rolling out T54s with passive infrared sights. Meaning, the turret mounts an IR spotlight so the tank commander or gunner or whatever, has a kind of night vision. Trouble is, waving a massive IR lantern around is one of the best ways ever conceived of making your tank a target for anyone with proper night vision on the battlefield.

China could presumably sell them enough night vision equipment to level it out a little. But they haven't. Why? Because they see Russia imploding, leaving rich pickings for them in the not too distant. Putin's meeting with Xi was more Stalin-Hitler than Churchill-Roosevelt, I reckon.

China is more likely to encroach on Russian territory than Republic of China's. Have been for years already, in much the same way they've encroached on Bhutanese territory - quietly building farms and villages outside their own borders where no-one's looking.

DannyL

Wild Horses
My current impression is that Russia are winning by the sheer fact that it's still going on and they're still making ground.
They've lost literally thousands upon thousands around Bakhmunt, squandered a huge amount of manpower for minimal gains. There will be a spring offensive soon and most probably, Russia will get their arse handed to them. All those new tanks are going to steam through their lines and they will collapse pretty fast, hypothesising from what we've seen so far.

wild greens

Then there's this reinvigorated BRICS thing going down, but what actually unites Saudi, Russia, China, Iran, India, other than the letter 'i'?

If you look at the constituent parts of this it is shifting a lot from the original concept- the belt & road scheme fell apart and China has had to write off billions to failing or bankrupt developers, plans scaled back

Then in the last five years Saudi has decided to open itself up to this new mega-tourism idea, the cube in the desert, the new Riyadh, loads of western developers on board. Very different ideas