DannyL

Wild Horses
They're rolling out T54s with passive infrared sights. Meaning, the turret mounts an IR spotlight so the tank commander or gunner or whatever, has a kind of night vision. Trouble is, waving a massive IR lantern around is one of the best ways ever conceived of making your tank a target for anyone with proper night vision on the battlefield.

China could presumably sell them enough night vision equipment to level it out a little. But they haven't. Why? Because they see Russia imploding, leaving rich pickings for them in the not too distant. Putin's meeting with Xi was more Stalin-Hitler than Churchill-Roosevelt, I reckon.
It was a cap in hand moment and Putin left basically in hock to China. They're going to benefit from cheap oil and Russia got fuck all apart from nominal support.

wild greens

They've lost literally thousands upon thousands around Bakhmunt, squandered a huge amount of manpower for minimal gains. There will be a spring offensive soon and most probably, Russia will get their arse handed to them.

For the last nine months all western media has tried to tell us that Russia will lose badly and are losing badly but they're still there. Ukraine have lost a lot of lads as well. I dunno

DannyL

Wild Horses
For the last nine months all western media has tried to tell us that Russia will lose badly and are losing badly but they're still there. Ukraine have lost a lot of lads as well. I dunno
Russia have huge manpower reserves. I don't know how Ukraine's stand up against that tbh. But the spring offensive is what to watch for. i mean, could go disastrously wrong I guess? But Russia seem to have literally no discipline as a fighting force. I hate to go so armchair general, I'm no expert. But we'll see.

vimothy

yurp
How are they "doing pretty well" when they anticipated the fall of the Kyiv government in three days, yet well over a year later they control only slightly more of the country than they did before the invasion, after suffering enormous losses?

If that's "doing pretty well", then what would "doing pretty badly" look like to you?
their economy collapses under sanctions and they can't afford to prosecute the war. which hasnt happened.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Who knows accurate loss numbers or trusts current sources

Russia will invest more of its own blood, Ukrainian demands for peace will include complete territorial sovereignty, so it can only grind on until winter and beyond. Perhaps when the loss tallies fully register around Russia and Putin eventually drops, a peace offer porthole might open

Putin‘s succession? Don’t get the hype around that show but who the f£ck follows Uncle Vlad? he’s facing has a huge legacy “out” quagmire and like any legacy, the jockeying for position is incalculably ruthless

Stark, for everyone, add forthcoming US gen election too

catalog

no but who's playing?
Croww is on the bill so that will be good. I've not heard of any of the others apart from florentino who is sort of a Latin, but good. And then the rest is some "pan" label showcase and bill kouligas is part of thst but tbh I'm unfamiliar with pan.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
their economy collapses under sanctions and they can't afford to prosecute the war. which hasnt happened.
It hasn't "collapsed" yet, in the sense of people suffering mass food shortages or whatever a "collapsing" economy looks like, but everything I've read suggests it's not exactly in rude health. I mean, if this can be corroborated:

then I'd call it pretty serious.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But you're just changing the subject, anyway, which wasn't "Has the West succeeded in destroying Russia's economy yet?", but "Has Russia's 'special military operation' succeeded in overthrowing the Ukrainian government yet?" If the answer to the first question is 'no', then the answer to the second can only be 'hell no'.

DannyL

Wild Horses
And "collapse" is a sufficiently elastic term that I feel Vimothy could wriggle around in it enough to come out with his "war is bad,m'kay" message whatever the circs.

version

The Nord Stream stuff seems like it's going to fizzle out, if it hasn't already. The Washington Post just published something poking holes in the latest official story, but they aren't making much of an effort to promote it.

This line is telling.

At gatherings of European and NATO policymakers, officials have settled into a rhythm, said one senior European diplomat: “Don’t talk about Nord Stream.” Leaders see little benefit from digging too deeply and finding an uncomfortable answer, the diplomat said, echoing sentiments of several peers in other countries who said they would rather not have to deal with the possibility that Ukraine or allies were involved.

droid

Yeah, it's quite remarkable. A historic attack on European energy infrastructure, arguably casus belli for war against its perpetrators, and yet, everyone's trying very hard to look the other way.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Tankies from the SWP have just lost an "anti-war" vote they constructed in the NEU (my old union). Great 'cos they're cunts but the numbers are still a bit close for my liking.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, it's quite remarkable. A historic attack on European energy infrastructure, arguably casus belli for war against its perpetrators, and yet, everyone's trying very hard to look the other way.
Do you guys have any sense who did it or might have done it? I haven't followed the story at all.

version

The US seems the most likely culprit. We've even got Biden publicly threatening to "bring an end to" the pipeline.

droid

It seemed obvious at the time that the Americans were the most likely perpetrators. Everything that has happened since seems to confirm those suspicions, most notably the conspicuous lack of attention and investigation of what is probably the most serious act of war against the EU since its founding.

Hersh's article outlined a plausible but far from watertight case. This was followed by the leaking of 'intelligence' that it was a non-state Ukrainian aligned group that hired boats that would be incapable of carrying enough explosives for the job. As version points out, that has dissolved like so much methane in the Baltic sea.

So, Occam's razor. The US had the means, motive and opportunity. They said they were going to do it, they celebrated publicly afterwards and now nobody wants to investigate it.

Lesson for Europeans? The US can and will attack your critical infrastructure without fear of consequence, and there's nothing you can do about it.