vimothy

yurp
Is anyone still actually scared by that talk? I think if he was gonna do it, he's have done it by now. And I remain convinced that anyone who says "I'm not bluffing" is definitely bluffing.
are you really not scared by the prospect of nuclear war?

vimothy

yurp
I heard from a military analyst, someone who was a US liaison at NATO HQ, that Putin knows he is dead if he does that. They know precisely where he is at all times and would send multiple warheads to his location, wherever that might be, to ensure the job is done.
but the obvious point is that the nukes are a last resort. putin is hitting the button only when he has no other options, so the threat in response no longer applies

version

Is anyone still actually scared by that talk? I think if he was gonna do it, he's have done it by now. And I remain convinced that anyone who says "I'm not bluffing" is definitely bluffing.

Well, people said similar things about him invading and look how that turned out.

vimothy

yurp
at what point does it enter your thinking as a potential outcome? two nuclear powers go to war - is there some other criteria which has to be breached?

but the obvious point is that the nukes are a last resort. putin is hitting the button only when he has no other options, so the threat in response no longer applies
If he thought he can ride it out in the Altai mountains, he's since been informed that assumption is wrong. Mutually and personally assured destruction, in his case.

I wonder if Perimeter is still running? Hope not.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@vimothy I think we can all agree that Putin is a lot less well informed than we thought (and he thought) he was prior to February last year, right? But that doesn't mean he isn't a rational actor. What benefits would the use of tactical nuclear weapons bring Russia? What would be the negative effects? And what would be the negative effects for him, personally?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
so you agree that its possible? and are there any situations which make it more likely? what do they look like?
Of course it's possible. What I'm saying is that the war has been going badly enough for long enough that he's already had a motive for using nuclear weapons for some time, and hasn't. That's telling in itself. It's also pretty likely that Russia's nuclear arsenal is virtually or literally unusable due to decades of poor to nonexistent maintenance, and that he knows this, or at least suspects it.

vimothy

yurp
I imagine that putin wants to retain power. and moreover wants to avoid winding up like Gaddafi. so if that's on the cards, nukes look like an attractive option. maybe there are other things that bring them onto the table, idk. theyre there arent they, it would be foolish to think that Russia isnt going to use them, ever

vimothy

yurp
Of course it's possible. What I'm saying is that the war has been going badly enough for long enough that he's already had a motive for using nuclear weapons for some time, and hasn't. That's telling in itself. It's also pretty likely that Russia's nuclear arsenal is virtually or literally unusable due to decades of poor to nonexistent maintenance, and that he knows this, or at least suspects it.
if russias nuclear weapons are completely unusable then surely we would know

I worry that he might lob a revenge SS20 at Kiev on the way out, or threaten to do so in response to any incursion into Russia following a rout. Tactical weapons are useless in Ukraine, there's a very specific offensive doctrine that calls for their use.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
if russias nuclear weapons are completely unusable then surely we would know
How do you mean, "we would know"?

A lot of people whose job it is to know about this kind of thing strongly suspect this. That falls short of certain knowledge, of course. The obvious response is "but do we want to put it to the test?", of course.