vimothy

yurp
but do you know that they're unusable, or are you just saying they might be?
Do you mean via weapons inspections? Are they continuing, and do they give a 5-star rating for reliability.
Doesn't seem impossible that their ICBMs use non-Russian (Ukrainian, lol) components that need replacing.

vimothy

yurp
let's just assume, for arguments sake, that they work. then do you agree that we have to factor them in to the overall calculus of the war?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
let's just assume, for arguments sake, that they work. then do you agree that we have to factor them in to the overall calculus of the war?
Of course. But as I've said, I don't think Putin is suicidal or insane, and even if he were, he is surrounded other powerful and influential people, at least some of whom are not. It's not like he presses a button on his phone and boom, there goes London and Washington. He is obviously well aware that NATO possesses the ability to destroy Russia, too.

or can we just write off russias nuclear deterrent?
Everything except hypersonic nuclear deterrent — probably. The US can intercept and destroy the majority of incoming warheads, and the yields of those that do penetrate are much smaller these days, thanks to increased accuracy. Personally, not that bothered, it's nothing like as scary as the 80s.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Is that a euphemism for "let him have Ukraine and hope he goes away"?
That was what I was thinking
The thing with the anti-war left (which is not Vimoty, I know) is that they never spell it out
Cos the logic means if you launch a war of aggression, threaten to nuke everyone when you're challenged, you will be rewarded.
Not at all a recipe for peace.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not sure what you want me to say. ending the war requires some kind of compromise. idk what that is. pre 2014 situ seems like a good place to start.
Which is impossible while Russia still holds territory that it's taken since last February, right?

DannyL

Wild Horses
not sure what you want me to say. ending the war requires some kind of compromise. idk what that is. pre 2014 situ seems like a good place to start.
Losing Crimea or having that seriously challenged will be the pinch point I think. Might lead to nukes or a chemical weapons attack, Idk.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Never mind the vacuity of insisting that one party "negotiate" with an aggressor that has its knife to their throat.

vimothy

yurp
I dont agree that russia is being expansionist however. its response to nato expansion is not surprising. you can imagine how the us would respond if the tables were turned. altho in fact you dont have to imagine, bc it happened with similar results

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The thing with the anti-war left (which is not Vimoty, I know) is that they never spell it out
Cos the logic means if you launch a war of aggression, threaten to nuke everyone when you're challenged, you will be rewarded.
Yeah, it's an argument for every state with the requisite resources to acquire nuclear weapons immediately. A pacifist case for universal armament.

vimothy

yurp
but at a certain point, the war ends right? and then you negotiate for peace?