Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also, is it accurate to refer to Prigozhin as a neo-nazi? I heard some account of the origin of the name "Wagner" as having something to do with some German WW1 personnel or equipment, but I forget the details. Think I heard that in a seminar by Sean McFate, an expert on private military companies, but it could have been from somewhere else.

Leo

Love how whenever the Times mentions Prigozhin, they describe him as a billionaire who runs a catering business.

Leo

Flights are apparently leaving Moscow now, Putin's presidential plane among them.

Understandable that you’d want to move a country’s leader out of harm’s way, but it’s a really bad look for strongman Putin to be seen fleeing his power center.

Leo

Russia, like China, likes to blame every domestic problem on the West, particularly the US. Hard to pull that off in this one, although I’ve already seen one Russian official say “international force could be involved”.

Leo

What sort of deal was struck? What could Wagner get in return for calling off the trek to Moscow? Did Putin agree to fire his own generals?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
A feint, clear out of certain armed forces management, plausible deniability

Prigozhin would make a decent scrum-half peering over a pack of brutes

Wake up tomorrow cunt’s being dragged dead through the streets of Rostov behind a horse

version

A feint, clear out of certain armed forces management, plausible deniability

The flaw in that theory's that, whichever way you slice it, it makes Putin look weak. He's either unable or unwilling to remove his opponents himself or he's lost control of a sizeable chunk of his military forces and been bullied by them.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
The flaw in that theory's that, whichever way you slice it, it makes Putin look weak. He's either unable or unwilling to remove his opponents himself or he's lost control of a sizeable chunk of his military forces and being bullied by them.

To which Putin says “what, I was lied to by the entire top brass? Yevgeny, eggs benedict, just the way I like them!”

(no idea, tincture is kicking in hard hence the prior horse drawn corpse caveat)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also, is it accurate to refer to Prigozhin as a neo-nazi? I heard some account of the origin of the name "Wagner" as having something to do with some German WW1 personnel or equipment, but I forget the details. Think I heard that in a seminar by Sean McFate, an expert on private military companies, but it could have been from somewhere else.
Well it was apparently founded by Dmitri Utkin, callsign 'Wagner', who is a known neo-Nazi and has SS tats. Then there's the whole massive-antisemite-and-Hitler's-favourite-composer angle, although I suppose that could just be an unfortunate coincidence.