padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I laughed at the luka is a crypto-christian tag btw. narcissicism will never be dematerialized is also pretty good.

luka

im not sure we've discussed a lot of pop music. barty analysed an r&b song. i analysed an r&b song... he posted a rita ora song.

luka

to answer your question, dematerialisation is about digitisation primarily, that and the increasingly omnipresent and inescapable internet. you keep trying to make it into some cosmic thing for some weird reason of your own

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i learnt a new american word today and it kinda ties into these discussions. it's making me super depressed.

it's 'infantalisation'

i am childish in some respects but that term just rubs me up the wrong way. but maybe that's what the internet is doing to us.

luka

infantilisation is largely driven by capitalism, rather than the internet specifically in my view.

"i want, i want, i want"

and some nanny-state stuff, pushing in from the other side.

("no drinkies after midnight" etc etc)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
for now

many things have seemed inevitable and eternal, until they weren't

of course there's no guarantee that if there was something else that it would be better

i have the sinking feeling that come global warming fucking us up it will be like terra(?) in the dispossessed. where the ambassador talks about the most ruthless centralisation. no (to each according to need) but more like to each in order to survive.

padraig (u.s.)

idk about anyone else but I don't mean god or religion or spirituality in any cosmological sense, cos I don't believe in any of that stuff

it's talking about how people relate to the world around them, the mediums we use to try to explain the world to ourselves, the shorthand we use to abstract concepts

how is that not about digitization and the omnipresent internet?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i learnt a new american word today and it kinda ties into these discussions. it's making me super depressed.

it's 'infantalisation'

i am childish in some respects but that term just rubs me up the wrong way. but maybe that's what the internet is doing to us.

Read the first chapter of Consumed by Benjamin Barber if you want to be more depressed. Think of 30+ year olds with Mario tattoos. It's massively relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:

luka

i want to get you involved not just have you going

"ya, not my scene man, too trippy for me. im a solid fact man. no speculation, no imaginings, just rock hard facts from top to bottom"

there's space for you you know. i dont want to play by myself.

padraig (u.s.)

explain your position
I'm not really trying to take and defend a position like debate club thing

just to have discourse that clarifies thoughts or inspires new ones

but I laid out my whole basic position in my first post in this thread - it's on page 5 or 6 I think, it's a few paragraphs long

luka

but if you wont join in and play along then what are you doing?

what do you want? i dont mean that to sound hostile although i realise it does somewhat.

im curious.

padraig (u.s.)

i dont want to play by myself
ya ya I should have been clear - I like to contribute where I can, just can't get into autotune etc. I'm sure it is a fruitful avenue of exploration, just not my thing.

come on man tho FOH with too trippy tho, wasn't I just suggesting cave-based hallucinogens the other day

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Read the first chapter of Consumed by Benjamin Barber if you want to be more depressed. Think of 30+ year olds with Mario tattoos. It's massively relevant to this discussion.

that wasn't quite what i was talking about, by that logic happy hardcoe and power metal were pre-internet infantalisations. i mean, the merger of the state with digital surveillance and the despicable postmodern family form. 'the family you can choose.' vile! the family must be destroyed.

luka

im not asking you to like or even listen to autotune. or pop music. or anything you cant bear to listen to. its a much broader investigation. i deliberately tried to make something everyone could participate in and as, very obviously, we all use the internet, i thought a thread on the impact of the internet, and digitisation more generally, on all aspects of life might work quite well.

i called it dematerialisation not becasue i think we are literally approaching the rapture but becasue that is the limit of the trajectory we are on. i agree there is something of the 'mytho-poetic' or whatever about the title and some of my more giddy posts but the its completely reality based and materialist.