padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
omg how are yall talking about zhao and failing to mention Black Athena

it is, even more than AIDS denialism, the zhao ur-text

craner

Beast of Burden
In 2005 Luke convinced a few people, but in particular Droid, that I was being paid to contribute to this forum by a neoconservative think tank called The Ravelstein Foundation.

• Love
Reactions: sus

padraig (u.s.)

on non-zhao related news, there was the flame war comelately + I had about pick-up artists, featuring various wild tantric etc sex claims

but we made up on that a few months ago + it's all water under the bridge now

craner

Beast of Burden
There was also the time that Marcello Carlin threatened to sue the entire forum for defamation of character, but I cannot remember why.

craner

Beast of Burden
There used to be days when the politics forum was a total bloodbath. It was a pleasure to be a part of it.

padraig (u.s.)

There used to be days when the politics forum was a total bloodbath. It was a pleasure to be a part of it.
it was of its time

10 years ago (about when I showed up) was such a different time online, much more naive

the illusion that arguments on the internet somehow mattered was much stronger

albeit I think those kinds of open flame wars were less toxic - not than dissensus, but what the meta of internet discourse is now - at least they were up front and mostly sincere

padraig (u.s.)

dissensus has always been blessedly free of trolls to a large extent

crazy people held their opinions sincerely

in this Silver Age we're currently experiencing it's become far more collegial, less po-faced than it used to be

you'd never have had this level of inside humor back then

it's a bit of a double-edged sword but ultimately well to the positive

as internet discourse in general has hardened, dissensus has gone other way + become more elastic

it's still a place where people can change their minds about things

padraig (u.s.)

Marcello is functioning as a morbidly compelling example of how not to be a good Spinozist
the rare but devastating Spinoza burn

he's meant to be the philosopher's philosopher so I guess if you really care about that stuff it's pretty harsh

luka

In 2005 Luke convinced a few people, but in particular Droid, that I was being paid to contribute to this forum by a neoconservative think tank called The Ravelstein Foundation.

Arguably my finest hour

padraig (u.s.)

Large chunks are Joe/Nomadology galloping up and down on their respective hobbyhorses (sinister power-blocs taking over the cultural sector / the merits of corporate effective altruism versus so-called revolutionary politics)
who else remembers the time Nomad told us she was going to transcribe a Remarc tune to prove that jungle was overrated?

padraig (u.s.)

I - like the all old heads I assume - really wish she around these days now the place is back to life

she was a crazy in the good way presence

luka

it was of its time

10 years ago (about when I showed up) was such a different time online, much more naive

the illusion that arguments on the internet somehow mattered was much stronger

albeit I think those kinds of open flame wars were less toxic - not than dissensus, but what the meta of internet discourse is now - at least they were up front and mostly sincere

It's arguable that that is as strong as ever. Twitter is gorier than anything pre social media. They would have got in touch with craners employer and had him sacked!