What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well we talking about “an islamophobia scare” which isn’t the same thing as islamophobia.

Hmm, well OK, but it looked a lot like "Here is Emily Thornberry being Islamophobic."

In any case, I'm sure we can agree it was overshadowed by Johnson's obnoxious "pillarbox" article, which was doubly obnoxious for adopting a fake pose of concern for victims of Islamic patriarchy, and led to a predictable spike in hate crimes that were both racist and misogynist.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
x-post from the Joozz thread:

This is true - and as you say, hard to disagree, if you think people shouldn't be pushed around and treated like shit.

But it points to a kind of have-your-cake-and-eat-it attitude I've noticed among a lot of Corbynites. On the one hand, the fact that Corbyn has always supported the world's underdogs is a huge part of his appeal, and a vital aspect of that is his support for oppressed people's right to use violence against their oppressors. The power-sharing agreement in Northern Ireland didn't come about because Gerry Adams is really good at organising petitions, after all. So if Corbyn supports the IRA (which he does), and if the IRA are terrorists (which they are), then the unavoidable conclusion of the syllogism is that Corbyn supports terrorism.

On the other hand, Corbynites also want it to be a lie, a slander, a grotesque calumny, when anyone actually says "Corbyn supports terrorists."

Another example I've come across is how Corbynites will defend his Euroscepticism, on the grounds that the EU is apparently neoliberal, racist, undemocratic (a common argument from the Brexity Right, that one) and whatever else. But if *anyone else* points to it, and in negative terms, they never just say "well he's right, so what" - it's always "Jeremy campaigned passionately for Remain!". I've had people tell me with a straight face that the idea that Corbyn is pro-Brexit is a "Blairite smear", rather than, you know, a demonstrable fact.

So with respect to subvert47, it's in large part for reasons like this that I call it a cult.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
So with respect to subvert47, it's in large part for reasons like this that I call it a cult.

And, with no respect whatsoever, in doing so you make yourself seem like a total moron.

it's always "Jeremy campaigned passionately for Remain!". I've had people tell me with a straight face that the idea that Corbyn is pro-Brexit is a "Blairite smear", rather than, you know, a demonstrable fact.

Corbyn did campaign for Remain, and it was his supposedly half-hearted 7/10 perspective that persuaded a lot of Labour supporters to vote that way. So the idea that he's hugely pro-Brexit is a steaming pile of turd.

But even if he was, or if he doesn't really care either way, it wouldn't matter. Corbyn doesn't get to unilaterally decide Labour party policy, which is: to present a harm-reduction Brexit as an option vs. Remain in a second vote. And if we get that, most of the Labour party will campaign to Remain.

luka

Most people have a rule here about refusing to talk politics with Mr Tea. I suggest you join us and take the oath.

luka

Talk to him about wild mushrooms, the large hadron collider, resturaunts in Exeter, real ale, casseroles, HP Lovecraft, HP sauce, but never politics. It's best for everyone.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Labour starting to rise in polls as all those don't knows/undecideds who voted Lab last time come back home:
Con up as well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Corbyn's campaigning for Remain was half-hearted, which is entirely understandable, because he has spent his entire career criticising the EU and the EEC before that. In a sense I can't even blame him for it. He was put in the position of having to support something he is emphatically against.

And I find it hard to believe that Corbyn persuaded many Labour voters to vote Remain, who would otherwise have voted Leave. Labour Leave voters are generally working-class people in industrial and ex-industrial areas in the west Midlands, south Wales and the North, and they mostly couldn't give a toss about a middle-class metropolitan like Corbyn, whose natural constituency is inner London and the souther university towns.

And, with no respect whatsoever, in doing so you make yourself seem like a total moron.

Another thing about cults is that people in them develop such a strong emotional attachment to the cult-object that any criticism of it is read as a personal attack on them and is liable to trigger childish insults in return.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Another thing about cults is that people in them develop such a strong emotional attachment to the cult-object that any criticism of it is read as a personal attack on them and is liable to trigger childish insults in return.

nice try, but...

Most people have a rule here about refusing to talk politics with Mr Tea. I suggest you join us and take the oath.

🔫

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Talk to him about wild mushrooms, the large hadron collider, resturaunts in Exeter, real ale, casseroles, HP Lovecraft, HP sauce, but never politics. It's best for everyone.

I can't help but detect some irony here. You're very earnest about music, poetry, psychedelics, conspiracy theories, all the things you know about and care about, but in general I think you must be the least politically engaged person I know. You always moan than political debates are the worst part of Dissensus (not that that stops you getting involved), and you wouldn't be seen dead doing anything as sad and square as going on a demo or joining a party.

But when a topic like this comes up, and you think you've spotted an opportunity to wind me or Dan up, suddenly you're a card-carrying member of Momentum, StWC and the PLO.

I don't really care about getting grief from subvert about Corbyn or from droid about Iraq, because they argue from real conviction. When you get on this stuff, I just get a huge sense of disingenuousness. I can almost hear you totting up scores in your head.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ok mate whatever you say good luck finding someone to have a fight with.

To quote padraig, come off it. You can't strike this Mr Social Justice pose while at the same time saying "there's not that many Jews so they'll just have to suck it up for the greater good" and pretending not to understand the difference between criticising Israel and being mates with Hamas.

Well, I mean you can, clearly. But I'm going to tell you you're full of shit. I don't care if you don't agree with me, but this dishonesty is annoying.

version

Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage will not run in UK election

LONDON (Reuters) - Nigel Farage, the leader of Britain’s upstart Brexit Party, said on Sunday he would not stand in next month’s election, choosing instead to campaign countrywide against Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s EU divorce deal.

“I have thought very hard about this: How do I serve the cause of Brexit best?” he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

“Do I find a seat and try to get myself into parliament or do I serve the cause better traversing the length and breadth of the United Kingdom supporting 600 candidates, and I’ve decided the latter course is the right one.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...age-will-not-run-in-uk-election-idUKKBN1XD05Y

luka

To quote padraig, come off it. You can't strike this Mr Social Justice pose while at the same time saying "there's not that many Jews so they'll just have to suck it up for the greater good" and pretending not to understand the difference between criticising Israel and being mates with Hamas.

Well, I mean you can, clearly. But I'm going to tell you you're full of shit. I don't care if you don't agree with me, but this dishonesty is annoying.

You spent all yesterday desperately searching for a fight. Something comical about your desperation.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think Tea about to be a father v(as in, probably is already by the time I write this). I foresee less internet rucking in the future.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You spent all yesterday desperately searching for a fight. Something comical about your desperation.

You were coming out with comments that spanned the full spectrum from pig-ignorant to wilfully offensive, so I assumed you were playing one of your amusing games to get a rise out of me. I said as much and then you got cross.

version

No 10 blocks Russia EU referendum report until after election

Downing Street has effectively blocked the publication of a potentially explosive parliamentary report on the security threat that Russia poses to the UK until after the general election.

The 50-page document from the intelligence and security committee examines allegations that Kremlin-sponsored activity distorted the result of the 2016 EU referendum, but has to be cleared by No 10 before it can be released.

Downing Street indicated on Monday that it would not approve publication before parliament is dissolved on Tuesday evening, meaning that it cannot now appear before the election on 12 December.

The committee’s report is understood to examine allegations that Russian money has flowed into British politics in general and the Conservative party in particular. It also features claims that Russia launched a major influence operation in 2016 in support of Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election