padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
as I also said initially, I feel for anyone with relatively left politics who has to vote in this upcoming election

luka

clearly it's a big enough issue to enough people that it could realistically stop him and Labour from winning one of the most important elections Britain's ever had

That I'm not so sure about. Most people here don't know any Jews. I don't know any. There's very few in this country.

padraig (u.s.)

Other people think a strong stance towards Israel is a moral imperative and collusion with their crimes is unacceptable. Droid is in that boat.
droid + I don't disagree fundamentally on Israel, which I know to be true because we've talked about it

there's a gulf of distance between Corbyn and not colluding with the actions (including crimes) of the Israeli govt

padraig (u.s.)

That I'm not so sure about. Most people here don't know any Jews. I don't know any. There's very few in this country.
not by itself maybe, but it will definitely be a factor - look at the way the Labour Party is eating itself alive over it

padraig (u.s.)

put it like this: it's totally fair to hold Israel to a higher standard. they proclaim it themselves, whether or not they live up to it.

but where is this dude on crimes perpetrated in ways/by people that don't fit into that worldview of righteous resistance? fucking nowhere

it's what Danny was getting at above

tbf it's not just Corbyn, it's a typical failing of the left to critically engage with the flaws of people and movements that ideologically we'd like to support

or to be blinded by that support

of course, imperial violence is almost always worse. that doesn't mean you can just condemn it and then overlook it when it's someone you like.

sufi

lala
droid + I don't disagree fundamentally on Israel, which I know to be true because we've talked about it

there's a gulf of distance between Corbyn and not colluding with the actions (including crimes) of the Israeli govt

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-my-jewish-ancestry-1.58487 I met Corbyn many years ago, i found him very humble and impressive. I was pretty surprised to see him as party leader. The anti-semitism issue is a skewer for him, and the labour party is a toxic hole.
Who's been to Israel, then? There's a fair bit more to it than the Govt :(

luka

Yes I grasp Danny's point. It's something Mr Tea has been saying for 100 years.

sufi

lala
As someone raised in UK, i would say that i have internalised anti-semitism, from being brought up in an anti-semitic culture. I live off White Hart Lane.

The other day i noticed that the Magna carta has a little anti-semitic jibe - did you know that?

luka

padraig (u.s.)

my dad's lived there for 30+ years. he grew up secular, became very religious in his late 20s, divorced my mom, moved there, etc.

he's very right-wing in a very Israeli sense - socially liberal (he volunteered for Democrat campaigns in college), but ultrahawkish, hates Palestinians, etc. Staunch Shas voter. we don't talk much.

I've never been. had the chance to when I was younger, passed on it for both personal and political reasons.

I do try to get people to differentiate between Israel, the Israeli govt, and individual Israelis, because they are all different things that get lumped together as "Israel"

sufi

lala
my dad's lived there for 30+ years. he grew up secular, became very religious in his late 20s, divorced my mom, moved there, etc.

he's very right-wing in a very Israeli sense - socially liberal (he volunteered for Democrat campaigns in college), but ultrahawkish, hates Palestinians, etc. Staunch Shas voter. we don't talk much.

I've never been. had the chance to when I was younger, passed on it for both personal and political reasons.

I do try to get people to differentiate between Israel, the Israeli govt, and individual Israelis, because they are all different things that get lumped together as "Israel"
Yeah you got it

luka

As someone raised in UK, i would say that i have internalised anti-semitism, from being brought up in an anti-semitic culture. I live off White Hart Lane.

The other day i noticed that the Magna carta has a little anti-semitic jibe - did you know that?

I remember the first time I heard an anti Semitic slur. I was in my 20s. I thought, how weird, you must have learned that off telly cos there's no way you could have met enough Jews to have a grudge against them. It was a builder I was working for.

You just don't generally meet Jews over here. How would you even form an opinion?

You probably pick yours up in the mosque Sufi.

luka

I went to a predominantly Muslim sixth form and I do remember one Pakistani kid telling the history teacher hitler had done deals with the Arabs to deal with the Jews and he was a truly great man who had the right idea.

sufi

lala
there were jewish kids at my school, my dad told me about his enduring shame for not sticking up for a jewish kid at his school

sufi

lala
muslim anti-semitism is different here from white anti-semitism, itself a distinctive british racism, and also different from middle-eastern anti-semitism

sufi

lala
i guess my point is we all have prejudices, there's been A-S in UK since time immemorial, since the very foundation of the state, it's part of the culture - look at Tottenham FC
& its present in the left, the labour party, the various palestinian and anti-israel and mid-east groups

i struggle to see jc as a deliberate anti-semite, but he's certainly not covered himself in glory throughout this episode