MJ vs. Prince

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
You can see him trying to alter his face to look like his sister's over time.
Diana Ross - his original idol - is usually given as the person he was trying to look like

very sad of course, either way. almost his entire life was obviously, interminably sad.

I should say I can no longer listen to his music. I hear it diagetically in the world, of course, but never by choice.

granted it's not the hardest sacrifice for me, but I think if I found out for example Lou Reed was almost certainly a pedophile I'd have to stop listening to the VU.

not a judgment on anyone else. just an individual decision we all have to make about any problematic artist. one day I found I just couldn't do it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The discussion about pastiche music is interesting. What Barry said about Clipse seems very astute.

The story about Prince playing slap bass in Michael's face lmao

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That video highlights how prince/MJ is a sort of archetypal battle - or (since things are more complicated) is framed that way. (I'm tempted to compare McCartney/Lennon, too.) Two models of genius.

Messi Ronaldo?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
sorry I can't let this pass

the ultimate transcendent pop figure, and possibly (as an artist) a force for some kind of global good, if you believe pop music can be such, OK

but this is complete insanity, even by the standards of hyperbole concerning a childhood hero

like it's such a crazy statement that it becomes hard to trust any other opinion a person might have about him

You realise I was talking musically, right? https://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=15163&page=11&p=412556#post412556 so many people set out to do it, but I don't believe anyone achieved it on that level, especially for my generation wrt race and promoting being good. It's a conversation I've had with countless POCs from several corners of the globe who feel the same way. It's funny how often he gets brought up out of the blue when talking music. He changed the world with his music at an unprecedented level. And the point being, him as a pop artist (which I'm the first to be skeptical of) set out to do just that, and he did it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Who was the biggest black Star before MJ?

I was also wondering if there were any black male icons who were so androgynous before MJ/Prince?

luka

This thread has if nothing else the greatest Sufi post in 15 years of dissensus he's been moved to transcendent poetry speaking with an Angels tongue!

Loads of great posts on this. They obviously mean a lot to people.

luka

sorry I can't let this pass

the ultimate transcendent pop figure, and possibly (as an artist) a force for some kind of global good, if you believe pop music can be such, OK

but this is complete insanity, even by the standards of hyperbole concerning a childhood hero

like it's such a crazy statement that it becomes hard to trust any other opinion a person might have about him

A lot of us on here are a bit mad, in various different ways. That's part of the reason dissensus is more fun that talking to your aunt on Facebook.

version

You can't really do an impression of Prince. He's totally unique, but there don't seem to be any specific ticks or anything you can latch onto like you can with MJ. All Chappelle can do here is wear clothes a bit like his and try to be mysterious/serious.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've read online that MJs famous childlike voice was a total put-on he did for the public (for the white public/media in particular) that in private he spoke like an adult. Perhaps that whole persona was just a way to hide in plain sight? (Or a tool for appearing nonthreatening.)

luka

I've read online that MJs famous childlike voice was a total put-on he did for the public (for the white public/media in particular) that in private he spoke like an adult. Perhaps that whole persona was just a way to hide in plain sight? (Or a tool for appearing nonthreatening.)

Yeah this is the supposed fact that made the most impression on me. That in real life he had a big deep gruff voice like Ving Rhames. The sort of thing that pulls the rug out from under your reality. Vertigo.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Lol gtfo! He was stunted, permafrozen as a prepubescent. The real rumour is his dad snuck oestrogen into his food to alter his development. No idea if it's true tho

sadmanbarty

I think he's just not there in his music. He's solely at the service of the music. He doesn't Impose himself on it or project himself through it. Not as a personality.

this was the blueprint for a lot of (mainly female) rnb artists in the late-90's and early-2000's. you get the outrageously charming witney before. chaka of course. that's the 80's. then, maybe starting with mariah actually, you get this crop of song vessel, non-character singers. aaliyah. brandy. destiny's child was the beginning of the end of that, with rihanna really being its complete inverse.

its a clever thing to do, have sonically an incredibly distinctive voice as was the case with brandy, but to transmit no personality along with that.

luka

Yeah I don't think contra Slackk that is necessarily a bad thing at all. As you say, disappearance is a clever trick.

sadmanbarty

whenever someone uses the term "authenticity" to describe music, my immediate assumption is it's shit.

its makes me think it'll sound like nick cave or something.