luka

You should have noticed by now I don't believe in that Internet debate club thing of evidence and sources and logic and that. Not interested.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But most people didn't give a shit about the details. They wanted to leave the EU come what may. That's what they voted for. Leave the EU. Not this boring detail that you think should have mattered to them.

You're simply dodging the issue of why so many people felt such a strong desire to leave the EU.

And sure, if you want to take a strictly skeptical view, I "didn't know what I was voting for" when I voted to remain, because I don't have an in-depth understanding of the EU's inner workings. But that's beside the point. I know enough to understand that this country's problems are not due to the EU but to the policies of successive UK governments and that leaving the EU is going to exacerbate these problems and create a whole load of new ones.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You should have noticed by now I don't believe in that Internet debate club thing of evidence and sources and logic and that. Not interested.

This smacks of disingenuity. You obviously hold the opinions you do because of how you see the real, empirical world, just as everyone else does, and not because they were revealed to you in a dream by Uriel, however much you'd like to give that impression. You obviously don't think politics is a "throw of the dice" to the extent that you'd ever vote Tory or BNP just for the hell of it. You see conspiracies everywhere you look but are apparently content to accept Brexit as an inexplicable natural phenomenon (perhaps because conspiracy theories are no fun when they're demonstrably true).

And yet you always, always get involved, and then when someone says "Well why do you think that?" you're suddenly "not interested". It's like when someone on twitter comes out with an utterly fucking stupid opinion, gets their arse handed to them on a plate and responds with "yawn".

luka

I e never managed to explain myself to you tea. Most other people get it but with you it doesnt connect. Oh well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yes that's right, you abide in an ethereal plane far out of the reach of a muggle like me. :slanted:

comelately

Wild Horses
But most people didn't give a shit about the details. They wanted to leave the EU come what may. That's what they voted for. Leave the EU. Not this boring detail that you think should have mattered to them.

One should, I think, remember that if 2% of the voters went the other way things would have been very different. So even if your suggestion is true (it isn't), what really matters was the swing voter.

People are essentially pluralistic. They liked the idea of this 'taking back control' stuff but they needed a certain amount of reassurance that things weren't going to go too pears, which they received in spades. Did some people kind of know they were being sold a pup? I am sure some did....which is why Gove of all people can be all like 'c'mon guys, you knew all along we were bullshitting you right? Surely you weren't that stupid?'. I mean even to this day, you get intelligent Brexiteers on Twitter taking Boris Johnson's words at face value and the cognitive dissonance involved is a sight to behold. There's some on this thread too.

Remainers didn't necessarily know what they were voting for (except, as mentioned, their continuing right to live and work in the EU), but I think a lot of them knew what they were voting against quite well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've just opened a beer.

Edit: FFS, I've obviously exhausted my gif-fu for the evening. Well just imagine Simon Pegg raising a glass to your good health in Sean of the Dead.

Attachments

• sean_of_the_dead_pint.jpg
    sean_of_the_dead_pint.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 19

luka

One should, I think, remember that if 2% of the voters went the other way things would have been very different. So even if your suggestion is true (it isn't), what really matters was the swing voter.

People are essentially pluralistic. They liked the idea of this 'taking back control' stuff but they needed a certain amount of reassurance that things weren't going to go too pears, which they received in spades. Did some people kind of know they were being sold a pup? I am sure some did....which is why Gove of all people can be all like 'c'mon guys, you knew all along we were bullshitting you right? Surely you weren't that stupid?'. I mean even to this day, you get intelligent Brexiteers on Twitter taking Boris Johnson's words at face value and the cognitive dissonance involved is a sight to behold. There's some on this thread too.

Remainers didn't necessarily know what they were voting for (except, as mentioned, their continuing right to live and work in the EU), but I think a lot of them knew what they were voting against quite well.

Yeah it's a weird situation but votes are usually decided by small margins. Not sure what the answer is

luka

I think what to do when we lose is a pretty big and important question. I'm not personally into the old racism or anything. Everyone on dissensus is a liberal whether they admit it or not and I'm no different. John Eden is the quintessential liberal but he likes to pretend he's a communist. That's ok. I like to pretend I'm still young.

But I think this argument is not an argument about Brexit it is an argument about what we should do when we lose. I happen to agree with Eden.

luka

There's a contingent of us here on the forum, me, Eden, Craner, Barty, who think pretending we didn't lose is not a very useful path forwRd.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean, I guess that in a sense that's what we have to do but I think we have to learn not to get cheated again - of course, I'd like a do-over as they say in the US but that won't happen, but what mustn't happen is that we get done over again in the same way.

luka

Ignore/forget about it and carry on as usual? Genuine question.

I think us lot have said, we are not going to reverse the decision so there's more profitable uses of our time. Me personally, I won't do fuck all, it's purely theoretical