Later in red and white cans.

william_kent

it was weird - my drinking companion was convinced that I was the one who told her it was known as "wife beater" and I have no recollection of ever telling her that, I had to deny it, saying that that tonight was the first time I've heard it...

fuck, dementia in full effect

woops

is not like other people
PRC_194989612.jpg

PRI_194978631.jpg

PRI_195237439-e1629282619132.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
it was weird - my drinking companion was convinced that I was the one who told her it was known as "wife beater" and I have no recollection of ever telling her that, I had to deny it, saying that that tonight was the first time I've heard it...

fuck, dementia in full effect
It's a well known name for it.
Though a wife-beater can also be a sleeveless vest I believe.

woops

is not like other people
there is a constant erosion of beer strength in the UK. stella was 5.2 when i used to drink it. holsten pils used to be 5.6 apparently same as zywiec still is. tyskie was 5.6 for ages but is 5% now. punk ipa has just gone down from 5.6 to 5.4, in wetherspoons on tap it's 5.2. i've already said that even special brew has gone down a whole percentage from 9 to 8.

william_kent

although as a pacifist I can not condone any violence whatsoever, even as a flippant remark, so I feel justified in not recognising joke terms for domestic violence

IdleRich

IdleRich
there is a constant erosion of beer strength in the UK. stella was 5.2 when i used to drink it. holsten pils used to be 5.6 apparently same as zywiec still is. tyskie was 5.6 for ages but is 5% now. punk ipa has just gone down from 5.6 to 5.4, in wetherspoons on tap it's 5.2. i've already said that even special brew has gone down a whole percentage from 9 to 8.
So they bring Heineken lower and lower... and then they release the deluxe, super-strength Heineken Export, probably the same as the original...
although as a pacifist I can not condone any violence whatsoever, even as a flippant remark, so I feel justified in not recognising joke terms for domestic violence
I never quite understood that name, is it more linked to domestic violence than any other beer? If so then why? And if not, then why the name?

woops

is not like other people
I never quite understood that name, is it more linked to domestic violence than any other beer? If so then why? And if not, then why the name?
some people say drinking stella makes them angry. i've never found that myself

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
A pint of wife-beater is typically cider. Not in an actual glass, ciders of the zero apple variety like

64019C16-F02B-460C-BC26-C7B746E8E86E.jpeg

an apple shouldn’t be blue

plus Frosty Jacks and T’s Super

A pint of husband-beater can be a pint of white wine or a pint of gin, choose your weapons ladies

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Even the Old Rosie I cooked with the other night has been reduced from 7.3% to a paltry 6.8%.

Leo

I doubt lowering the alcohol level makes it any cheaper to produce, why do you think this one (and other brands) dropped the percentage? do they get taxed more for higher percentages?

woops

is not like other people
I doubt lowering the alcohol level makes it any cheaper to produce, why do you think this one (and other brands) dropped the percentage? do they get taxed more for higher percentages?
yep

Leo

ah, didn't realize. so does that mean whiskey and other spirits producers pay the most tax?

luka

Beer Duty​

How much Beer Duty you pay depends on the beer’s strength, or ‘alcohol by volume’ (ABV).

Strength (ABV)Beer Duty rate per litre for each % of alcohol
More than 1.2%, up to 2.8%8.42 pence
More than 2.8%, up to 7.5%19.08 pence
More than 7.5%24.77 pence

Example
You buy a pint of 5.0% strength lager. The Beer Duty you pay is 19.08p x 5.0 = 95.40 pence per litre. This works out at just over 54 pence a pint (about 568ml or 0.568 litres).

Reactions: Leo

luka

Spirit Duty​

You pay £28.74 of Spirit Duty per litre of pure alcohol.

Example
The Spirit Duty you pay on a 1 litre bottle of 40% ABV vodka is 40% of £28.74, or £11.50.

Reactions: Leo