Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Owen Hatherley was tweeting about how homelessness has disappeared overnight so don't let anyone tell you that's impossible ever again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Owen Hatherley was tweeting about how homelessness has disappeared overnight so don't let anyone tell you that's impossible ever again.

I hope the implication is that they've all been given somewhere to stay, rather than been 'dealt with'.

Or maybe they've all slunk back to their secret mansions...

luka

It's another example of this new found will to treat society as a whole rather than some Darwinian Royal Rumble.

luka

This is why I think there's reasons to be optimistic. Assuming there is an after it will be difficult to erase this episode from memory or to ignore its lessons and go back to 'normal'. Touch wood.

chava

it is. it really, really is. and it's a situation where being proven right only makes you feel vastly worse.

and definitely. the difference is that climate change has unfolded over years/decades and this has unfolded over weeks/months.

so even tho climate change is the far greater existential threat to humanity, the timelapse between how seriously people should be taking the pandemic and how seriously they are taking it has been much shorter

Even though climate change is a more complex problem/situation, the timespan is longer, the mechanics of it is probably better known (by now), and there is a growing consensus of what should be done. Not saying there should be, the dissent voices in that debate are still welcome from my point of view.

This is more of an "unknown unknown". Although the type of virus (Corona) is well known, this variant seems to be a difficult one to crack for the scientists.

Regarding response it is obvious liberal western countries hasn't any recent experience with this, in fact the primary reason that we ARE liberal are probably because of low prevalence of infectious disease (since WW2), aka the "Parasite Stress Theory": Asian (and African) countries are quick to shut down, quarantine, use extensive surveillance, not because they're more authoritarian, but they are more authoritarian because of historically higher infectious disease/pathogens in the environment.

If because of interconnectedness this becomes a new normal in the future there in the Western Hemisphere (and there already been 2-3 scares in this century: SARS, MERS, swine flu), we could easily see this foster a change in peoples moral behaviour. Just imagine if Covid19 could be tracked to immigrants and not the global elite vacationing in the Alps.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

well yeah, except Travelodge and others are creating new homelessness in response, unless someone stops them. Loads of reports of illegal evictions all over the place, the law can't keep up

but obviously the central point is very important, that homelessness is always a political choice, never about capacity, in a country like the UK. One of those things that will be instantly forgotten after this (hope i'm wrong)

craner

Beast of Burden
I was reading Nineteenth Century Britain, 1815-1914 by Anthony Wood last night, and the cholera epidemics came along.

craner

Beast of Burden
Cholera was horrible. People's heads turned green, went hard and dropped off within two hours of getting it.

luka

History is a good tool for combating stress caused by events, although it has its limits.

What about de ganja? I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Imagine the paranoia kicking in. Who is still smoking? Droid? Corpsey?

Status
Not open for further replies.