Status
Not open for further replies.

version

Fuck you, Bush.
It’s time to get out of Iraq, Bush.
What were you even doing there in the first place, Bush?
You didn’t even get properly elected, Bush.
Are you happy now, Bush?
Fuck you, Bush.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So... they've voted through this 2 trillion stimulus bill for the US. Apparently it designed to prevent any of it going to Trump family businesses but I dunno if that will work or not. I understand that - as we've discussed at length here - the economic problems that people will face (are facing I'm sure) are extremely serious and compound the situation, but it does feel in the US government that they care more about that than dealing with the disease itself. I dunno, I haven't looked into it deeply, that's the impression I'm getting at times from the press conferences etc but maybe that's misleading.

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm reading 43 too... I suspect that the 28 figure was earlier in the day rather than wrong. I dunno though obviously. That's quite a big difference though.

28 is the NHS England figure.

43 is the UK figure.

Yes it's 1 day. But no, you almost certainly can't attribute it to the lockdown.

comelately

Wild Horses
The fatality rate is crazy too. We're doing a lot more testing, with a rate of about 0.6%. Better demographics here but the NHS is definitely a better system than ours so 4.9% seems very high.

The 4.9% rate is very much attributable to the lack of testing. Most ppl are self-isolating and not contributing to the figures.

comelately

Wild Horses
It's definitely gonna happen.

I hope that there is a slowing down in fatalities, but unfortunately you simply can't judge the pattern from a single day. See Spain, 13-14 March or 15-16 March https://www.statista.com/statistics...at list where the number of deaths goes down.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Western media have fallen hard for an apparently fake if adorable story about a 100,000-strong “duck army” that China has supposedly mobilized to fight billions of locusts currently laying waste to Pakistan’s food supply.
Initially published by local Chinese outlet Ningbo Evening News, the clickbait-tastic story, complete with a video showing a flock of ducks supposedly marching in formation, proved impossible to resist – or to fact-check – and had spread around the world by the time people started asking questions.

I move that 'ningbo' be used as an insult, meaning a gullible person.

"Oh you didn't fall for that story about the Chinese duck army, did you? You absolute ningbo! :crylarf:"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Turns out this was some alt-right types and was widely denounced by XR groups all over the globe.

If it's a sockpuppet account, then they've put a massive amount of work into it. And it was started way back in September last year, when nobody had heard of coronavirus: https://twitter.com/xr_east?s=09

I don't doubt other XR groups have slammed them, but divergences in ideology and an inability of the movement to police itself is surely a consequence of its being totally decentralised?

Last edited:

luka

I have certainly seen similar, if slightly more nuanced, sentiments sincerely expressed.

Not remotely more nuanced. in exactly those words. Hundreds of millions of people. Iris Elba said the same thing. We've all probably thought something similar. I wouldn't want to say humans are a disease or whatever but the idea of the virus as a corrective is impossible to get away from.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Glad that they've waived hospital car parking charges for NHS staff during a pandemic. After a public petition of course.
Capitalism is truly the maddest thing ever

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just seen an 80 year old sauntering very slowly past my front window. He can do what he likes as far as I'm concerned, but this 'lockdown' is a farce given what we've seen in Spain and Italy

Last edited:

luka

It doesn't mean you're not allowed out the house thiugh does it just means don't lick any surfaces and don't come within six foot of any other cunt. It's not an actual lockdown cos we are not in prison. I'm suspicious of the very word lockdown. Gives police the wrong idea.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Er, there isn't a single day on that list where the number of deaths goes down.

Huh? Of course not, but there are two days as identified where the rate of increase in deaths seems to slow dramatically, and then escalates considerably the following day (by over 100% in one case)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It doesn't mean you're not allowed out the house thiugh does it just means don't lick any surfaces and don't come within six foot of any other cunt. It's not an actual lockdown cos we are not in prison. I'm suspicious of the very word lockdown. Gives police the wrong idea.

Sure, and I'm sympathetic to that as it is a horrible word - I just think the vague guidance is a continuation of Johnson devolving responsibility to the people rather than taking any himself. See also Sadiq Khan and the tube issue

My worry is that weeks after Spain and Italy instituted more severe rules (whatever the ethical downsides), there are still hundreds of deaths every day. (I think Italy was 9 March and Spain 16 March)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.