Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But back to the you-know-what, have you seen that more and more people are suggesting that Bolsonaro was lying about his test being negative? Seems a strange story all round as he is one of the leaders playing down the significance more than anyone else... how does all this fit together?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Constant escape, would you say you’re more of a Luke skywalker or a c3po?

Damn, I'd hope more of a Luke.

And luka, a nice introduction you posted in that thread:

"what the mind bites on is yours"

edit: my mistake, it was version that posted that bit. Much obliged.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyway... suppose that the rest of the world does persist with lockdown and the US relaxes restrictions by Easter what will happen? Will they be endangering the world's strategy? Will they become a pariah state?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
and the US relaxes restrictions by Easter what will happen?
as an American, I have to say, I am strongly convinced this will not happen

first: the President can call off a national emergency at the national level - which would still be disastrous - but I'm (relatively) sure he can't tell states to call off their own states of emergency, cancel restrictive measures, etc

I think the smarter governors have basically figured out that they'll mostly be fending for themselves and they'll ignore him continue with what they think is the right policy

second and more importantly: I fully expect the situation to be so bad by April 12 - actually, sooner - that we're far more likely to be approaching martial law (at least in the hardest hit areas) than easing restrictions

padraig (u.s.)

of course, he continues to be disastrously counterproductive in every possible moment and way. I admit I was 100% wrong upthread when I said him wouldn't be worth the cost in increased social chaos.

if he'd died 2 months ago we might have a shot at pulling through this. Pence is a fucking cryptofascist creep, but he's enough of a career pol to stay mostly on-message.

it's completely insane. as I heard someone say about Trump once, he is a man who lives his life on the principle of saying whatever will get him through the next 10 minutes.

padraig (u.s.)

Any thoughts on what that would entail, in this case?
I don't think anyone quite knows?

there's not, as far as I know, a single law or set of laws that make up "martial law". rather it's a precedent authorities (definitely the President. maybe governors? idk) can suspend civil liberties, habeus corpus, etc during crises

there's also laws constraining that. idk, I'm not a lawyer. here's a piece that lays it all out

as you can read within, the military itself is also wary of being overstretched and being pulled away from civilian relief duties

I've also been trying to pump people I know who are in or related to someone who's in the military for solid information as this goes on, tho it's just bits and pieces

my sister is a civilian contractor for the Army and one of her co-workers who's active duty was just ordered to Chicago to help the Army Corps of Engineers try to convert disused conference centers etc into extra hospital space

I also have a friend in the Air Force Reserves and I asked him to tell me whenever he hears about a callup, nothing yet. he told me major bases are locked down, presumably to avoid contagion going either way.

padraig (u.s.)

in practice, I'm guessing something closer to what France has been doing? Italy was dragged to that point unwillingly, and we will be too

not official "martial law" but more severely restricted quarantine with tickets and eventually arrests for violation

it's the United States so I would expect it to be both more loosely and more individually harshly enforced, and vary widely by location

Status
Not open for further replies.