sadmanbarty

this song's pretending the last 10 years of rap haven't happened.

that drum pattern, slightly bounce-indebted is a bit embarrassing. like a youtube teen vlogger making a parody rap.

the "party... retarded" bit sounds like an allusion to 50, not just lyrically but in terms of vocal delivery and melody. new york's obsession with its ancient past is bizarre. it'd be like drill rappers doing these nods to so solid or soemthing.

the third dud in a row.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Listening to Foreigner. Yeah, it is a bit wack. Interesting to think about why though, I think it's 'cos it lacks a compelling hook. Gucci said about Future something like, I don't think he's a great rapper but I think he's a great pop songwriter, meaning he had the hooks. That's what this tune is showing up. One dude out of 5, 6? Not bad so far.

sadmanbarty

Gucci said about Future something like, I don't think he's a great rapper but I think he's a great pop songwriter, meaning he had the hooks. That's what this tune is showing up..

the rap of the last few years is as different from the rap before it as early house was from disco or rock was from rock n roll or funk was from soul, etc.

it really can't be analysed with the same paradigm. the taxonomy of it has really let it down. it shouldn't be called "rap", its something different at this point.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Sweetheart cracked me up at first, 'cos i thought it was the inevitable love rap that plagued every rap album forever seemingly. Can see what they're trying to do here I think - fit that hook with the slapping drums but it's not as compelling as the others.

DannyL

Wild Horses
the rap of the last few years is as different from the rap before it as early house was from disco or rock was from rock n roll or funk was from soul, etc.

it really can't be analysed with the same paradigm. the taxonomy of it has really let it down. it shouldn't be called "rap", its something different at this point.

Yeah, I agree, I keep slipping back into it, which is a sign of my advancing years. There could be a Fast Show sketch about ageing b boys: *sigh* it's just not .... Pete Rock is it?

sadmanbarty

the taxonomy of it has really let it down. it shouldn't be called "rap", its something different at this point.

punk and metal a really just rock music, but because the fan bases were nerds and because rock has sufficient music critic attention these whole big taxonomical areas were carved out for them to occupy.

sadmanbarty

this is a headie one instrumental. its great, but headie's such a bad rapper i never listen to it. so nice to haev someone else on it.

hexing female vocals. wiccan music. bubbling potion fumes from a cauldron. a bit like 'holy water' by the game

its lost that widescreen scope; you can hear the uk ness in it. the bass lurches again; t2 heartbroken.

also wiley-esque nintendo samples in the background. "tetris"

stalling flow that then will go off beat and act like a reggae skank.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Armed and Dangerous is where I thought we might be all thread. Good but repeats some of the same highs and lows from earlier on.

sadmanbarty

Strings again, but it's a uk producer.

love the girl vocals. sound like ariana. warm and light. an rnb aesthetic that the uk hasn't been good at since garage (rng for example was rubbish).

tjay's good. those nasal voices work well with autotune. sounds like chris brown on high end.

DannyL

Wild Horses
On it again with Mannequin. Feels to me like the energy from the track is coming from his vocals, feels like his forcing it out the speakers. The female vocals are very much a background note to me, reminds me of helium voiced early rave.

sadmanbarty

the "perc 30" bit at the beginning is very similar to "breath in breath out" from uzi anthem.

that drone in the background is very drill; occupying some strange textural space between sheet metal, steam and the tide. it sounds like awe.

this is music of a temple. ritualistic. mummification music. voices echoing in a pyramid. ancient inca burial sights. ghosts of human sacrifices.

church organs.

this is a goodun.

an oozey anthem.

DannyL

Wild Horses
(artefact of my headphones perhaps)

The bass on this one (Dreaming) is pretty ludicrous. I feel so attuned to it after listening to this that one flat out variation really stands out clearly. A lot of the extranous stuff over the top is really reminding me of early rave stuff.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Feel like I'm lacking inspiration. After dinner slump. Fat and middle aged. Me and Luka can't take it anymore. He's beat me to having a nap.

sadmanbarty

something faintly rick ross about this one. rhyming "bacon" with "asalamu alaikum" is something clever and witty pretending to be dumb, which is rick ross hallmark (punchlines about khrushchev and all that).

DannyL

Wild Horses
Agreed that's the best one for a minute though. Yeah, those strings. Melodramatic, rising towards the choral. Trying to listen past the music and it's like a weird anime soundtrack. Reminds me of the early Keef stuff a bit.