sadmanbarty

Self esteem is distinct from narcissism. Did we cover that? High self esteem people can be very stable, little to prove. Megalomaniacs can be deeply insecure, Kanye

there's a distinction to be made between jagger and trump.

mick jagger knows he's unbearably fuckable and in letting us all know that's the case he brings joy to the world.

trump on the other hand has no self-esteem. any minor slight crushes him, so instead of having big lips and doing a funny dance he pulls out the paris climate agreement and gets loads of kurds killed.

you could say there's a distinction between hollow ego and contented ego.

sadmanbarty

And not just your peers. This starts happening in childhood. this is how you get treated by your teachers. Oh he can take it. He's full of it.

speaking of double standards with teachers, when i was in primary school they had some people come in to run a workshop. there was me, another middle class girl and then about 20 ruffians doing it. it invariably broke out into havoc, after which me and the middle class girl were called into the headmasters office where he screamed his head off telling me to "fuck off!" repeatedly and telling me "you don't give a shit". none of the other kids got called in. there was implicit idea that because we were the middle class kids we were supposed to be well behaved and proactive in maintaining order.

very weird.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
speaking of double standards with teachers, when i was in primary school they had some people come in to run a workshop. there was me, another middle class girl and then about 20 ruffians doing it. it invariably broke out into havoc, after which me and the middle class girl were called into the headmasters office where he screamed his head off telling me to "fuck off!" repeatedly and telling me "you don't give a shit". none of the other kids got called in. there was implicit idea that because we were the middle class kids we were supposed to be well behaved and proactive in maintaining order.

very weird.

You were his unwitting lieutenants and you let him down!

Is corpsey the slightly miserable mate that everyone likes. cant let the slight misery go cos all parties are invested in it, it’s holding them together

droid

i suppose what i meant to say that the will to eradicate the self, while on paper wicked, does actually tend to reflect a level of damage emerging from low self-esteem.

this thread came about from me thinking about how the people i know who are into clubbing and doing so many pills that they annihilate themselves aren't actually very assertive people in real life and usually a bit damaged.

Sure, but I think there's still a misapprehension there. Pills and clubbing don't result in ego death. Ecstasy may dissolve many of our selfish desires, but the structure of the self remains intact. Annihilating your ability to function in the world through lifestyle and/or addiction is an excess of desire, and basically the polar opposite of the annihilation of the self, which can usually only be attained through psychedelics or via something like the Anattā doctrine of no-self in Buddhism.

sadmanbarty

Is corpsey the slightly miserable mate that everyone likes. cant let the slight misery go cos all parties are invested in it, it’s holding them together

i think his mates like him when he's drunk and comes out and shines. proper gets the party going, dances the most maniacally, sweats the most profusely.

in other words, corpsey's friends love him most when his ego's inflated.

sadmanbarty

Sure, but I think there's still a misapprehension there. Pills and clubbing don't result in ego death. Ecstasy may dissolve many of our selfish desires, but the structure of the self remains intact. Annihilating your ability to function in the world through lifestyle and/or addiction is an excess of desire, and basically the polar opposite of the annihilation of the self, which can usually only be attained through psychedelics or via something like the Anattā doctrine of no-self in Buddhism.

clubbers and harre krishnas is who i was thinking of.

I’m in agreement with you there droid. Self and ego are tricky overstuffed words that’s what’s tripping us up

Simon silverdollarcircle

There's big ego involved in being properly into raving I think. You're convinced that your gang is the best thing in the whole world and you're having the best time possible. It makes you a bit insufferable to everyone else. Or did in my experience anyway

I remember one of my raving mates recounting a rare Saturday morning trip to Homebase or something and him looking at the other customers and just thinking "why don't you just...kill yourselves?" Yikes

luka

There's big ego involved in being properly into raving I think. You're convinced that your gang is the best thing in the whole world and you're having the best time possible. It makes you a bit insufferable to everyone else. Or did in my experience anyway

I remember one of my raving mates recounting a rare Saturday morning trip to Homebase or something and him looking at the other customers and just thinking "why don't you just...kill yourselves?" Yikes

Drugs are great for that. Best feeling.

That’s what most friend groups think isn’t it? We are the best craic, we’re the only who ones who get it. Plenty of that in here too

luka

sex, drugs, love and music are all have a tendency to reinforce the ego. all the joys in life.

Part of it is probably that it's difficult not to think, I deserve this. Whatever you are going through, good or bad.

I deserve to feel like a living God. I deserve to feel like a worm.