luka

There's a constructive and healthy way to do this, isn't there, which is to make sure that the more naturally exuberant and extroverted children give the quieter and less confident ones some space to express themselves as well. So that "everyone gets a go", without going so far as to say that exuberance is bad per se.

It's like going for a long walk with a group of people. Eventually you have to face the problem of peoples different speeds. Do you split up the group or do you all walk at the slowest persons pace?

luka

Poetix feels a real kinship with him. Horrified but also fraternal. Like it was his brother that also possessed the force but he went to the dark side.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It is worrying to have someone at the heart of Tory government who's not fundamentally thick like the rest of them, but rather has drawn some really psychopathic conclusions after thinking things through. Damaged in a different way.

luka

I think he is dissensian in that he is half clever. Not stupid but far too lazy and scatterbrained to be an intellectual. He's quick. He likes the idea of learning without having the application. He snatches at things. He's a magpie. He likes shiny glittery stuff. Like us.

You said that before I did. He’s surface level, and multi disciplinary, good at seeming smart without being proper smart

That’s me I know how to pass exams and make people think I’m smart but press me a little and you realise I know fuck all

luka

I think it's fair to say that's everyone here. It's the dissensus way. We have our limits. We will never be intellectuals.

sadmanbarty

Babies, e.g., are both entirely egocentric and egoless (they are the only thing that exists, everything is them.)

i was going to mention the pantheistic angle of all this in my original post last night.

a big ego allows you to imbue the world with yourself. to expand out into it. it lends you a sympathy to your surroundings.

sadmanbarty

Ego death has nothing to do with 'ego' as in the topic of the thread. Ego death is the total annihilation of the self as an executive mechanism. It goes deep into the structure of consciousness and severs the trunk.

Ego as it is being described here is just a sense of excessive self esteem, or a manifestation of narcissism, one minor manifestation of the self.

i suppose what i meant to say that the will to eradicate the self, while on paper wicked, does actually tend to reflect a level of damage emerging from low self-esteem.

this thread came about from me thinking about how the people i know who are into clubbing and doing so many pills that they annihilate themselves aren't actually very assertive people in real life and usually a bit damaged.

luka

i suppose what i meant to say that the will to eradicate the self, while on paper wicked, does actually tend to reflect a level of damage emerging from low self-esteem.

this thread came about from me thinking about how the people i know who are into clubbing and doing so many pills that they annihilate themselves aren't actually very assertive people in real life and usually a bit damaged.

Like how people you see shopping in health food shops are the most unhealthy looking people

sadmanbarty

When your ego is satisfied and stable it's an amazing feeling — presumably that's why people seek ways to destroy the ego in order to stop being depressed, because the ego is generally not satisfied and stable. It's a torment. (And a spur to action, hence artists all being massively insecure and egocentric simultaneously.)

corpse how many of your angsts, anguishes and worries stem from your ego being too big and how many of them stem from it being too small?

well not just corpsey actually, all of us.

having a big ego isn't without its problems. people who are a bit insecure tend to misunderstand it or find it insulting (though on the other hand, really, really shy people fucking love it, you can see the wish fulfilment in their eyes when you're showing off).

people also feel carte blanche to be a dick to you.

Self esteem is distinct from narcissism. Did we cover that? High self esteem people can be very stable, little to prove. Megalomaniacs can be deeply insecure, Kanye

luka

people also feel carte blanche to be a dick to you.

And not just your peers. This starts happening in childhood. this is how you get treated by your teachers. Oh he can take it. He's full of it.

luka

And not just your peers. This starts happening in childhood. this is how you get treated by your teachers. Oh he can take it. He's full of it.

You make yourself a target. But that's the contract. No point brooding about it.