woops

is not like other people
Used to love plaid, they had an album called rest proof clockwork I think, that I used to cane. But yeah, they dropped off really

i went to see them last year was good, big full sound, never got boring, but i didn't listen to them in the glory days

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
did you listen to analord series? dripping in funk, as was syro. not a good dj either, good taste but clunky sequencing

Sure, it's funky in the 70s sense of the term, huge acid lines squirting and pingin everywhere. but it doesn't funk, in the way that stingray and Autechre or even 808 state do, funk as africanised technology.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
did you listen to analord series? dripping in funk, as was syro. not a good dj either, good taste but clunky sequencing

clunky sequencing is good. destroy the cult of the smooth dj! kill the sasha in your head!

Also I am one of the few people who can beat him in a soundclash of early breakbeat hardcore.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
instant gratification can be conservative though. which is aphex delivers.

who said conservatism has to be hoary and boring? by all accounts the hitler youth enjoyed long drinking, smoking and shagging sessions away from their parents, whilst the social democrats urged temperance and family values.

droid

I just don't see what everyone's so excited about with Autechre. I wish I could, tbh, cos people are frothing in the comments section. I don't think there's nothing there to admire, I'm sure there is but to my ears -

they've simply "evolved" from one form of banality to another. They don't sound radical to me, they sound old hat. They sound like the dictionary definition of WIRE music. Their bloodless, milky synths in a minor chord never change. Their habit of making every tune at least 5 minutes too long (or 15) never changes. Burrowing away at the same loop for 20 minutes, like somebody tonguing a rotten tooth. What's to like? It's lost on me.

I was never a fan of "live sets" by techno ppl either. Twiddling away on knobs for hours, theoretically fascinating.

Aphex is a genius IMO. These guys are plodders.

But that's just to my ears. Maybe it was all that public schooling I had at my comprehensive school?

lol. Thridform's unreasonable haranguing actually produced something good!

Im not even going to try and address criticism of their early work because its clearly insane, but wrt live/set WIRE music...

I find a lot of their post LP5 work challenging in the same way that I find Coltrane or modern classical challenging. Its music that demands a huge amount from the listener. As most of my listening is ambient (as in not wholly concentrated) listening it means I don't listen to them that much.

However, in a live setting they are amazing. Probably the best live electronic act of all time. Ive seen them play to a packed dance floor and create synergistic feedback loops with the audience based on the instant 5D manipulation of twisted fragments and shards of noise, rhythm and melody or (like at the NCH gig) scrawl these gargantuan phantasmographic soundscapes in the minds of the audience, like some multidimensional aural Pollock.

They are pioneers without peers. IMO theyre early work is certainly equal to anything Aphex did in his prime, but whereas James' has been content to explore more microtonal and instrumental variations on his themes since the early 00s, AE have gone into deep space.

Nobody else comes close.

Last edited:
Yes a great post from droid. We should viciously attack everything he loves from now on as a rule.

Can confirm it is an intense and immersive and very different experience to hear them live. I think it was 2011 I heard them at bloc weekend in a bit of a fragile state but it was memorable.

droid

Autechre vs AFX is the most difficult question. Ive spent thousands of hours trying to come to a decision with no definitive result.

catalog

saw them both together at a warp thing in leeds in early 00s and cant remember much about it. but i saw aphex at sonar in 2001 and it was amazing. he did a sort of drill n bass blend of 'super sharp shooter' that knocked our heads off. it was so loud, unexpected, all the levels were weird, he changed the speed inside everything. but then i saw him a few years later in leeds at brudenell and he was boring. i heard that the recent aphex gigs have been good tho.

woops

is not like other people
i think this thread is the first time i've seen or heard aphex referred to as anything less then a genius and a god

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Autechre vs AFX is the most difficult question. Ive spent thousands of hours trying to come to a decision with no definitive result.

is it really that difficult? Like I said afx is a great dj when he wants to be, impeccable
taste in breakbeat hardcore etc, better than let me be your fantasy being namedropped like we're in ministry of sound (those fuckers kicked me out when i went to see kerri chandler lmao.)

but has he really made a seminal essential record since 95?

Even if you don't like Autechre's later trajectory you can't deny that confield is an essential listen, and that's from 2001, if anything to show you the potential of algorithmic beat driven computer music.

catalog

so glad we've managed to cancel aphex twin. and also andrew weatherall on the other thread. well done all - a good week's work. it leaves a bit more room for the others to wiggle their tails.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
so glad we've managed to cancel aphex twin. and also andrew weatherall on the other thread. well done all - a good week's work. it leaves a bit more room for the others to wiggle their tails.

I didn't (will never, and have never) cancel wevvers. the guy is a legend in my book, two lone swordsmen stuff is much more to my tastes than aphex.

I merely observed that supporting Chelsea football club was the only objectionable part of his personality. If I could have taken him to a gooner rockabilly cum techno mafia gay night I'm sure he would agree with me that gooners are the best.

As for Keir Starmer, he is a gunner, sure, but not a gooner. the two are different and it riles me that people don't do their research.

catalog

I'm listening to that most recent autechre mixlr mix right now and I've reached the electro bit, 'diamonds on my neck in my Cadillac chrome'. Very tasty after an extended ambient bit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you can be a gunner and a gooner simultaneously, you can't be a gooner and then become a gunner, it's a whole different level of initiation.

catalog

Resident advisor ought to put a new field in DJ and producer profiles where they tell you who they support.

catalog

Dean Blunt supports Arsenal and his favourite player is/was Wrighty so careful careful thirst third