shakahislop

Tell us what views changed. Have you become a biological essentialist? Pro or anti Botox?

i hadn't thought very much about woke-ness and metoo and so on before, but that board was good for articulating the kind of nagging unease i had about some of that stuff. that's the main thrust of that board i think.

shakahislop

Yeah I'm back, writing this from the 4
i walked from eastern parkway up to the J - i think i've said before i really like that corridor underneath the JMZ - and took nothing in at all because i was on the phone to someone in denmark talking about housing. it was another beautiful day though

then the subway line caught fire on the williamsburg bridge and the firemen had to get us off the train, they sprayed huge jets of water up from below at it

i got a slice from rosa's near there while i was waiting for it to sort itself out, their grandma is genuinely great

shakahislop

the noise of the city is killing me this week, i don't know why, i'm suddenly more sensitive, the subway sounds enormous

sus

the noise of the city is killing me this week, i don't know why, i'm suddenly more sensitive, the subway sounds enormous
The door-closing bells can be way, ear-splittingly louder than necessary. I used to go around with earbuds covered by industrial mufflers.

shakahislop

The door-closing bells can be way, ear-splittingly louder than necessary. I used to go around with earbuds covered by industrial mufflers.

i've had earbuds in for most of the last couple of days, to block out the sound. this piece of elation with an embarrassing thumbnail has been helping.

there's an industrial grease-trap cleaner on my street this morning, a big green snake tube going into a totally horrible restaurant, its quite a drone to wake up to, smashes you in the face as soon as you get out the front door

there's two coffee shops on my street, the closest one always has a massive queue for some reason, the staff seem harried, to the point of some of them being outwardly hostile in that nyc way, and the coffee is only ok. one of the baristas, who i think looks like a model, seems to really hate me, probably because i don't tip i think, she makes a bit of espresso and then dumps a load of milk in the drink with such disdain, it's quite amazing to buy a drink and experience a kind of dismissal at the same time - anyway so i go to the other one a couple of blocks away, which is great, good lads and dead good coffee, but there is one guy there - this is the point of writing this - who dresses like a kind of make-up wearing pirate, its a strong look, who plays at any time of the day pretty loud 80s rock, it's good a psychedelic edge to it but that old school rock sound is really grating when you have to shout over it, it was kicking my arse this morning, it made me think about how probably one of the appeals with this kind of thing when it first came out is the intensity of it, how annoying it is for most other people, a bit like gabba or speed metal or whatever. although to modern ears it basically sounds tame. the other guy there plays radiohead quietly, it's better when he's there

it's absolutely beautiful out today though, nice early morning light

sus

Oh Shaka—you don't tip? I'm not saying this for ethical reasons—for selfish practical reasons you might wanna part with that dollar.

shakahislop

Oh Shaka—you don't tip? I'm not saying this for ethical reasons—for selfish practical reasons you might wanna part with that dollar.

i tip for all the normal stuff, but not for coffee, which to me seems like one of those optional ones (a different category to for example not tipping for a beer, food, haircut etc).

shakahislop

Where do I find more music like jada kingdom fling it back will you make me a playlist

i genuinely have no idea. seems like a lot of stuff that sounds similar would probably be quite annoying, its a bit glossy, but she pulls it off on this one somehow. the other ones with a similar feel that have made its way onto the playlist recently are these:

I suppose there's a strain of dancehall which is pretty close as well, in that it's all big poppy hooks but not shit, which i love:

yes i am aware that i've just posted four videos of sexy naked girls waving their arses around and / or singing about their vaginas (although to be fair the ones in spanish could be about currency devaluation or crytpo, i don't know)

shakahislop

I think youve misread the code there shaka

i even looked on reddit, the consensus seems to be 'optional'. with the exception of that one girl no-one seems to have a problem with it. whereas if you didn't tip at a bar you'd definitely know about it (i know this well from experience of having english friends visiting, definitely catch some shit if you don't tip).

linebaugh

i even looked on reddit, the consensus seems to be 'optional'. with the exception of that one girl no-one seems to have a problem with it. whereas if you didn't tip at a bar you'd definitely know about it (i know this well from experience of having english friends visiting, definitely catch some shit if you don't tip).
Well thats reddit, theyre not going to cafes they are probably intimidated by those spaces. Not to harangue you here its just funny to imagine the perpetually bitter and contemptuous barrista population reading this

sus

In my experience its probably the most important place to tip from a user experience stand point
Yeah they'll fuck up your order Shaka, tip the lady or gent. Especially if you're a regular or you spend time sitting there. If you're getting an espresso to go, at some random Midtown joint, sure, whatever. If it's your neighborhood spot and you're gonna hang out reading you better break out that billfold baby

sus

Linebaugh's wife used to make like $100k a year pouring coffee tho, so it may be out of control. Those new digital registers/Square payment systems will fuck you up with their default 18% 20% 22% options

linebaugh

They are also who you are most likely to find in your extended social circle. Bar tenders and waiters hang out with other people 'in the industry.' Kind of a dim, undesireable group, though there are exceptions. Barristas OTOH are every third person you know, wether presently employed, former or future