IdleRich

IdleRich
I mentioned more than once a place called Hotel Selina which we often stay at when we DJ in Porto, it always makes us laugh cos it is so similar to the piss-take luxury flats called Sodasopa in South Park... but, at the same time, whisper it, I actually rather like it.

There is a Selina in Lisbon which obviously I've never needed to stay in but cos of our connection we have sometimes DJ-d in the bar there, the most boring gig I've ever done in fact cos it's from 7pm until 10pm or something, I honestly don't know why they bother with it, but the pay is pretty good for minimal work so...

Anyway, when I saw this pic

I thought for a minute you were staying in Lisbon. I remember it looking exactly like that, though I suppose when I dig out a pic it will be completely different.

Actually I think you'll see where I'm coming from

photo3jpg.jpg

7563515993161697087_IMG_1381-1200x1800.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
this is houston st, which is one of the three big roads that runs from east to west / west to east downtown. as long as i can remember there's been this massive calvin klien ad on one this street, it's absolutely massive, the photo doesn't do it justice, it looms over you, and coz its calvin klein its always half naked men and women, there's something about it, it's like a massive fuck you, we can do what we want, we've got all the money.

Do you remember that U2 video when they shot it on the road to LAX? The song was totally unmemorable (I literally can't remember what it was) and the video wasn't much better, just the band playing on that road, but it was THAT road, a statement saying WE can shut down the road to LAX (can they really, surely not, it must have shut for some other reason and they got first dibs which I suppose is a big enough deal in itself, but it looked as though they had) for our totally forgetable song cos, yeah, we're U2 cos we've got all the money AND all the power.

It clearly worked on me, as a demonstration of power anyway, the song was unimportant really.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

shakahislop

I mentioned more than once a place called Hotel Selina which we often stay at when we DJ in Porto, it always makes us laugh cos it is so similar to the piss-take luxury flats called Sodasopa in South Park... but, at the same time, whisper it, I actually rather like it.

There is a Selina in Lisbon which obviously I've never needed to stay in but cos of our connection we have sometimes DJ-d in the bar there, the most boring gig I've ever done in fact cos it's from 7pm until 10pm or something, I honestly don't know why they bother with it, but the pay is pretty good for minimal work so...

Anyway, when I saw this pic

I thought for a minute you were staying in Lisbon. I remember it looking exactly like that, though I suppose when I dig out a pic it will be completely different.

Actually I think you'll see where I'm coming from

View attachment 15993

View attachment 15992
yeah right, the brown wood and plants thing. actually just plants in general are a massive thing in fancy places now. i dunno if it's caught on anywhere else but a few years ago a new form of coffee shop emerged and sprouted everywhere over here, which was the combo coffee shop and plant shop. mostly they seem to function as coffee shops but they're also garden centers (the condensed nyc version of the oxfordshire culture mafia's nottcuts). they smell of plants.

shakahislop

Do you remember that U2 video when they shot it on the road to LAX? The song was totally unmemorable (I literally can't remember what it was) and the video wasn't much better, just the band playing on that road, but it was THAT road, a statement saying WE can shut down the road to LAX (can they really, surely not, it must have shut for some other reason and they got first dibs which I suppose is a big enough deal in itself, but it looked as though they had) for our totally forgetable song cos, yeah, we're U2 cos we've got all the money AND all the power.

It clearly worked on me, as a demonstration of power anyway, the song was unimportant really.
somehow i've avoided seeing many music videos, including that one. the tricks record companies could pull and the way the 80s/90s US music juggernaut was able to cut through, manipulate culture is quite amazing in retrospect. and looks like a thing of the past as well, more or less. they managed to build this thing around U2 which made them look like a superpower, almost superheros, x-men.

sus

yeah right, the brown wood and plants thing. actually just plants in general are a massive thing in fancy places now. i dunno if it's caught on anywhere else but a few years ago a new form of coffee shop emerged and sprouted everywhere over here, which was the combo coffee shop and plant shop. mostly they seem to function as coffee shops but they're also garden centers (the condensed nyc version of the oxfordshire culture mafia's nottcuts). they smell of plants.
Back to nature movement + the premise of cleaner-than-city air + highly public studies "proving" (questionable) being around plants and the color green makes you happier + the rise of cactus mom culture + 70s indoor plant retromania, I think

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Back to nature movement + the premise of cleaner-than-city air + highly public studies "proving" (questionable) being around plants and the color green makes you happier + the rise of cactus mom culture + 70s indoor plant retromania, I think
Cactus mom culture?

shakahislop

IMG_3942.jpegIMG_3944.jpeg
IMG_3936.jpeg

from a labor / labour day weekend late summer heatwave. like i was saying before, that wall has turned over already and has been tagged already. plus some absolute cunt has done that projection above it, i haven't seen that before. the george floyd mural that's been there since BLM in 2020 on the other side of the street stands proud and untouched. honour among graff artists.

the other photo is quite a new place down by dimes square, i don't know if its a bar or a restaurant, but its that same childish/retro look again

IdleRich

IdleRich
somehow i've avoided seeing many music videos, including that one. the tricks record companies could pull and the way the 80s/90s US music juggernaut was able to cut through, manipulate culture is quite amazing in retrospect. and looks like a thing of the past as well, more or less. they managed to build this thing around U2 which made them look like a superpower, almost superheros, x-men.

Well, yesterday I said the song was meaningless, its only function was to hang the video on. And similarly once you've had the video described and know it happened you don't need to see that either.

U2 are no longer a band producing music - if they have made a song or album in the last fifteen years or so i can't name it and neither can you - they are an international behemoth of a company saving the world and flexing their muscles by building their own tower, shutting down huge airports, addressing governments or berating the UN.

Occasionally going through the motions on the odd unstoppable megatour to fund their real interests.

IdleRich

IdleRich

My friend's place we stayed at in London has arrived at that by accident I guess. His flat is like a jungle in a wood panelled room, made even warmer with books, records, guitars, analogue keyboards etc a garden with a fire etc it IS really comforting. Maybe works better cos it's evolved into that over years, it's not been created overnight to be in a certain style.

wektor

My friend's place we stayed at in London has arrived at that by accident I guess. His flat is like a jungle in a wood panelled room, made even warmer with books, records, guitars, analogue keyboards etc a garden with a fire etc it IS really comforting. Maybe works better cos it's evolved into that over years, it's not been created overnight to be in a certain style.
lmk when you're about, I would like to visit. currently very curious about ways in which people organise they private spaces. needs more research, that topic.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ak ok, I would definitely do that now I know that you're in town, I had it in my mind that you had moved away. Well, this time was very much a flying visit, we arrived from Edinburgh on the Weds afternoon and met Dan about 6pm to get the key from him, then we had that evening and Thursday to ourselves, before flying back to Lisbon on Friday morning.

That said, we did briefly meet other Dan... you know, Big Dan, or @DannyL as he calls himself these days, I think the L stands for "Large" cos every time I see him he is larger

IdleRich

IdleRich
curious about ways in which people organise they private spaces. needs more research, that topic.

This is kinda interesting.

It hardly takes a genius to recognise that one thing which has a big influence on how much time you will deliberately put into changing your living space is how long you are gonna be there.

Is it short term rent, or a longer rent or do you own it?

The guy we just stayed with, he is in housing owned by the council but I think you can rent basically forever. He was on a waiting list and stayed on that for years and years slowly moving up. Places become available over time and are grabbed by whoever has been on longest - though maybe if you've got kids or you have a 'Nam injury or similar (perhaps a fall while drunk during that lads holiday to Hanoi last year) you move up a couple places.

Anyways Dan and his gf moved in about fifteen years ago, then they split up and she left - I feel like, from that moment on, the place has shaped itself around its owner perhaps more than anywhere else I've seen, even with places where someone has been there far longer.

I'm really just sort of thinking out loud cos you happened to mention this @wektor, but Dan is someone whose interests are easily reflected physically. I mean to say that he likes music and that manifests itself as collecting records, he's played bass etc in various bands which means he has loads of instruments, he reads books ditto. All of those traits are very easily represented by physical objects and with noone but him there and the only limitations being those due to money and space, it's hardly surprising the place quickly looked like the inside of his head but with more plants.

sufi

lala
lmk when you're about, I would like to visit. currently very curious about ways in which people organise they private spaces. needs more research, that topic.

shakahislop

This is kinda interesting.

It hardly takes a genius to recognise that one thing which has a big influence on how much time you will deliberately put into changing your living space is how long you are gonna be there.

Is it short term rent, or a longer rent or do you own it?

The guy we just stayed with, he is in housing owned by the council but I think you can rent basically forever. He was on a waiting list and stayed on that for years and years slowly moving up. Places become available over time and are grabbed by whoever has been on longest - though maybe if you've got kids or you have a 'Nam injury or similar (perhaps a fall while drunk during that lads holiday to Hanoi last year) you move up a couple places.

Anyways Dan and his gf moved in about fifteen years ago, then they split up and she left - I feel like, from that moment on, the place has shaped itself around its owner perhaps more than anywhere else I've seen, even with places where someone has been there far longer.

I'm really just sort of thinking out loud cos you happened to mention this @wektor, but Dan is someone whose interests are easily reflected physically. I mean to say that he likes music and that manifests itself as collecting records, he's played bass etc in various bands which means he has loads of instruments, he reads books ditto. All of those traits are very easily represented by physical objects and with noone but him there and the only limitations being those due to money and space, it's hardly surprising the place quickly looked like the inside of his head but with more plants.
yeah agree that is an interesting thing. for a long time everyone i knew was living very temporarily in whatever country they were in (like usually expecting to leave within a year) but coz these were poor countries they also had a lot of money compared to the local housing market. so you'd go into apartments in the center of town, prime real estate, and people would just have empty rooms that they'd never go into, didn't even bother furnishing or whatever. in general everything had this temporary air to it, no-one bothered having many possessions coz they're very annoying to shift across the world. so the opposite of the guy you're talking about. personally for years i basically could fit everything i owned / cared about into two big backpacks.

was drinking a few years ago and ended up in some guy's flat in bushwick, it was a basement apartment that looked like he'd been in it for a thousand years (despite the fact he was about thirty), it was absolutely comprehensively stuffed with DVDs and videos and random toys and shit on every surface, in this narrow squashed railroad apartment thing. that thing where the dwelling evolves around and takes on the character of the person is a nice feature of being alive i think. like when you go round someone's mums house and it feels absolutely like someone's mum's house. like when i go round biscuit's mum's house for example.