constant escape

winter withered, warm
Well now thats fascinating, because of that whole argument that terrorism was off limits to capitalism, that attempting to subsume the aesthetics of terrorism would not prove lucrative, and would likely be met with rage, disgust, etc.

Reactions: sus

Leo

Well now thats fascinating, because of that whole argument that terrorism was off limits to capitalism, that attempting to subsume the aesthetics of terrorism would not prove lucrative, and would likely be met with rage, disgust, etc.

not really, certainly not on any scale. they aren't looking to sell tons of merch, it's just a provocation to get attention and have people think they're daring. naughty attention seeking. like Lydon singing "Belsen was a gas".

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Sure, they won't find it lucrative, and I retract the comment about their being at the vanguard. just find it interesting that they, being as edgy as they are, would encroach upon that territory, seeing as we've talked about the theories that terrorism is a/the forbidden territory for capitalism, at least according to DeLillo.

@version I guess it goes to show that there aren't limits, at least none that are observed for very long, what with all the edgies out there.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
that's never been true

Che Guevara t-shirts and posters on dorm room walls

when I was working in Chiapas in the early 00s EZLN - and specifically Marcos - merch was everywhere, inescapable

Che and especially Marcos are a far cry from ISIS but the principle is the same

not thing is off limits to capitalism. the only limit is your ability to market it to a given consumer demographic.

that is the impersonal genius part of consumerism - the potential to turn literally anything into a marketable commodity.

padraig (u.s.)

or a better comparison to ISIS in re Mexico would be narcos, who are heavily commercialized - television, films, music, merchandise

padraig (u.s.)

El Chapo brand clothing debuts at Guadalajara fashion show

The “El Chapo 701” brand drew many curious shoppers with a huge printed image of its namesake, convicted drug trafficker Joaquín Guzmán, and a line of clothing inspired by him.

According to lawyer Gilberto de Anda, El Chapo 701 is owned by Alejandrina Guzmán Salazar, the daughter of the former head of the Sinaloa Cartel and his first wife María Alejandrina Salazar Hernández.

padraig (u.s.)

I mean do a Google Image search for "ISIS Merchandise"

it's maybe 25% Archer-related, a bit related to Isis the post-metal band, and the rest is all Islamic State

padraig (u.s.)

the only difference with Red Scare is who's selling it, where they're selling it, and who they're selling it to

i.e. not in Indonesia or Turkey or anonymously online

which is where the edginess comes in

obviously it's reprehensible - they're not even making some kind of statement, it's just shock value

but it's excellent marketing - the point, I'm sure, isn't whether people actually buy their ISIS shirts, it's to attract attention

and clearly it's working