padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
lots of anger in this thread. thats not how you get one over these folks.
not really - I don't think any of us here care enough about these people to get angry at them, with the possible exception of beiser and gus

I witnessed and occasionally personally interacted with similar people in earlier generations of the same thing and they didn't make me angry either

idk I just find that whole world silly and contemptible, really not worth getting upset about

the hipster careerism is gross but I mean, welcome to New York hipsterdom and the art world since forever

its intersection with political podcast minor celebrity careerism feels a bit grosser but again, who cares

there are so many things in the world worth getting angry about, who cares what some cool assholes in Brooklyn are doing

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the whole thing feels v much to me like Vice: The New Generation, But Now Politics Are Cool and We're Into Politics

as opposed to Vice the magazine, which was studiously anti-earnest, non-political - peak nihilistic irony

i.e. Gavin McInnes was able to seamlessly transition from Vice to the Proud Boys, bc Vice had no active politics

politics and genuinely caring about things was deeply uncool ca. 2005, now it's cool

also, it's much easier to monetize the intersection of politics and coolness than it was back then (as JKF Jr. tried and failed with George)

Last edited:

borzoi

downtown new york it kids are just one of those fantasies like the ones we talked about in the america thread. the trick is to acknowledge its appeal while realizing it's just a dream.

Leo

it just gets a little tiring to acknowledge the appeal when you've seen dozens of generations/iterations of them already (often in more interesting forms).

catalog

i used to listen to red scare quite a bit back when i was commuting, i just found them very funny. but i don't really listen to podcasts much anymore and i put them on the other day and had to turn it off, it's sort of the same thing over and over again i feel?

catalog

i tried cumtown and chapo and they were just a total joke - absolute steaming dogshit especially cumtown. unbelievable how those chumps are coining it in

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah I've largely burnt out on Red Scare as well. I do think they voice some interesting points, in a sort of return-to-class-politics unpolished way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
it just gets a little tiring to acknowledge the appeal when you've seen dozens of generations/iterations of them already (often in more interesting forms).
I thought for a minute the first one was Dash Snow again but it was Dasha something else.

catalog

what i found appealing was the way they talked, like literally the sound of their voices, and how it felt unreal what was coming out of those voices... my wife also found it amusing so it was something we could sometimes put on in the car or something. but something has changed with it all and i can't keep up with all the shit they talk about now

catalog

yeah thats a good call rich, it sort of is like mcginley/snow/irak/eyesnort or whatever all over again. it's like cartoon characters, different iterations of gangs on telly. mysterious cities of gold was the best iteration for ever and all time

catalog

i did also prick up my ears, so to speak, whilst reading craners palin essay to see that he leaned on lasch a bit and thought ching ching cos lasch's obviously a big touchstone for anna

IdleRich

IdleRich
yeah thats a good call rich, it sort of is like mcginley/snow/irak/eyesnort or whatever all over again. it's like cartoon characters, different iterations of gangs on telly. mysterious cities of gold was the best iteration for ever and all time
I definitely would have been entranced and fascinated by this kind of thing at one point, but yeah it just seems to repeat again and again.
I mean, that's somewhat sad for Dash Snow that he ended up getting stuck with the roll of "tortured artist who has to die before he's 30"....

catalog

my big thing when i was a teenager was harmony korine/larry clark and i was fully 'in' til maybe my mid 20s but now i find it very cringe. his last film was absolutely awful. but i still would have the first 3 of his in a personal canon. and trash humpers as well maybe.

catalog

thing is, these people gus is on about aren't even that. if dasha's film turns out to be good, then we'll see, but you can't call a bunch of podcasts a career i don't think... or maybe you can now, who knows

beiser

thing is, these people gus is on about aren't even that. if dasha's film turns out to be good, then we'll see, but you can't call a bunch of podcasts a career i don't think... or maybe you can now, who knows
a bunch of podcasts and an onlyfans, well, now we're talking

catalog

in 2020, is it still real without a proper book or film (proper book = print version is available; proper film = would get shown at a cinema, art cinema qualifies)?