padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
it just gets a little tiring to acknowledge the appeal when you've seen dozens of generations/iterations of them already (often in more interesting forms)
seriously

look the peak of DT NY coolness in 1983 and tell me things have not gone very badly downhill

linebaugh

in 2020, is it still real without a proper book or film (proper book = print version is available; proper film = would get shown at a cinema, art cinema qualifies)?
I saw an episode of Shark Tank where the company, already reasonably successful, would write books for CEOs, media moguls, fitness experts and etc. not for the purpose of selling, but for the sole appearance of 'having a book.' They only printed 200 copies per book, effectively what they made was long form business cards

catalog

yeah that sort of loophole thing is a travesty really and should not be allowed. and it can't be amazon POD either. not sure about kickstarter.

padraig (u.s.)

really I thought @shiels had the most interesting line of inquiry, i.e. the tension of trying to reconcile egalitarianism with the reality of unequal desire. that's an issue that effects everyone with egalitarian beliefs, not just a tiny clique of Brooklyn subcultural elites who aren't even interesting as a case study unless you care about them enough to follow the intimate details of their lives. the issue of not just unequal treatment but unequal desire didn't really exist on "the left" until very recently, certainly not when I was younger - tho you can see the precursors bubbling up in culture if you look back - pickup artists, the incel entering into popular consciousness, alpha/beta discourse, red pilling, fuckbois + softbois, etc. it's good to be aware of tho idk how much you can directly do about it - keep an open mind and try to keep in mind how beauty standards or other relevant power relations influence or intersect with your own desires, but desire itself is like belief - you can't desire something you don't or not desire something you do.

other people here are better placed than me to say for sure but the left's tension over unequal desire vs just unequal treatment seems like a reaction to both external (i.e. yr typical alt-right/MRM/Jordan Peterson narrative about gender roles and "biology" and whatever) and internal (what the stuff in this thread is about) factors, without, yeah, a really clear answer.

sus

not anger, it's just...cringey (and not in a good way). the mere sight of this thread title popping up on my unread threads list makes me cringe. repellent. the obsession with the level of detail about these people's lives makes me wonder if @suspendedreason was somehow rejected by them. we need backstory, context. what have they done to you, Gus? perhaps it's a love/hate thing.

They haven't done anything! And I don't think I'm obsessed with their backstories! These things just pop up. For instance, I had no idea Dasha has been dating Dan Lopatin but apparently this has been common knowledge for months. But then @version kindly alerted me! Now I know. Keeping tabs is easy when a whole community is keeping tabs, y'know?

padraig (u.s.)

I saw an episode of Shark Tank where the company, already reasonably successful, would write books for CEOs, media moguls, fitness experts and etc. not for the purpose of selling, but for the sole appearance of 'having a book.' They only printed 200 copies per book, effectively what they made was long form business cards
that is hilarious and tbh it's a brilliant business strategy and I kinda wish I'd thought of it

and it fits in 100% with what I know of the endless seas of snake oil in which the fitness and health/wellness industries sit

sus

I wasn't even born when that video was made

Padraig we all know you're ancient there's no denyin it now. Luka sent me a picture of the one time you guys hung out and I was really worried, like is your cardiovascular health okay? Are you hunkering down during covid?

sus

I think part of the importance of this thread is that being "cool" has serious cultural importance. Maybe it didn't always used to be this way? Or maybe it did? But I think other evaluative qualities like beautiful, interesting, accomplished etc have collapsed into a cool/knowing vs naive axis that's brutal on cultural production.

sus

@Leo No no I mean, I just lived in an ecosystem where these people were vectors for gossip and spottings! People used proximity for prestige points! They're pre-existing markers on the map, there's no getting around it.

sus

I still need to polish off the Artforum mafia, with Natasha Staag and Sarah Nicole Prickett. Mayyyybe Aria Dean but I think she hangs in L.A. Then it's on to Cumtown and Chapo! Also we can't forget trans icons like Hari Nef. Lots of work to be done in this thread! This is just the beginning!

padraig (u.s.)

Padraig we all know you're ancient there's no denyin it now.
I'm 36. Luke is 40 or 41. I'm a gym fanatic (COVID has been a lotta kettlebells at home), but I worry about his health.

@Leo was actually around for early 80s DT NY, I believe. a producer from that scene used to post here back when too (shoutout polystyledesu).

this is the band Jean-Michel Basquiat was in with a young Vincent Gallo, it's actually kinda OPN but in a more Balearic Mudd Club sense (and also better)

padraig (u.s.)

I think part of the importance of this thread is that being "cool" has serious cultural importance. Maybe it didn't always used to be this way?
cool has always been important, the difference now vs historically is that more people care about/are involved in cultural production

or that's how it seems to me

i.e. sprezzatura, the High Middle Ages/Early Modern ancestor of cool, was very important to courtly culture but probably not so much to peasants

modern coolness seems inseparable from mass culture

i.e. the post-WWII creation of the teenager as a demographic to sell pop culture to

Leo

I'd imagine it's always been that way: people maneuvering to hang with Ginsberg/burroughs, edie/Andy, Lydia/James chance, et al.

I'm not saying it's terrible, just that it's been done to death, and by more interesting people. would have probably been a much more fun time with any of the above compared to this latest batch of hipsters with rich parents.

sus

would have probably been a much more fun time with any of the above compared to this latest batch of hipsters with rich parents.

can't imagine this is news to ya but I'm pretty sure they've always been hipsters with rich parents, all the way back

padraig (u.s.)

I'm not saying it's terrible, just that it's been done to death, and by more interesting people. would have probably been a much more fun time with any of the above compared to this latest batch of hipsters with rich parents.
the one thing I'd say is that if you dug into those scenes I have no doubt you'd find just as much circle jerk careerism as now

i.e. my original comment that if you dig into any art scene far enough most of the people will be despicable

and the real difference now is just that the despicableness is visible to anyone who cares to look, in real-time

I do have to imagine hanging out with the Factory crew or the DT 81 scene ppl would have been much more fun than these folks

tho part of that probably has to do with the greater distance in time and corresponding mythologies around them

Thurston Moore, for example, seems like the absolute worst

Reactions: sus