Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I've noticed that when waiters give you that e-pad to pay with your card and leave a tip, the minimum tip option is 18%, and you'd need to press "custom tip" to enter a lower amount.

william_kent

that AP article says that some of those e-pads are set to 30%

the line that got me was the one about the woman who "said even her mortgage company has been asking for tips lately"

Last edited:

shakahislop

i just googled to try to remember where it was and the fourth google result says:

Dean Kissick is an editor at Spike Magazine. He was born in Germany and brought up in the Oxfordshire countryside, before moving to London at 18 to study at ..

shakahislop

facebook:

• nDxCDAeszOF.png

Studied at Royal College of Art
    nDxCDAeszOF.png

Studied History of art at Courtauld Art
    nDxCDAeszOF.png

Went to Magdalen College School, Oxford
    w2cLH8MHQ_P.png

Lives in New York, New York
    k7egJAGHjmH.png

From Oxford, Oxfordshire
    kETDrY1hjMm.png

Followed by 722 people

shakahislop

what a surprise he went to a fancy pants private school

i've also learned he's a friend of a friend of a friend several times over

shakahislop

Jeremey Gilbert and Tim whatshisname are going on about music in mid-70s nyc for hours and hours and hours and hours on thier podcast at the moment, it's pretty good, interesting as well coz while it's easy enough to get a handle on 80s nyc the 70s always feels less well covered

shakahislop

What sort of stuff are they talking about? And who are they?
it's hard really to remember and to summarise. they started about two years ago, there are 86 episodes now according to itunes, and they're an hour or two each. so there's fucking loads of it and i've listened to it all. the last four hours have been them going on and on and on and on and on about the beginning of gay disco, stonewall and the loft, and the relationship between those three things. i think they know what they're on about and they're good at explaining things, the podcasts aren't annoying to listen to, and they come at things from a well informed left-wing theoretical and (broadly) deleuzian perspective. so its very much aligned with my interests.

jeremey gilbert is a lecturer in london somewhere and was i think part of the k punkosphere, and tim thingy i know nothing about but wrote at least one book about the loft

they've just started what they are referring to as a mini-series just about new york in the 70s. the point of the podcast, which does seem to be a bit of a serious project rather than just chatting, seems to be to go on and on and on and on about music in its social context

shakahislop

Linebaugh's wife used to make like $100k a year pouring coffee tho, so it may be out of control. Those new digital registers/Square payment systems will fuck you up with their default 18% 20% 22% options
because of you dweebs the total price of my fucking coffee yesterday morning was $7, which is five pounds sixty nine pence

• Haha
Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
No such dweebs here, so last week when l went to the cafe below my flat and wanted to warm up, I bought a coffee AND a large shot of this lethal fire water stuff which I saw a few locals drinking, the total cost was €1.90 (that's $2.07 or £1.68).

shakahislop

finally went up to the Summit viewing platform thing, it's $40, absolutely outrageous, a total ripoff, such touristy bullshit, there's stupid videos as you go in, the security is worse than an airport, it's like you're being processed, in the corrals and herded along, really cheesy american tourist soundeffects and flashing lights in the lift up, all kinds of gimmicks up there, it's incredibly hot and bright coz the whole viewing platform is mirrors, it's crowded with rich tourists, everyone is taking pictures, there is a lot of insta fodder etc, etc, etc

but even given all that actually once you get out the throng, there's a bar on the top level and i got a table and you can just sit and stare out for ages. you can see the whole city from up there, that's one thing that i haven't seen in other places i think, i mean you can see all the way out to the rockaways, you can see la guardia, JFK and newark airports, you can see brighton beach, you can see pelham bay park, you can see out to flushing, you can see down newtown creek, you can see the verrazano and staten island. you can't see some of the northern bits of the bronx or inwood and you can't see those bits of queens which are out beyond the subway. but it's almost this whole massive 8 million people city visible from one high point. one thing that makes new york a bit easier to think about than some other cities is that there are sharp topographical boundaries, it's only really north and east where the city can and does spread in endless suburbs, south and west have the hard borders of the sea and a massive river / new jersey

shakahislop

I've made it, I'm in the epicenter of the BCM (which is in Manhattan), I went to Dimes itself for brunch. It looks like a cross between a children's play area and a film about how repressed the 1960s were. The only other person in there was a very posh English girl who looked like a model, presumably Leo's wife.

shakahislop

they were playing 90s alt pop hits, like nelly furtado and dido, and the food was very wholesome

it felt like an outpose of brooklyn. like it would have fit in very easily to fort greene. for people in brownstones to swing by on the weekend. but more unusual to find in the dirty grind of manhattan.

Last edited:

Leo

Sounds like some goofy shit Gus would endorse, or even be part of.

A group of San Francisco transplants and tech-adjacent friends are living near one another off the Morgan L stop in Brooklyn, and they’re calling it the Neighborhood NYC. The vision of this “project” (which is not a cult) is to “bring high-agency, emotionally intelligent New Yorkers within walking distance of one another,” or, as they call it, “clustering.” (Again, this is not a cult.) Priya Rose, one of the people heading the effort alongside her husband, Andrew Rose, wrote on Substack that they were trying to “combine the serendipity of a college campus, the co-creation of Burning Man, the agency of Silicon Valley, the vigor of a Midwestern high school track coach, and the culture of New York City.”