IdleRich

IdleRich
i don't even think it's necessarily bad that they prevent you from taking photos but it's one of these things that became a template and that they apply everywhere now and doesn't feel sincere. the angry trans bouncer, the stickers on the phone, a ridiculious (superficial) queue outside, an awareness team saying you can't be sexist or racist, everybody wearing black clothes, etc etc. it feels theatrical and fake.
Yep absolutely. My heart sank a little with the sticker thing... but what you described is literally Outra Cena to a T... and it's a shame cos those are - though well-intentioned cos I do think Kevin is just native and really believes in that stuff - the bad aspects of a really cool place.

It's funny how well you nailed it... skewered it precisely. The other day I went with my friend, hadn't been before and we got there maybe one am, a queue was building and it was raining and there's not really any shelter.

So we approached the front and I could here this door whore asking all these questions to check people were cool enough. Have you been here before, how did you hear about it, who is playing tonight and who do you wanna see.

And then I hear him (more on this in a sec) say to the bouncer and a sort of hanger on that's there too "oh let's take a break. Can't be bothered. Just shut the door and we'll make em wait for a bit,".

Now, to me that doesn't sit that well with all this respect stuff, treat everyone kindly and so on as proclaimed in fifty thousand posters. I don't care how cool you are, I don't think that deliberately making a load of people wait in the pouring rain just cos you can is showing them a whole lot of respect.

Also ahead there is one group ahead with this girl who is fucked up, can't stand and they have to deal with her, send her home I dunno. So these guys step out of the queue to do that and ask if we can hold their place I guess. And then they come back without this girl as agreed with the door staff and we let them past, and then they get to the door and the guy is just like "nah" and he won't let them in. And they're confused and upset, they've waited for ages, got to the front, been told to take thus girl home and come back. They've done all that and waited while the door is arbitrarily locked... and then the door cunt has changed his mind and says they can't come in.

So these guys are upset now and I can see why, and they are saying you said we could come in, what happened? The door guy says I heard you insulting me - and they insist they didn't do it. And then he says, I heard someone insult me - and he pretty much admits that it wasn't them but he thinks that someone somewhere slagged him off and he's just gonna take it out on them cos there's nothing they can do about it. We were in the queue and can hear all of this and at this point I feel totally justified in deciding this guy is just a total fucking prick...

IdleRich

IdleRich
... but I wasn't worried about getting I'm myself cos I've been several times before and I can answer all the questions easily enough, plus I know Kevin and three of my friends are dj-ing that night.

But then I get really close to the front and I see something that suddenly changes everything, and actually turns my blood cold. Cos all through queueing all I could see of the door whore was a big square-jaw covered in stubble and so several times I'd referred to them as "he" to my friend Tiago and I'd even replied to one of the questions saying "man" but to my utter horror, now I'm right there I see that they are wearing a dress under which is the swelling of breasts and it hits me that, entirely by accident, and I honestly think understandably from the information I had at the time, I have misgendered them several times... suddenly I'm not worried about getting in but about being cancelled, labelled a transphobe I dunno...

I should have been thinking "they are a massive arsehole" not "he is a massive arsehole". I really thought I would have the bouncers set on me cos whole queuing I've learned two things

1. The person on the door is trans gender and I have several times inadvertently misgendered them

2. The person on the door is a spiteful bully who appears to take pleasure in abusing the tiny bit of power someone was stupid enough to give them.

But I guess they just didn't hear. Phew. I thought life as I knew it was over

luka

Dont worry rich this is a transphobe forum but only in a gentle non doctrinaire way not an obsessive way

dilbert1

That was a waste of your attention. Personally given the opportunity, I would take some small pleasure in not outwardly acknowledging her or Anna’s presence whatsoever, perhaps going out of my way to do so. Which is actually rather polite, since the best punishment for whatever it is they do is abundant unwanted IRL attention from online men.

shakahislop

there's been a few times that I've come across people from podcasts in real life. it's been disconcerting each time. once was at a dinner in my house in kabul. once was a dude in the changing room next to me at debanhams talking to his wife. it's a different thing to just seeing a famous person i think. it feels one sided. being totally anonymous but knowing a lot about the other person. the inflections in thier voice.