Do you have any superstitions?

version

when i say hello to magpies, i say 'hello mr magpies' cos my wife told me that even tohugh you are saying hello to a single magpie, you actually say 'magpies' because that is their surname or something. as i type this i realise she's just pulling the piss out of me.
I was taught you had to say "Morning, Mr. Magpie. Where's your wife?".

luka

You lot are mad I dunno how you live your lives like this. I don't have any superstitions I'm the 21st century deanxietised man.

catalog

when i was in a fugue state in 2014 i had a thing about not looking at people eg if i passed a beautiful woman on the street, i would just look straight ahead. o waiting for the train, would not look up or down or at anyone, just at various nothings. chasing nothings to look at. very hard to do when you go into it, but sort of powerful, you notice all these eyes on you all the time. but you don't look at them.

catalog

got another auntie, sadly RIP, she was brilliant, she had a thing where if you went to her house, for dinner or lunch, and then if you got called away, like you had to leave cos someone phoned or something, or you unexpectedly had to go, she wouldn't let you leave without having a morsel of the arranged dinner or lunch, so she's get some food out of the oveen or whatever, or give you a spoon of yoghurt as a substitute.

catalog

yeah come on version, what's the whole thing - one for sorrow, 2 for joy - that's where i give up

version

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell
Seven for the devil, his own self

version

The one I was taught only seemed to apply to pregnant women,

One for sorrow.
Two for joy.
Three for a girl.
Four for a boy.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I think of that kind of divination as a scrambling of the will, focusing on it and exercising such practices is a sort of becoming-unpredictable.

version

I'm sure I heard there's some superstition that magpies have a drop of poison under the tongue, also that they're cursed because they "laughed" at the crucifixion. Much like the robin redbreast's supposedly stained with blood as it tried to remove the crown of thorns and pricked its chest in the process.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
@luka do you take that to mean that any given means of divination will procure a consistent interpretation of any given instant? That is, if the same instant is read by different means of divination, the results will be similar, or in accordance in some way?

luka

@luka do you take that to mean that any given means of divination will procure a consistent interpretation of any given instant? That is, if the same instant is read by different means of divination, the results will be similar, or in accordance in some way?

Well, not in contradiction hopefully, though they may reveal different facets of the situation

catalog

magpies are of course horrible bully birds... jays, which have the beautiful blue feathers, as rare as lapis lazuli, are notorious for pecking lamb's eyes out at the very moment of birth.