Do you have any superstitions?

version

The body they find at the start of The Big Nowhere has no eyeballs and KY Jelly in the sockets because the killer put his penis in them.

I get told I make a lot of eye contact. do i make you uncomfortable luke? I dont know if i ever find it intrusive.

version

I get told I make a lot of eye contact. do i make you uncomfortable luke? I dont know if i ever find it intrusive.
nickcagecrazyeyes.jpg

luka

I don't see how I'm supposed to think and reflect and articulate myself if im required to stare at someone's weird looking face the whole time. It's Americans that impose this barbarism.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I think eye contact can enable otherwise untenable social feats. Almost like whatever you're saying gets taken more seriously if you are making eye contact, but perhaps its not that simple. I think it does convey a resolution that can serve as a stamp of validation for whatever message you are conveying.

I like to think of it as motivating eye contact. We're in this together yeah i get ya lets do it come onnnnn

luka

Everything I say gets taken seriously anyway because I have great dignity and gravitas. But yes, obviously as I say, eye contact is useful for intimidation purposes. Staring someone down is sometimes necessary. But not with friends.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I like to think of it as motivating eye contact. We're in this together yeah i get ya lets do it come onnnnn
Totally, just goes to show how dexterous it is as a socio-semiotic tactic. You can convey a deepened gravity, be it intimidating or warming.

version

My dad once said you should try to maintain eye contact when fighting someone as you'll catch anything they do in your peripheral vision and if you just focus on their hands or legs then they can catch you off guard.

In spain people love a good stare and you can just stare back. Hold expressionless eye contact with complete strangers for 5 seconds and then never look at each other again, its great. Not in London, in london people apologise to me in fear of a stabbing

version

He also said if you get cornered by multiple people and there's no way out then you should make a complete mess of one of them as quickly as possible, just like bite them, hit them with a bit of wood or anything you can find etc and hope that it scares the rest of them enough that they run away or don't go all in on you.

luka

I remember being in France as a child in the countryside and noting the bovine quality of the locals, just leaning against a five bar gate and staring

luka

For me eye contact is massively intense, for Americans and the modern human in general it's a kind of prophylactic, a denial of contact. The eye is armoured.

I agree its a very pure and honest appreciation of other humans, English people can't really do it do it because they're too caught up in cultivating the image, status and politeness etc how to get ahead etc