Do you have any superstitions?

version

It doesn't have the same aesthetic impact but as an icon and intermediary it works just as well
I don't think it does. Isn't religious art supposed to inspire awe and overwhelm you? Hard to be awed by a tacky figurine.

martin

----
It doesn't have quite the same effect though, does it? It's Benjamin's aura. There's a power to a Michelangelo that you don't get from a bargain bin.
Dunno, I found some of those tacky figurines eerie and unsettling, especially in low light. Same as some of the mass-produced prayer/relic cards. I do quite like Catholic kitsch, though.

martin

----
We went to Knock once, where the statue of the Blessed Virgin was meant to be weeping blood. She wasn't. My dad said "She must have stopped for today".
Then had to sit through the most excruciatingly boring mass ever.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Louch Derg was a mare. Barefoot, all night prayers. Really heavy. Louch Derg soup too - boiled water with salt and pepper. There are a few indo-Euro myths about lake circuits.

Leo

in baseball, you never see a pitcher step on the white foul line when walking on or off the mound. sometimes they miss it in their natural stride, but often you notice they adjust their step in order to pass over instead of on it.

Leo

one man's superstition is another man's religious ritual. Observant Jews who touch the mezuzah affixed to a doorway wall and then kiss their finger when entering a room.

luka

a lot of people avoid walking through 'the king's legs.' i see this on the street all the time.

martin

----
On the Ryukyu island chain (an arc from Kyushu to Taiwan including Okinawa), if you kill a cat with a car, the car will be haunted by the cat’s dead spirit. To counter this, bury the cat at the edge of the town with cooked rice, bean paste and salt. On the same islands, cats are sometimes eaten for medicinal purposes.

In Akita, if a cat or dog dies you should spit on it three times and walk around the corpse three times to dispel the bad luck; if you do not do this, the spirit of the animal will haunt you. Alternatively, you can leave the corpse in a bamboo forest.

If you leave a cat with a dead body, the body will dance.