Durrty Goodz

pt2 was the mix the producer did. it's a bit shit really but i can up it if you want.

(audacity, "stereo out mix")

tom pr

I just got this. It really is the best grime mixtape ever, isn't it? The second half is just non-stop intensity.

retrofreak

Durrty Goodz UTZ Interview

The interview's below, source- UTZ :

AXIOM HAS MADE A BIG IMPACT,WHY DECIDE TO GO WITH AN EP RATHER THAN A MIXTAPE?
I was listening to a few mixtapes and wondered why I end up putting them down after one listen and thought “why do I keep replaying early “Michael Jackson” albums like “Off the wall” and “Thriller”?
The answer was quality over quantity,

My favorite albums consist of 10 Good tracks as opposed to 25 weak ones also I like when you can replay the whole CD so you really get into the words.

The other thing that annoys me about current Mix CD’s are pointless feature’s for example:
I get excited when two great artists build up there brands and then do a one off special collaboration like:
“Eminem and Jay-z” ,”Redman and Eminem” “Jay-z and Nas” etc

Aimless feature’s on mixtapes and albums cheapens the game IMO.
I also think that rappers cheat the public by doing 2 minute songs, spitting one 16 bar and then calling there friends to do the other verses cause they cant be bothered to write a whole track by themselves.

WHATS THE CONCEPT OF THE ALBUM AS ITS AMAZINGLY DEEP AND KIND OF UNEXPECTED?
Axiom basically means self evident truth.
I wanted to show what could be done within a 10 track limit and that I didn 't have to be a cliché to pull it off.
I also tried to show a bit of expansion and innovation within the Grime scene like:

1. Switchings up the beats on “Switching Songs 2
2. Tempos being slowdown on “Axiom”
3. The alter ego characters on “Youngers” and “Keep Up”
4. Emotion on “A Letter to Titch”
5. Double time story telling on “Give me the Music” and “License to Skill”

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT THE RELEASES OF THE HIGHLY ANTICIPATED "BORN BLESSED" AND "DURRTY WORLD 2"? CAN YOU REVEAL ANY OF THE COLLABORATIONS?
Well that would be telling lol.
Put it this way “Durrty World II” is coming very soon I’m trying to make a landmark Grime album with the best UK talent on it.
“Beat Makers” if you got the craziest beats with big bass lines holler at me on my myspace and send me the download link.
I’m trying my best to make a classic so we can show the world real UK talent.

"GIVE ME THE MUSIC" IS QUITE A BLATANT "UP YOURS" TO CERTAIN ASPECTS OF THE SCENE,WHY DID YOU FEEL THE NEED TO SPEAK OUT?
We’ll for me music comes in two categories only “Good” or “Bad”
There’s too many names for sounds of music that are only slightly different from each other,
It’s starting to confuse the listeners and course musical ignorance and bigotry amongst the fans.
I represent “Grime” and I also represent Hip Hop,Reggae ,Drum n Bass etc.
I acknowledge that all of these style’s exist ,but at the same time I file them all under Hip Hop or Reggae as these are the main genres that gave birth to the rest and taught me how to flow.
I feel that I’ve always spat Hip Hop content on Grimy beats no different to RUN DMC rapping over rock style beats ,but from the time they spat on it it was Hip Hop.
Grime clashing is Dance Hall clashing ,but over slightly different beats.
I find all this talk of “bait Hip Hop” very disrespectful as the same culture some fans choice to diss they are actually participating in “New Era anyone”
All the genre splitting and fancy buzz words should come from the press not the fans.
That’s why I say “just give me the music..I’m sick of the bullshit”

YOU HAVE MANAGED A MIX OF GRIME HIP HOP,GARAGE AND DUB ALL ON ONE EP,WHAT PRODUCERS HAVE YOU BEEN WORKING WITH?
I gotta big up my boy Scratcha /DVA for bringing me “Keep Up”
Coki,Kromestar & F1,Bass Clef,Firewokz,Y Dot and my home boy’s Ignorants for given me the fire.

YOURE ONE OF FEW IF NOT THE ONLY U.K M.C OUT THERE WHO RESORTS BACK TO BLACK HISTORY(WITH ACCURACY) IN HIS LYRICS,DOES IT FRUSTRATE YOU THAT TOO MANY ARTISTS ARE SPITING PURE RUBBISH?
Well each MC is responsible for there on actions, I cant speak for them ,but I personally don’t think you’ll go too far with all them shank bars.
I try to only speak about things I know about and have been through,
I’m crap at being someone else so I just do me.
I’m a foundation MC so I believe in roots I simply follow these blue prints and they keep me grounded.
Also I’d like to be able to listen to my tracks in ten years time without cringing.

YOU WAS PREVIOUSLY SIGNED TO A LABEL ARE YOU FINDING IT EASIER AND LESS RESTRICTING NOW YOUR INDIE?
To me there’s no difference, just less people in my way so I can make decisions and act on them quicker.
Major labels are too big at present there like big ships it takes them too long to turn around.
When I was on a major I did the same things I’m doing now, you have to be strong in there or there’ll change you, just listen to track 5 “License to Skill” lol

ARE YOU DOING THIS FOR THE PEOPLE OR FOR YOURSELF?
I make music for the people and there reaction is my therapy.
I’m an MC I’m hear to uplift the people that’s why I try to spit with different content on Grime.
I’m tired of people perceiving the Grime movement as a bunch of misguided Channel U thugs.
Let’s get business minded.

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE IRRESPONSIBLE LYRICS THAT ARE BECOMING ALL TOO COMMON DIRECTING THE YOUNGERS IN THE WRONG DIRECTION?
What other MC’s choose to do is up to them ,but I choose to be as real as I can in my music.
The fans need to realize that allot of MC’s are acting for street fame and it’s NOT “Real”
I’m on a path and I am trying not to do or say anything that is contradictory to the man I’m trying to become.
Words are weapons so I try to use them wisely.

DO YOU THINK GRIME IS GOING TO FADE OUT AND NOT GET THE REAL RECOGNITION IT DESERVES?
Well Grime is in the hands of the MC’s,Producers and Fans.

1. As long as we do our part by sticking together instead of beefing.
2. Buying good music instead of solely downloading it, “hold tight UKP” .lol
3. Producers making an array of different beats with different tempos and sounds.
4. Be team players as opposed to a bunch of one man islands.
5. Realize that were constantly being divided and conquered by major company cheques.

As KRS One said “Were not just doing Hip Hop we are it”

So I say Grime has a future as long as we preserve each other.

WHICH ARTISTS DO YOU RATE IN THE SCENE AND WHO WOULD YOU YOU LIKE TO WORK WITH IN THE FUTURE?
Dizzee
Ghetto,
P-money
Devlin
Wretch 32
Bashy
Chipmunk
Sway
Black the Ripper

WHAT WAS THE LAST ALBUM YOU PURCHASED FOR YOUR PERSONAL USE AND WHY?
Stevie Wonder “Songs in the Key of Life” to remind me of what real music’s supposed to sound like and what the real levels are.

LASTLY GROWING UP WHO WAS YOUR MAJOR INFLUENCE?
Bob Marley,
Stevie Wonder,
Krs One,
Sizzla
Papa San,
Super Cat,
Ninja man,
Demon Boyz
Hijack

Wot do u all fink of the Interview?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I just got this. It's fucking awesome. He really is the best Grime MC I've ever heard. I really hope me hits some major success soon, so he keeps putting stuff out. He kind of reminds me of Twista with the fast style but with all the Jamaican/patois ting going on, there's a Rodney P resemblance.

Logan played a fantastic track a while back - "They Back Me" - anyone got any idea when this is coming out?

mos dan

fact music
braps, interesting stuff. i really like his comment on features on mixtapes, on the difference between combining redman and eminem, vs bringing in some guy no-one's ever heard of cos he's yr mate.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
man, even goodz' interviews show how far ahead of everyone else he is... the man chats so much sense. great read.

well that only took 4- 5 posts lol

the interview is making a bit too much "sense" to my liking, it's all very "honest", "worthy", down to earth. I like a bit more madness and urgency (like wiley's posts on the rewind forum).

Also, his citing of Stevie Wonder reminding him "of what real music’s supposed to sound like and what the real levels are" make me dread his album being full of "real instruments", "musicality" and "soulfullness"

Lastly, he rates Wretch 32, but not Wiley/Jammer/Skepta ...?

I like Axiom very much though

maaad typos lol but thanks for that interview

if you've been involved (and still involved) in the s*** that Goodz has been...then I'd think you understand his current level headedness (bad spelling)

even if his album is like that (which I wouldn't mind if it's quality and heartfelt instead of contrived and forcing it on g****) then your still getting axiom and durtty whirl pt. 2 - can you really complain?

madness and urgency is great but if you can't deliver a decent listening product (check playtime is over and baaare tunnel visions vs. 10 or so bangers aka. axiom) combined with solid business than who cares too?

I get what your saying re: the mc's but goodz is more a rapper than mc...the mc's he checked straddle that line...murkle and 'em don't...well not well...which is not a bad thing just a point...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Still can't get over how good this is.

What is the penultimate beat on Switching Songs? The one where Durty is singing along "love track, I don't want to get a set back" (or words to that effect)?

retrofreak

Still can't get over how good this is.

What is the penultimate beat on Switching Songs? The one where Durty is singing along "love track, I don't want to get a set back" (or words to that effect)?

"Style" by M-Beat
It was a big Jungle track that sampled "Misdemeanor" by Foster Sylvers

gumdrops

the interview is making a bit too much "sense" to my liking, it's all very "honest", "worthy", down to earth. I like a bit more madness and urgency (like wiley's posts on the rewind forum).

um NO. one guy talking some common sense and not acting like hes still 15 years old is not a bad thing. and its not like its a 'worthy' blight on the whole scene (you act like hes gotten all david cameron on us or something), theres still enough dummies in the grime scene to act the fool for you, dont worry.

Also, his citing of Stevie Wonder reminding him "of what real music’s supposed to sound like and what the real levels are" make me dread his album being full of "real instruments", "musicality" and "soulfullness"
[/QUOTE]

i somehow doubt this happening.

his vocal of stage show is amazing. wow.

S

simon silverdollar

doogz/goodz is just on another level to other grime MCs in terms of his creative ambition, i think. i mean, when in the interview posted above he talks about aiming to make a 'classic'; which other grime MCs are going for that? as enjoyable as, say, Playtime Is Over was, i don't think wiley even tried to make a classic record.

gumdrops

i dont think wiley even tried to make an album, let alone a classic one. although... talking about trying to consciously make a classic though can usually end up being pretty contrived... but i think doogz just means hes modelling his album on the ones he regards highly - which is good. i just hope he gets great beats.

doogz/goodz is just on another level to other grime MCs in terms of his creative ambition, i think. i mean, when in the interview posted above he talks about aiming to make a 'classic'; which other grime MCs are going for that? as enjoyable as, say, Playtime Is Over was, i don't think wiley even tried to make a classic record.

perhaps not classic in the popular sense, but when i think of undisputed classic grime then my mind almost instantly jumps to wiley and early dizzee