Durrty Goodz

boomnoise

♫
logan, do you know if there is a grime producer called peverelist?

the track credited to him on the cd (the weather man) isn't one of the dubstep peverelist's productions.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Some of those tunes were vocalled from records bought in Uptown.

So they would have just gone by what they knew.

Or maybe the track was mis-labelled. Is there a Peverelist tune on there though?

boomnoise

♫
Some of those tunes were vocalled from records bought in Uptown.

So they would have just gone by what they knew.

Or maybe the track was mis-labelled. Is there a Peverelist tune on there though?

Ah ok. From what was previewed on your show, there isn't a peverelist track on there.

S

simon silverdollar

bit late on this i know, but 'axiom' is just astonishing. i can't stop listening to it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
ain't it just!

although he reckons he's doing hip-hop, which has caused a fairly exhausting amount of controversy on rwd... an interesting debate, though i'm bored of it now so you'll forgive me if i don't recount the pros and cons here..

http://www.rwdmag.com/forum//showthread.php?t=83704

The Axiom EP is one of those records which has me smiling within about 20 seconds of putting it on. Love the way his voice skips over the beats with such panache, just like most of my favourite hip hop MCs- Slick Rick, Big L etc.

Re the hip hop thing, on 'Keep Up' he tells the DJ to 'put back that grime beat', doesn't he? Which seems an odd thing to say on the first track if he reckons he's doing hip-hop...

viktorvaughn

ain't it just!

although he reckons he's doing hip-hop, which has caused a fairly exhausting amount of controversy on rwd... an interesting debate, though i'm bored of it now so you'll forgive me if i don't recount the pros and cons here..

http://www.rwdmag.com/forum//showthread.php?t=83704

I can see what he's on about though - some of this really reminds me of the super nimble lyrical style of Gift of Gab from Blackalicious. The track where he personifies music as a woman (Give Me the Music I think) has been done before - eg Jeru the Damaja on his 2nd LP I think. Lots of long complex narrative sentences. And there is no shank or strap talk. 'Switching Songs II', with it's UKG and Jungle pastiches, acknowledges his places him in the rave continuum like no other Grime track I have ever heard before. There is lots of references to his personal experience and life, has lots of 'state of the scene' talk in it and creates a cogent portrait of An Artist rather than an MC just spraying bars.

I do think it is moving away from the grime paradigm for better or worse, especially with the Coki instrumental, the mini mashup of 'Switching Songs II' in there and the fact he has a slight US accent on some of the tracks which I really dislike (B-Live anyone?).

I DO like it a lot, i'm just not sure it's the masterpiece that will save Grime from itself that some 1/4s seem to think (or wish??) it might be. I will still enjoy the best bits of 'Durrty Whirl' and 'It's Real' (Jammer's Pulse X rfx, Gimme Dat etc.) more than the Axiom EP.

gumdrops

nooooo

not the is it grime or hip hop or is grime hip hop debate again...

i dont care what its called, as long as it SOUNDS like grime

viktorvaughn

not the is it grime or hip hop or is grime hip hop debate again...

i dont care what its called, as long as it SOUNDS like grime

Fair enough. I just don't think it's quite as good as it's being made out to be. I'm not sure if everyone who is loving it so much has heard 'Durrty Whirl' and 'It's Real', cos there are some real gems on those.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Been listening non-stop to this over the last month or so...I think the tortured/bring back the scene track is the one, his mcing on this combines his usual dexterity with a gruffness reminiscent of crazy titch (he also opens with his bars) which suits the coki's production perfectly - my only slight doubt is that he is suddenly a lyricist, whereas before he was just someone with a great flow - making me suspect the presence of ghost-writers?

would love to book him for a Dirty Canvas, but I hear he's 'not allowed' to perform in London

*salutes...

Axiom is absolutely fucked. Doogz is a BADDER BAD MAN MC.

with gunfingers*

and trust me...he does not have ghostwriters

the ep is like almost everything I wanted in a comeback release - puts 90% of these mixtapes to shame...can't wait for the re-launched Durrty Whirl mixtape

but...what does Axiom stand for? I know he gave a definition on Sama's show...

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
would love to book him for a Dirty Canvas, but I hear he's 'not allowed' to perform in London

Because of his affiliation with the Crazy Titch incident I presume?
If so, I'm not really entirely sure how warranted that is.

Not that I'm surprised or anything.

Blackdown

nexKeysound

if this related to the titch trial, then it's more police state pre-emptive strikes bullshit. he was found *not guilty* by a court of law, so why should Trident decide whether he does or doesnt perform? if they did this to opera, there'd be outrage.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
if this related to the titch trial, then it's more police state pre-emptive strikes bullshit. he was found *not guilty* by a court of law, so why should Trident decide whether he does or doesnt perform? if they did this to opera, there'd be outrage.

Seconded, that's really fuckin out of order if it's the case.