version

erik davis' book a landmark in this too

Reading this atm. Still feels pretty fresh. I expected Davis to be a bit too credulous, but he's a clear-eyed observer. Stark contrast to a Sadie Plant paper I read recently which championed the internet as a force for women's liberation... Although, to be fair to her, it felt like it was also intended as a rallying cry and the historical thread charting women's contributions from Lovelace up to the web and relating it to weaving was great.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@sufi did you suggest that we do a Dissensus webring of blogs people have here? We must have at least a dozen or so.

I'm looking into some basic javascript to have a list of blog URLs and a button which sends the user to a random URL from said list.

woops

is not like other people
@sufi did you suggest that we do a Dissensus webring of blogs people have here? We must have at least a dozen or so.

I'm looking into some basic javascript to have a list of blog URLs and a button which sends the user to a random URL from said list.
isn't this where we started

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
isn't this where we started
Yes, in certain ways internet culture is starting to come full circle, back to the so-called "cozy web" consisting of smaller, well-aligned communities, as opposed to just these giant public square social platforms like twitter. There will still be both, but I think people will likely feel greater levels of community/connectedness if this cozy web trend keeps advancing.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Yes, in certain ways internet culture is starting to come full circle, back to the so-called "cozy web" consisting of smaller, well-aligned communities, as opposed to just these giant public square social platforms like twitter. There will still be both, but I think people will likely feel greater levels of community/connectedness if this cozy web trend keeps advancing.
Total connectedness is kinda two edged sword: in one way it's wonderful that we have the opportunity to be that connected, but in another way it takes community away when we're all put into huge silos.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Total connectedness is kinda two edged sword: in one way it's wonderful that we have the opportunity to be that connected, but in another way it takes community away when we're all put into huge silos.
Exactly, and I think a lot of internet-native people, who are used to this monolithic social media regime with stuff like Twitter, are starting to come to this conclusion too. Not sure if the term “cozy web” was around in the early internet days.

william_kent

Exactly, and I think a lot of internet-native people, who are used to this monolithic social media regime with stuff like Twitter, are starting to come to this conclusion too. Not sure if the term “cozy web” was around in the early internet days.

no, we used to "surf"

as far as i'm concerned Cozy was the lady in TG

old school web rings died because it was really a "ring", one link failed and it all went off line

but fuck http, Gemini is the real thing

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
no, we used to "surf"

Cozy was the lady in TG

old school web rings died because it was really a "ring", one link failed and it all went off line

but fuck http, Gemini is the real thing
Yeah the webring I’m in doesn’t seem to have this failure point, IE if one link is broken, you just skip to the next with this top navbar. The blogs themselves I think are just iframes below the navbar.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah I think this one in particular isn't trying to do anything new, but its associated with this new search engine called Kagi (the webring is called Kagi Small Web, I believe).

william_kent

Yeah I think this one in particular isn't trying to do anything new, but its associated with this new search engine called Kagi (the webring is called Kagi Small Web, I believe).

I was just thinking about how all my cohort have died and maybe I should post some tales about the golden days of UK free festivals

because i'm not sure how long I really have left

not that it mattters

because death is not the end

DMT taught me this

( edit: silly billy is being a drama queen )