william_kent

I agree but what was the compelling DMT evidence?
damn, you called me out - totally wishful thinking on my part - i know a guy who really died , for a few minutes, proper hospital flatline, and he said there was "nothing". like if you can remember cathode ray TVs, when you turned them off there would be a white dot that fades to nothing, that is what "death" was to that guy - but my near death experiences have shown me that ego can be let go, I'm not me, I could be Mixed Biscuits, "I" could be "anyone"., etc., so there is no evidence , only hope but what does it matter, we'll all find out someday

william_kent

damn, you called me out - totally wishful thinking on my part - i know a guy who really died , for a few minutes, proper hospital flatline, and he said there was "nothing". like if you can remember cathode ray TVs, when you turned them off there would be a white dot that fades to nothing, that is what "death" was to that guy - but my near death experiences have shown me that ego can be let go, I'm not me, I could be Mixed Biscuits, "I" could be "anyone"., etc., so there is no evidence , only hope but what does it matter, we'll all find out someday
really, reality, death, life, it doesn't matter

mixed_biscuits

damn, you called me out - totally wishful thinking on my part - i know a guy who really died , for a few minutes, proper hospital flatline, and he said there was "nothing". like if you can remember cathode ray TVs, when you turned them off there would be a white dot that fades to nothing, that is what "death" was to that guy - but my near death experiences have shown me that ego can be let go, I'm not me, I could be Mixed Biscuits, etc., so there is no evidence , only hope but what does it matter, we'll find out someday
Presumably he was continuing to exist in being able to experience that nothingness

IMO there is too much evidence from too many angles pointing towards continued existence...way, way too much evidence

william_kent

yeah, he fell in to what i'd call a k hole - i spilt rum all over thgis mac book and it is fucked so forgive my one liners, i could go about parrallel dimensions and transmigration of "souls" but not having a return / enter key really messes things up

version

Reading this atm. Still feels pretty fresh. I expected Davis to be a bit too credulous, but he's a clear-eyed observer. Stark contrast to a Sadie Plant paper I read recently which championed the internet as a force for women's liberation... Although, to be fair to her, it felt like it was also intended as a rallying cry and the historical thread charting women's contributions from Lovelace up to the web and relating it to weaving was great.

One of the ideas I liked in that Davis book was the internet as the mind of God.

version

An oddball site, courtesy of @dilbert1 although he doesn't endorse the content.

@Clinamenic Look at this.

5phzlb.jpg

gremino

Moster Sirphine
There's a good post in Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe about boredom and creativity, which has also good writing about over-access to information in nowadays internet.

'Close reading' was a common thing, across art and science, I believe. Close reading is a method of literary analysis which focuses on the specific details of a passage or text in order to discern some deeper meaning present in it. This means reading the same text over and over, word for word, almost fanatically, until it's in your bones. I think people practiced 'close reading' or 'close viewing' or 'close listening' to basically every subject. There was less to look thru, and less ways to access it, so I think it led to people sort of going over things with a very fine-toothed comb; reading the same books over and over, trying to extract new insights, which in turn would lead to innovation, since those insights you extracted probably weren't what the author was going for, but your own unique take on the matter. Like was said earlier; encyclopedias had rather limited information, which led to people 'filling their reports with opinions and critical examination instead of blindly rephrased quotes and lengthy reference sections'. (which seems to be what I'm doing here, lolw)

Today it seems almost like all the gaps are filled, which encourages complacency, or just dumps people in so much content that they can't make much of it. Even things like subculture or counterculture no longer get off the ground because every niche you can think of has already been covered. People who went punk back in the '70s say they did it because it felt like there was 'nothing for them' in the mainstream culture of the time, (as mentioned earlier;' ...there were only three or four TV channels, mostly with nothing you'd want to watch; only a couple of just-about-tolerable radio stations; no video stores or DVDs to buy; no email, no blogs, no webzines, no social media... ) All in all it was probably way easier to feel like you had hit a pop-cultural 'dead-end', that there was some 'gap' to be filled, and from there might come innovation.

"...reading the same books over and over, trying to extract new insights, which in turn would lead to innovation, since those insights you extracted probably weren't what the author was going for, but your own unique take on the matter." I have never been much of a book reader tbh, but I have read a lot of blogs/articles/forum posts from web though. I remember before the current internet information overload (pre 10s), how I were making new insights by understanding writings a bit wrong, because I couldn't fill all the gaps by Googling internet's endless sea of information. Today, you can also easily find huge amounts of information from Youtube about different topics. All the gaps are filled, which can make your creative thinking lazy.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
We're in the era of algorithmic discovery, but curation might make comeback on internet.

Algorithms misses some of the good stuff, like Youtube's algorithm showing this gem only after 6 years!

version

Hypnospace Outlaw is an alternate reality internet simulator in which you become an Enforcer, a virtual mall cop who crawls surreal webpages to find and report naughty users. You'll contend with strange viruses, arcane software, and digital conspiracies along the way.

version

"This zine is a homage to the classic computer newsletters
that gained popularity during the microcomputer boom of
the 1970s and ‘80s. The marketisation of these affordable
home computers meant that newsletters became a prevalent
way of conveying the affordability and accessibility of
these computers which, for the first time, did not require
a tech-savvy user. These newsletters heralded a free and
fortuitous type of exploration that encouraged the amateur
not to shy away from this ostensibly intimidating new
machine."

@catalog @Clinamenic

And here's another zine some of the same people worked on for Media Archaeology Lab:

version

Someone found an old 'Second Life' sort of thing from 1995 called 'Active Worlds' that's still running and has actual graves on it, sometimes with pictures of real people along with their username, and a 9/11 memorial made at the time. Apparently the place is like a ghost town where time just stopped and there are all these relics left behind, bits of people's histories.

"As I write this, I have been exploring Active Worlds for several days. It is a sort of internet archaeologist heaven, where player-created structures stretch out for what can seem like hundreds of virtual miles. There are many worlds to explore — all of which are anything but active — but this main one, AW, has been running since the mid 90s. By right-clicking on any object, I can see who placed it and when. A sign, itself older than me, tells me that a nearby road network is one of the oldest structures in all of Active Worlds. I am shocked to find out that it was laid down in 1995. The road is not just older than me: it is nearly a decade older than me."

"As I sit in a Discord call outlining just how old this road is, even my friends who are in their 20s sit in disbelief. There is a sort of intangible power to this place that defeats the sense of time. Here is an MMO that predates every commonly-cited formative digital space from RuneScape to Second Life by over five years. Here is it, quietly maintained with client updates and running uninterrupted since the 90s. Here is a digital road, paved by someone who might have been 14 or 20 in 1995; they’re over 40 now."