thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Uh, I don't think he's doing that, is he? While it sounds a lot like you're dismissing the misogyny that's pretty routine for women working in just about any part of the music biz. Plus what Rich said.

Oh here we go with tea the white knighting male lmao. Like I care if Gove was let into a club or not. Half the early rave promoters were tories! Big fucking deal! learn to take a bit of banter.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's hardly if robbing someone in the club toilets is some aggressive anti-tory fantasy. Just get the dough.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Meanwhile everyone would be applauding Mcdonnell as a man of the people if he went to a club.

Good for the prick.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lol at white people unironically thinking ghettotech is a feminist statement though. And then going mental when homophobic dancehall is played. The cognitive dissonance is hilarious.

tomfun

lol at white people thinking ghettotech is a feminist statement though.

Do you ever stop and look at which side of the argument you are actually on? Scotland has always been mad for DJ Assault, DJ Funk, Deeon etc. It's not a feminist statement, it's almost just honouring tradition at this point.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Do you ever stop and look at which side of the argument you are actually on? Scotland has always been mad for DJ Assault, DJ Funk, Deeon etc. It's not a feminist statement, it's almost just honouring tradition at this point.

That doesn't invalidate my point. a lot of Ghettotech is misogynistic as point of fact (not moral judgment) in the same way that a lot of dancehall is/was homophobic as point of fact. But music doesn't conform to the dictates of political callout culture, which you and tea are trying to spring on me, in which case you'd have to accuse your friend of internalised misogyny, which you obviously are not going to do.

And tradition in its most broad sense itself is misogynistic and patriarchal, historically speaking.

Where I differ with you is I'm not afraid to admit I listen and dance to misogynistic/homophobic music (even though I'm not straight) because I am not looking to jump the gun and call any randomer on an internet forum a woman hater.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I know which side i'm on, yes. Scotland has a fetishistic (again not moral, just as point of fact) relationship with detroit from a point of remove.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
To be fair she shouldn't have let him in the club. One can separate that from the mens fantasies she's being bombarded with. Equal opportunity of criticism, innit. Don't be such a straight man treating women as a protected category geezer!

This post was sarcastic. Im surprised I have to explain this.

tomfun

That doesn't invalidate my point. a lot of Ghettotech is misogynistic as point of fact (not moral judgment) in the same way that a lot of dancehall is/was homophobic as point of fact. But music doesn't conform to the dictates of political callout culture, which you and tea are trying to spring on me, in which case you'd have to accuse your friend of internalised misogyny, which you obviously are not going to do.

It's a good point, but i do think there is some nuance/cartoonish exaggeration to the way the music of Assault and the like approach their own brand of misogyny that is somewhat lacking in most of the homophobia in dancehall. I also do think that all of us do need to probably catch up a bit to how misogynistic a lot of our attitudes are as well, i'm not saying i am some gold standard of modern thinking.

Someone calling you out for your attitude shouldn't result in some desperate attempt to claim everyone else is just as bad as you, or worse than you, just take your L and stop bleating on about white knighting, callout culture, "learn to take some banter" etc

I know which side i'm on, yes. Scotland has a fetishistic (again not moral, just as point of fact) relationship with detroit from a point of remove.

This is definitely true, yes. I think by the time you leave the central belt it is mostly just the sound of the music, or the memories of hearing them being played on visits to the Subbie or whatever that stick with people though.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Why didn't you just say that initially?

Would have saved us a lot of time messing around during a work day.

Because its more fun like this, comrade! Timewasting as a form of sabotage. @luka gets it. I have long since called clubs tory surveillance prisons. Frankly them not letting Gove in would have been the worst move.

tomfun

Because its more fun like this, comrade! Timewasting as a form of sabotage. @luka gets it. I have long since called clubs tory surveillance prisons. Frankly them not letting Gove in would have been the worst move.
Letting him in and then getting him on camera dancing to a DJ Assault record is better than anything i could come up with, quite frankly.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
And that was what this post was sarcastic about. The inability for mostly UK men (but not exclusively) to face the real conditions of their clubbing and hence as you say, a level of misogyny directed to your friend. Males virtue signalling about how Gove is the fount of all evil, anything but the tories, etc etc. It's ransid. Although Tea has a bit more of a historical beef with me on this because I tend to follow Sivanandan on this.

“What Enoch Powell says today, the Conservative Party says tomorrow, and the Labour Party legislates on the day after.”

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Clearly there’s a fair amount of affectation and performance that goes into what Mr. B does, but that doesn’t make it any less terribly important. The mission of Chap Hop is to celebrate things like manners, grammar, and dressing well over the more unseemly aspects of Hip-Hop culture. It ties in with a larger cultural movement to get back to these things after the slackerish decades of the 90’s and 00’s.

Puke.