william_kent

Jackie Mittoo, Ernest & Jah Stone, Brentford Disco Set – Gold Streak

B-side of The Flames - Born To Be Loved 12" on Studio One

this is proper dub where a familiarity with the original tune reaps rewards

when I first bought this I accidentally played this side first and I was anticipating the gorgeous harmony and melody vocals of the original and I was kept in suspense as I could hear ghosts of the vocal buried far back in the mix, but they never fully materialised and I had to make do with a one finger organ melody, until suddenly a previously unknown to me obscure DJ, Jah Stone, rides the rhythm:

"love is a universal thing"

If I ever secure the 5 am to 8 am Sunday morning slot on a local pirate radio station, then this might be the first tune I'll play

and then after the 5 minute advert break for the local barber and local patty shop and local dance at the local community centre ( "all roads lead to" ) I'd launch into the A side

first twenty five minutes of that imaginary show already accounted for

IdleRich

IdleRich
I never listened to Pram much at the time, but Liza has some comp or something that she puts on when she's cooking. I think they're an underrated band.

Having said that, I do have a couple of their twelves and one has this unusual twisted proto-triphop tune

DannyL

Wild Horses
I never listened to Pram much at the time, but Liza has some comp or something that she puts on when she's cooking. I think they're an underrated band.

Having said that, I do have a couple of their twelves and one has this unusual twisted proto-triphop tune

could almost imagine this one as some kind of Eastern European gem reissued by Finders Keepers

IdleRich

IdleRich
could almost imagine this one as some kind of Eastern European gem reissued by Finders Keepers
Fair point. Also when you look at their song titles such as The Owl Service, they were interested in a lot of the stuff that it became fashionable to be interested in a bit later with Ghost Box etc
This is on the same EP, motorik gear

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm here two days now so two tunes... you can't come to Serbia without hearing this classic, must be by far the most famous...

• Wow
Reactions: sus

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm here two days now so two tunes... you can't come to Serbia without hearing this classic, must be by far the most famous...

When you have one kinda megahit becomes a blessing and a curse. Apparently she spent millions on coke, bankrupted a rich husband by snorting his fortune then kicked him to the curb.
She still touring, still singing that song, like Dawn Penn with You Don't Love Me