wektor

I think there is something quite interesting about the way that what you know about a piece of music has such an effect on what you expect from it and ultimately how you hear it. And I also find it interesting that music made from different scenes and with professedly different aims and so on, can in fact coincide and ultimately be quite similar.

And going back to what I waffled on about at the start, I like putting those kinds of things together when I find them. Though maybe not these two cos they are too similar.

Whatever, I'm always wishing people said more about the tunes they dump wordlessly into the tune of the day thread but maybe I got a but carried away there...
I definitely prefer the latter out of the two, way more energetic.
At the same time, the first one somehow reminds me of hearing DJ Marcelle play at MOT in South London a few weeks ago. A few of my friends (mainly a fine art/choreography crowd) left after something around an hour due to "not feeling it".
It took me a moment to understand why, but it was that type of very psychy- kraut-like party DJ-ing, where several gramophone records playing all at once would be left for around ten minutes, then a cut would happen and another collage would start. All SUPER fucking intense, mind you, if you are willing to get into it, but it was far from what is understood as busy dj-ing nowadays aka dropping the hook of another banger every 30 seconds.
Progressions were usually quite minimal or should I say, more imagined rather than real, which I appreciated heavily.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I definitely prefer the latter out of the two, way more energetic.
At the same time, the first one somehow reminds me of hearing DJ Marcelle play at MOT in South London a few weeks ago. A few of my friends (mainly a fine art/choreography crowd) left after something around an hour due to "not feeling it".
It took me a moment to understand why, but it was that type of very psychy- kraut-like party DJ-ing, where several gramophone records playing all at once would be left for around ten minutes, then a cut would happen and another collage would start. All SUPER fucking intense, mind you, if you are willing to get into it, but it was far from what is understood as busy dj-ing nowadays aka dropping the hook of another banger every 30 seconds.
Progressions were usually quite minimal or should I say, more imagined rather than real, which I appreciated heavily.
Sounds interesting, I've no idea which camp I would have been in though... maybe interesting but not fun. Although it doesn't have to be like that.

shakahislop

this is objectively better than any krautrock record ever made

I love this tune. this is the other k kutta one that's basically the same but i think is even better. there's something poppy about how his voice cuts over the chaos underneath, chucks a load of melody in. i wonder sometimes if it would sound as magnificant if it wasn't so horny, but i think that's probably an integral part of the tune even if it's a bit embarrasing if someone hears you listening to it

version

Yeah, I just saw the album on Boomkat and checked it out. That tune I posted's the best. I skipped the second pretty quickly.

This one's good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Straight in, straight out, no fucking about. Some people would do loads of looping of different bits and then repeat the song a couple times betwern s fade in and out, make it nine minutes long. But I like it more this way, there's an honesty. This is the song, these are the ideas, of course we could stretch it out, but we'd be stretching it thin to fill a gap it's not designed to cover. I wish more house tunes were like this. So much repetition of the building blocks to make it look bigger. Fuck that.

Although this morning I wrote an excellent post about how long things are good and big things represent value for money.

Fuck I don't even know what I think any more. I didn't sleep last night, I'm being fitted up by the cops, I am really in an unusually bad mood

Mr. Naga Pickle

Ndagga Rhythm Force - Yermande ( Prophet 5 Mix )
'
before the Basic Channel / Rhythm & Sound breakup I may have mistakenly thought that Moritz Von Oswald was the "guy", probably because of the Maurizio twelves ( purely based on the name sounding a bit like "Moritz" ) , but since the split I've only bought the Ernestus tunes, and have come to the realisation that maybe Mark was the genius behind the Basic Channel sound and rhythm

Yermande ( Prophet 5 Mix ) is almost my perfect amalgam of kosmiche synth plus dubbed out rhythm excursion

but

in my colonialist fantasies I would pay for Ernestus to fly to Sudan and produce a series of 12 inch singles featuring the stars of Tandalty, much like he did for the series of Sengalese Mbalax stars twelve inches that only I seemingly bought and appreciated

like:

Jeri-Jeri with Mbene Diatta Seck: Mbeuguel Dafa Nekh

I love the way she's lip-synching on the dirty litter strewn beach and various locals just wander past and maybe they might just raise an eyebrow as if they've never even noticed that there is a film crew filming Sabar royalty
never understood why mbalax hasn't become popular outside of west africa in the way that, say, amapiano or singeli or shangaan electro have.
it's fast and banging and frequently features impassioned vocals and psychedelic guitars and synths and stuff. seems like exactly the kind of thing footwork and ambient jungle likers would rush to embrace, yet i've never met a single non senegalese person who's been into it :(

william_kent

never understood why mbalax hasn't become popular outside of west africa the way that, say, amapiano or singeli or shangaan electro have.
it's fast and banging and frequently features impassioned vocals and psychedelic guitars and synths and stuff. seems like exactly the kind of thing footwork and ambient jungle likers would rush to embrace, yet i've never met a single non senegalese person who's been into it :(

well, there's me and one guy who used to work at Eastern Bloc who love this... in fact the ex-EB guy once said to me that he couldn't understand how the techno crew couldn't get down to the mbalax / sabar beats, but it's not dumbed down four to the floor so..make of that of what you will

there's a poster on this forum who hates to be tagged, so i'll respect his reticence, but l'll state that polyrhythm rules ... and when there are dubbed out hunt and peck keyboard synth lines overlaid over polyrhythms then I'm transported to a cosmic state.... but few ( less than I count on one hand ) people seem to appreciate the fusion of kosmiche and dub that I can hear