droid

As for the rest of the world, here's a quick snapshot of whats been happening as we approach year 5 of the pandemic.

Record amount of covid in Wastewater in the Netherlands:

Large increase in covid admissions in England, worst in the south east:

Both BA.2.86 and JN.1 variants rising quickly in the UK:

Parents urged to 'cocoon' infants as Ireland sees the highest ever rate of RSV:

Finland sees its highest ever levels of Covid deaths:

30-40 covid deaths a day in Sweden:

Severely high covid rates all across Canada:

Covid 52 times higher than Flu during flu season in LA

US heading towards its 2nd highest wave of covid:

Chinese 'white lung' mycoplasma pneumonia spreads worldwide. Debate over whether this is a result of JN.1 variant or a result of immune dysregulation due to prior covid infection ala pediatric RSV:

Covid still a major factor in Australia's persistently high excess death rate:

https://twitter.com/BigBadDenis/status/1737348042033152496

Two of the most senior health officials in Germany and Canada warn of the serious danger of long covid

https://twitter.com/_CatintheHat/status/1734906646915154404

Nearly half of the UK supports mask mandates in polling:

https://twitter.com/0bj3ctivity/status/1734568936195150315

I could go on.

droid

Oh I forgot to mention perhaps the most terrifying thing. After months of touring CDC facilities unmasked and cropping her masked colleagues out of promotional photos the new CDC directer Mandy Cohen actually mentioned masks for the first time recently.

And after ignoring months of alarm bells from variant trackers, the WHO has no designated JN.1 as a variant of concern and urged masking be adhered to in all healthcare facilities.

droid

Well, there we go. The ONS survey was just released. 1 in 24 people in England and Scotland have Covid. This time last year the number was 1 in 45. Prevalence is highest in the London area at 6%

Something to consider the next time you go to a pub, get on the tube, go shopping, or indeed try and live any kind of normal life. If there's 23 or more people around you, at least one of them has covid.

droid

Yeah, that's why my immunocompromised friend whose been in lockdown for the last four years is now in hospital after 15 days of severe covid infection.

It's why probably tens of thousands of people around Europe who are alive right now will be killed by covid before the end of January - because ignorant, callous pricks like you couldnt give two fucks about the people around them.

mixed_biscuits

Something to consider the next time you go to a pub, get on the tube, go shopping, or indeed try and live any kind of normal life. If there's 23 or more people around you, at least one of them has covid.
First, the maths is wrong; second, if everybody with Covid is merrily going about their business then it's not very dangerous is it!

mixed_biscuits

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
First, the maths is wrong
Indeed. If that 1-in-24 prevalence figure is correct, there is no size of gathering that would guarantee at least one person present has covid (edit: short of almost the entire population of the UK, granted), but the threshold for the probability of at least one person present being infected exceeding 50% is actually 17.

mixed_biscuits

Indeed. If that 1-in-24 prevalence figure is correct, there is no size of gathering that would guarantee at least one person present has covid (edit: short of almost the entire population of the UK, granted), but the threshold for the probability of at least one person present being infected exceeding 50% is actually 17.
If 17 people guarantees that one half person has Covid, just avoid the half person - they'll be easy to spot.

Benny Bunter

I very much refute that I need to put a mask on and install an air filter in my house to show that I care about the people around me.

I'll bet no one else on here apart from you does these things, so you're calling all of us ignorant, callous pricks. Do you go up to random people on the street and insult them like this?

droid

You must think practically everyone's callous ignorant pricks

I think loads of people are tired, ignorant, credulous and willing to believe anything that will allow them to get back to 'normal' and not think about the ongoing harm being caused.

I think people who refuse to look at the facts and make derisive comments about a disease that has killed 27+ million people, given a chronic illness or disability to 2-300 million and continues to kill and wreak havoc after 4 years are ignorant, callous pricks.