POETIX

craner

Beast of Burden
ive got a friend whos a neuroscience guy he teaches it at university and i know other people who have studied it to a high level and they all are sure about one thing, and that is that its a load of bollocks. so in this case Gus is 100% right

It's true, I remember telling you this

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
ive got a friend whos a neuroscience guy he teaches it at university and i know other people who have studied it to a high level and they all are sure about one thing, and that is that its a load of bollocks. so in this case Gus is 100% right

playful Luka

luka

Text book appearance - clear but opaque, deep brown under a doeskin tan head of fine bubbles. Smears of sticky lace and a tenacious film of foam persists, dense like a nitro Guinness.
Aroma is also classic export stout - sweet and scorched notes of molasses and roasted barley, fruity esters of plums and berries. Very little hop spice in the nose - it's all about the malt blend.
The flavor is subtle and luxurious - sweet, roasty and toasty. Lots of cocoa and toffee notes, coffee and brown sugar on granola.
Excellent grain character and complexity. Hop bitterness comes in late and blends beautifully with the black grain dryness though I could use a bit more hop bite in this, it works fine the way it is - unique and old school.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with the 7.5% almost completely hidden in the rich mix of charred malt and restrained hop rate.
A truly excellent robust stout from one of Americas finest brewers

luka

Pours a dark mahogany color. A moderate tan layer of film soon dissipates but displays some lacing.

Aromas of dark fruit, dark toasted malts, as well as cinnamon like spices. Notes of bubblegum, fresh baked pumpernickel and rye, citrus, caramel, and a hint of nutty and roasted malts.

Lots of complex but nicely balanced flavors going on here. Lightly roasty notes of bittersweet dark chocolate, caramel, toasted and biscuity malts. Flavors of dark fruit, cherry, plum, raisins, bubblegum and cinnamon. Moderately sweet with a gentle earthy bitterness that increases further in. Finishes smooth and dry.

Full bodied, almost medium, and drinks easily. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a moderate to gentle carbonation.

luka

A: Black pour with a solid two fingers of beige head. Excellent retention, thin veil of lacing.

S: Very aromatic, with layers of roast and chocolate wafting out of the can as soon as it's cracked. Soot and smoke, brownie batter, chocolate truffles, freshly roasted coffee, black strap molasses. Fruity suggestions of date sugar and plum syrup. Yeasty with slight whiffs of allspice and clove. Fleeting tropical/orange peel sort of note.

T: Starts with pumpernickel rye bread, molasses, and brownie batter. Date sugar and a mild figgy flavor. Very quickly goes bone dry as impressions of French roast coffee beans, soot, and smoke really amp it up middle to end. Bitter dark chocolate. Clove and allspice, almost steely for a moment. Green and oily hop flavor is punchier than expected and brings its own mildly clamping bitterness. Lingering finish of soot, smoke, and char.

M: Medium bodied, super creamy, fluffy, and airy in texture. Highly carbonated and bitey. Fair bit of astringency.

O: The dryness and light(ish) body make this drink very easily. Feels like nothing in the stomach. The big roastiness of it really sets in on the back end and owns the long-lingering finish. That might be a bit much for some. There's some complexity to be had, but ultimately that smokey/roasty bitterness overruns the rest, and then the hop bitterness and clovey Belgian yeast further pound the palate with bitterness. I'm kinda split on this one. It's not a bad beer and I love the sheer weightless drinkability and awesome texture and mouthfeel, but the most memorable impression it makes is a bitter and smokey one, and almo

toko

There are two distinct reasons for treating the study of subjective experience - how things appear to us, what that appearing feels like, what textures and adumbrations it has - as first philosophy. One is to make sure we aren’t mistaking appearances for reality - we have to know ourselves, as knowers, before we can really know what we can know, otherwise we will keep mistaking how things are for us for the way things really and necessarily are. So that motivation gives rise to a phenomenology which is about taking ourselves properly into account when thinking about how we think about the world. That’s what Edmund Husserl was up to - he wanted to provide a foundation for science, and his phenomenological investigations were intended as a long detour along the path to that goal.

The other motivation is just subjectivism: the texture if our own experience is all we can ever possibly know, so the only real philosophical task is to describe it as profoundly and variously as possible. This is what gets people’s backs up, as it turns all of philosophy into theoretically sophisticated navel-gazing.
yeah I think it's the "correlationism" of phenomenology that (realist) philosophers often dislike. It feels like nothing has really been said, and what we are doing with philosophy is jerking each other off about the fact that nothing can be said about the external world independent of our mediation of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sus

toko

Of course it's an over simplification, but that's my read from talking to some of my realist professors

Reactions: sus

toko

Luka what do you do for a living that affords you so much time. I'm stimulant popping unemployed crypto NEET and yet you seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of me when it comes to posting online. you are everywhere on this site

luka

but if i wasn't i would aspire to being a stimulant popping unemployed crypto NEET tbh. it sounds brilliant.

woops

is not like other people
Text book appearance - clear but opaque, deep brown under a doeskin tan head of fine bubbles. Smears of sticky lace and a tenacious film of foam persists, dense like a nitro Guinness.
Yum what is a nitro Guinness sounds amazing
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with the 7.5% almost completely hidden in the rich mix of charred malt and restrained hop rate.
Stan has gone to the toruble of finding the 8.5% version what a lad