POETIX

toko

is success with crypto what enables you to be NEET, toko?
yes. though I can't buy expensive cars or big houses I can afford not to work for the next 20 years or so (hopefully longer.) the journey has been a long and perilous one- got into crypto 2016 with around 10 grand or so my grandpa gave to me for college.

in the depths of the bear market in 2019 I found 4chan's /biz/ board and that's when I started finding the shit-covered gems. at that point, the only people investing in crypto were either delusional or ideological. I suppose I was a bit of both. anyway, made almost all my money from browsing 4chan. makes me smile thinking back on it, a bunch of basement dwellers memeing themselves into life-changing wealth.

catalog

you can afford not to work but you are still going to conferences voluntarily? on your own? or are you going so you can get the expensive car and big house?

toko

yeah, been following glen weyls work for some time so it's mostly just out of curiosity that I am going. plus the conference is going to definitely have a crypto twist, decentralized governance/how public institutions can use the technology to make them more fair etc etc. radicalxchange is a interesting blend of crypto idealists and preachers like vitalik and radical political economists ( like Weyl) from academia.

sus

Wow I also aspire to be a stimulant popping crypto NEET

Recently I think my grift is becoming a Web3 philosopher.... Lotta money in the space, very little quality thinkers. You can bring up Keynesian beauty contests and still wow people, which means there's gotta be low-hanging fruit there, right? I felt the same way about video games criticism but I think loads less money, and you have to spend all day playing video games.

sus

All my crypto stories are the classic sob story regrets kind—had a bitcoin in 2014 but lost the keys because I was 19 and stupid and didn't understand anything; friend talked me into buying ETH at a party when it was $70 a pop and then I forgot because it was a party and I was drunk. Boring what-ifs.

sus

Have you struggled with gratitude? I know a lot of people who, even though they made decent money (5-6 digits) on crypto, are always thinking about how they could've gotten orders of magnitude more if they hadn't made X mistake. Or my current job, I'm able to work two days a week and get paid a living salary in part because of skillset and the current bull economy, but there's the "what if" voice still squatting in my brain. You could always have had more. Others around you do have more.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah that "what if" seems liable to arise regardless of your circumstances. There will almost always be players who are operating an order of magnitude above you, financially.

Leo

Have you struggled with gratitude? I know a lot of people who, even though they made decent money (5-6 digits) on crypto, are always thinking about how they could've gotten orders of magnitude more if they hadn't made X mistake. Or my current job, I'm able to work two days a week and get paid a living salary in part because of skillset and the current bull economy, but there's the "what if" voice still squatting in my brain. You could always have had more. Others around you do have more.

we old folks have that discussion about real estate. sure, that apartment has doubled in value if but you'd only bought in a year or two earlier, it would be worth 4x.

sus

we old folks have that discussion about real estate. sure, that apartment has doubled in value if but you'd only bought in a year or two earlier, it would be worth 4x.
Yeah my grandma does it with stocks too. "We had X amount of Apple stock in 1989 we'd be millionaires now"

is that true? I've read stories like that, ouch.
Yeah I mean this when a bitcoin was about $300 and I basically kept some in a wallet to buy drugs on darknets with. That's all bitcoin was back then lmao, a way to buy MDMA and acid. At some point my computer bricked and I either couldn't be bothered to recover the info from my hard drive or never thought to.

• Wow
Reactions: Leo

toko

Wow I also aspire to be a stimulant popping crypto NEET

Recently I think my grift is becoming a Web3 philosopher.... Lotta money in the space, very little quality thinkers. You can bring up Keynesian beauty contests and still wow people, which means there's gotta be low-hanging fruit there, right? I felt the same way about video games criticism but I think loads less money, and you have to spend all day playing video games.
yea, it's something that I wish to do as well. as you say, there is an abundance of capital and very few original thinkers. i do think there is a need for more genuine philsophical discussion--although philosophy and econ were common topics in the bitcointalk days, so much has changed since then. financial incentives have led to the profileration of "cheerleader" pseuds, who are essentially mouthpieices for x coin and its corresponding ideology. they add nothing of intellectual value and just make it harder for any real kind of discussion. but i digress.
on occasion I do. I could have 3x more if I worked harder during the 2019-2020 period. But hindsight 20/something etc etc... so i try not to fuss too much.

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@toko @suspended we could start a conversation group (a proto-think-tank / consultancy) about experimental governance structure and web3 philosophy (molding robust mission statements, etc.)

There are some governance token ideas I'm working on, for a proto DAO I'm in and for another I'm still brainstorming, that involve having a non-fungible token as a "badge" that enables the governance tokens in the same holder's wallet to count toward voting.

The goal here is to prevent governance token holders from selling the tokens, which may help preserve the integrity of stakeholder governance.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Cause I agree, that while this space is exceedingly advanced in a technical sense, it stands to become more sophisticated (generally) in a philosophic and conceptual sense, dare I say even a gnostic sense.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
We have, and @luka has already said discord is too confusing for him, so no need to build up any defenses against the transoceanic wrath of the king.