linebaugh

The point is it's music ABOUT teen girls and that's super interesting, and yes OBVIOUSLY teen girls demand hit singles that reflect their fantasies, but ALSO we can all learn something here
music criticism and culture in the sphere that lana del ray is in isnt really about that any more. The culture there isnt down stream from the youth and gays and black people any more but white male perverts in their 20's. If we want to learn we have to understand what were studying.

forclosure

The point is it's music ABOUT teen girls and that's super interesting, and yes OBVIOUSLY teen girls demand hit singles that reflect their fantasies, but ALSO we can all learn something here
i suppose but grown men talking like they understand the minds of teen girls through pop music will never ever sit well with them

especially because all the grown who do this are differing shades of fucking crazy

sus

music criticism and culture in the sphere that lana del ray is in isnt really about that any more. The culture there isnt down stream from the youth and gays and black people any more but white male perverts in their 20's. If we want to learn we have to understand what were studying.
That's not remotely true. White males in their 20s are absolutely not her core demo if that's what you're trying to claim here

sus

your not in touch with the youth. you live in the woods. I spend all day giving tattoos to chicagos hippest young queers. you need to trust me.
I agree she has aged up and isn't for teenagers anymore, but her listeners absolutely are disproportionately female and gay.

sus

"You're beautiful and I'm insane
We're American-made"

Some of the things romanticized in Lana songs:
  1. Mental illness
  2. BDSM
  3. White tshirts
  4. Red lipstick
  5. Pedophilia
  6. Fame
  7. Prostitution
  8. Darkness
  9. Boardwalks
  10. Beaches at night
  11. Getting high
  12. Domestic violence

linebaugh

That may be true in the raw numbers but what makes Lana Del Ray the force she is is that she's an outlet for perverts. If she was just for women and gays she'd go quietly along with little fan fare- like how Curren$y has quietly had a very succesful decade long career making music just for college freshman

sus

False, what makes her a force is (1) she captures the American imagination (2) she has very good melodies

forclosure

but to be serious for a sec @suspended i'll leave you alone after this but like i said i missed the boat with Lana and still have but from what i gather her whole thing is alot of broad gesture suburbian Americana self destructive WASP shit

that's definitly gonna tick all the boxes for somebody but a young black man from North London? nah man not happening and collabing with Asap Rocky ain't gonna do it

i know Americans didn't know black people existed here until Attack the Block came out but it's true

linebaugh

I know you believe me in all of this because the basic archetype discussion around lana del ray is trite, boring. something you know is beneath your typical ultra meta exegesis.

sus

but to be serious for a sec @suspended i'll leave you alone after this but like i said i missed the boat with Lana and still have but from what i gather her whole thing is alot of broad gesture suburbian Americana self destructive WASP shit

that's definitly gonna tick all the boxes for somebody but a young black man from North London? nah man not happening and collabing with Asap Rocky ain't gonna do it
That all makes sense, though perhaps you could try viewing her as an exotic other

sus

I will say I'm a bit dubious of this Attack The Block claim given I've never heard of this supposedly consciousness-raising work