Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if the lads (its lads) writing that sort of script are absolutely creasing writing a line like that

You'd like to believe they think it's really good stuff

I think my dream job might be writing dialogue like that for a hollywood studio

Living in a mansion in the hollywood hills, snorting my nose off and penning a new gerry butler movie

IdleRich

IdleRich
Something about the pacing these attempteted blockbusters take to fit in enough world building to qualify as an 'epic' while also remaining below a 2 1/2 hour run time disgusts me. Its the acting, its so rushed its impossible to seem human
Having been thinking about tv cos been talking about Succession in the other thread, I feel that this is, in part, once again, due to telly. The director of an epic film surely feels that he must make it somehow "bigger" than a tv series about normal people working in an office or doing any of the normal people stuff that they do in telly shows and I think that puts him or her in an impossible position cos even if the epic film is about eternal and almighty gods and heroes while the tv show is about undertakers or people who work in advertising, the brute fact is that the former is two hours long and the second is sixty hours long. How to overcome that? You can't, but I bet trying to do so leads to some peculiar and desperate decisions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Massive tits on all the women in this. that was put in for the dads. A highlight of the writing so far is when the provincial teenage protsgonist is drooling over a pair and goes 'the gods genouosity know no bounds'

Very witty. I'm actually watching Wild Wild West right now, the Will Smith vehicle* which also features Kevin Kline and Salma Hayek. There is a bit where, after an argument, they give Hayek a lift in their steampunk train, and when she goes to bed she turns round showing a rip in her nightdress which reveals her bum to our two heroes. Sadly it is by far the best scene in the film, enlivened by the following sparkling repartee

Kline as Artemus Gordon: Ah, she is a breath of fresh ass
Smith as Captain James West: See, I told you she would be a distraction
Gordon: How so? I merely said she was a breast of fresh air.
West: For goodness sakes, it's time for bed, let's get some shut-ass

Clearly the gods weren't feeling too generous when they were handing out lines to these scriptwriters

*Though if it were an actual vehicle it would have failed to start and when it finally did it would have crashed into a hapless family waiting for a bus, killing them all and its driver

IdleRich

IdleRich
My favourite is "shut-ass" cos it just doesn't work at all on any level, and also because of the graphic image that can't help but come to mind when told someone needs "shut-arse"

luka

idle rich you dont notice at first but it creeps up on you hes the most lavishly flagrantly mentally ill perosn in the whole wide world

IdleRich

IdleRich
Which city do you think is the bank robbery capital of the US or even the world*? Struck by two cities claiming it lately in the openings of films. I actually think the full quotes were longer but this is what I can find online l

There are over 300 bank robberies in Boston every year. And a one-square-mile neighborhood in Boston, called Charlestown, has produced more bank and armored car robbers than anywhere in the U.S.

2400 times a year. 44 times a week. 9 times a day. Every 48 minutes. A bank is robbed here. This is the bank robbery capital of the world. Los Angeles.

Two sets of opening credits for two different films starring two of the worst actors... but which is more impressive and can truly claim the crown?

Is it Ben Affleck's The Town which has way fewer robberies, or is it Gerard Butler in Den of Thieves which apparently had no-one on set who could do basic maths or even operate a calculator?

I'm going for the latter, I love the thought of people going to all this trouble to make a film, getting the script and the crew and the actors. Putting the whole thing together like a really expensive and complex three dimensional jigsaw puzzle - and the very first thing you see or hear, the opening that reveals the culmination of all that work is someone reading stats that simply don't make sense, that are not internally consistent, but are in fact mathematically illiterate. Or just laughably stupid.

OK probably Butler wasn't directly responsible for this but I like to think that he was, that his grizzled Scottish tough guy spirit was standing behind the director saying "Listen here pal - ye can have some a they girly numbers in the film but keep em away from me eh? And make sure they are wrong, right?"

*though I suspect that this latter is creeping hyperbole of the kind that gets winners of US tournaments named as world champions - getting called on that is in the news just now I see

luka

you cant dredge up remarks i made paralytic years ago and expect me to explain them to you

IdleRich

IdleRich
But I only just saw it, if I could go back in time and ask you then I would do that (well, first I'd stop MB from being born obviously, but after that).

IdleRich

IdleRich
I also watched gamer yesterday but dont have much to say, it was honestly pretty solid

disappointing parts were its unimaginative veiw of the future where everything is the same except that advertisements are the size of buildings and computers are 10 feet tall
Oh... you've seen it. I agree, not too bad.

sus

That's so true. There is a "look" to the 2010s and 2020s. The people themselves. The ideals of human beings. They have 90s/2000s phenotypes

sus

Same with Anna Kendrick and Allison Brie. Dated facial features.

Anya Taylor-Joy. Hunter Schafer. Zendaya. Sydney Sweeny. Kat Hernandez. Tavi Gevinson. Jordan Alexander. That's what the early 2020s are selling us