Best of 2022 - 10 out of 10 tunes only

catalog

I get a sort of dissonance listening to this and watching the video. It feels very close to a UK look and sound. Really weird.

Can someone explain how this has happened. I'm assuming they are not looking to the UK at all, or are they?

Benny Bunter

I get a sort of dissonance listening to this and watching the video. It feels very close to a UK look and sound. Really weird.

Can someone explain how this has happened. I'm assuming they are not looking to the UK at all, or are they?
It's the NY version of UK drill, the next wave after Pop Smoke so it definitely is (bit of east coast club style mixed in there now). That's the tune that really stuck out for me earlier this year from the Brooklyn Drill thread too.

catalog

But there's definitely an intentional borrowing from UK drill? Knowingly? Find that so weird, but I suppose it's understandable.

Benny Bunter

It started off with UK producers doing beats for Pop Smoke. It is pretty weird, pretty much unprecedented turn of events really.

catalog

It's that sound that feels very UK, all I can do is call it "woozy" and hope that is understandable. A sort of bending of the sound. Like splitting focus if it was a film. That's a very UK thing to me, not something I associate with American music, which has this precision to it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of the best ny drill i've heard came out in 2020/21 but that's maybe cos I was diving into the whole thing at once

These 2 are from 2022

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
okay but warning 1. benny and others hated most of it or got bored quickly, which is fair enough cos if you're not in the mood this stuff can batter you down within minutes 2. this is a playlist i compiled while discovering the music. although there is a lot of stuff i really like on this (i've shunted many of those to the top), there's a lot of stuff on here that i don't necessarily think is great but which i thought was an interesting indication of the variety of sounds and weird trends in the music