wild greens

Lets do an RA post. Roadside Gs were one of the few really good grime/rap crews from South, two or three good tapes, loads of good sets on Ontop when they showed up, really good chemistry between them, flows bouncing off flows, setting eachothers punchlines up and all that .
Think thats a big difference between certain eras- 1st iteration of Nasty had it, Dizzee and Wiley (Riko & Wiley, Riko & Flowdan..) had it, Essentials had it, the segue between moments and flows. When Roll Deep started to get bloated they lost it, when they tried to do the 2nd version of Nasty, no. Slewdem Sidewinder Raw 3 has it in abundance.
So the Roadside Gs tapes have that energy of just mates rapping together, clearly upto no good, jump in the studio chat shit, go off and do mad shit. Great energy.
Anyway after RA got banged up they sort of fell apart and came back, and he's out now but i care more about the old stuff because I'm old now and you can't keep up with everything can you. The new tunes are really good though.

Recommend the first two tapes massively, any set pre-2006, anything pre getting banged up. I'm not a gossip monger you can look up what happened

Some nostalgic "southern rap" style stuff going on as well. Do you remember when that was a big thing and people tried to pretend Dizzee running round with Semtex and UGK was somehow good rather than completely shit. Anyway the beats this lot used were good

wild greens

Anyone who managed to watch the whole of the Tempman D'ardest video knows that hes mad in the head and i think back locked up now but he was a big PDC MC, wild flow, got some good tunes knocking about. Put Him In The Boot has Roadside Gs on it, big link up

If you can find the Shooting Star tapes get them, they're good. I don't like recommending PDC tapes as some of them like Tanna had fake yank accents, no thanks. Not that id have said that to him at the time, ofc

Lets do big pretty house tunes for 55 don't want to get sucked up into the grease too much

Last edited:

wild greens

Part of the appeal of Tempman for me is the fact that he isn't actually that good at least half of the time. He had some tunes over Wiley beats on Shooting Star 2 but they're not online. Not uploading them atm, long

Last edited:

wild greens

I first got into a club when I was still in school, like a lot of people in the late 90s/early 2000s I guess. The Paradox; probably awful now thinking about it, but it was on Radio City on a Saturday night and in school listening to that was a big thing for us; a few of the girls had got in already because they always did. But- I had a growth spurt at 14 so the summer after I was 15 a couple of us lads tried to get in and somehow made it in. No tablets then, i didn't do any of that till I left school (the weekend after my last exam!) but we had enough for a couple of drinks and entry fee etc (fiver before 12), i got a grip of some woman, that was it I was hooked. The music was pretty shit in there, though, i don't have much nostalgia for it. But it's all the learning curve. I had decks from 14 so I was idolising all these hypothetical dj lads
A few years later I have left school and I'm on the sites for a bit, 16, but it dries up a bit as winter comes and I was a lazy cunt, not arsed, so I'm one of the first to get quietly binned- an uncle had done me a favour putting me on anyway really. But I had some good clothes, pretty face, end up working in Wade Smith in the run-up to christmas. It was on the downturn then I guess- went under a couple of years later- but that was one of the big independent clothes gaffs up north then, height of scouse fashion. Loads of girls and that, in my element, grafting away and getting nowhere. Loved it.
Anyway most of them were older than me, and some lads from south Liverpool who wouldn't be seen dead in the Paradox, listening to bugged out CDs in the stockroom, getting dragged out to Society, Garlands, G-Bar, the Barcelona, all that. I don't expect those things to mean much to you but you stepped away from the kid friendly world and into the proper clubs, grown and sexy vibes. Then onto Voodoo at the Masque which was a proper revelation to a little rat like me
Much later on when I left that job and got a "better" one we got into tablet overdrive and mainly went gaffs like the Sunrise, 150bpm oblivion, the beak started coming out at the after-parties, it got dark all that. Lots of mates starting to sell beak and that, not good buying off lads you know. Tick till payday

Anyway... a good raving girl in there, Sue something or other, said about "Intro"- it's that tune that's always on if you get into Barcelona about 12, and that felt like the realest thing I've ever heard at the time. She'd just bought the CD single, played it on the shop stereo. So vivid; just coming up on the tablet, that phasing effect on the Jets' "Crush On You" sample, the huge subs (probably tiny now).

When i was 19/20, after all this, I started coming down south and getting onto what was going on down here, and that was a different world again, though I wasn't really a part of it till much later; I kind of dismissed a lot of this then, and for years, which is stupid really, but you have different ideas throughout life eh

wild greens

Completely unrelated to any clubbing ever done by me. I spent about four months trying to track this down after hearing it in a weird Spanish mastermix-style thing but no bastard knew what it was. Eventually after the third or fourth twitter run at it someone did an @ at a Mexican hard house dj and he knew what it was. Weird, the internet
Think he described it as a big tune for his aunties at barbeques. Good description that, shows you how hard the tune is. You have to remember that the bar structure is all fucked up at the beginning if you're mixing it, though. Need a good CDJ loop to make it work really, hate to try it on vinyl

Great piano riff

wild greens

I have what is probably misplaced memory of listening to this in Circus (Yousef's night) in about 2003, mdma proper flowing, that little synth bassline twigging behind the beautiful little piano; one of the best riffs I've ever heard tbh. Truthfully it could have been one of several clubs, could even have been that weird hovel Sankeys in Manchester that I never got on with, but regardless, it's such a good tune it needs to be in here somewhere, so let's just assume it was a mythical place somewhere in 2003 or even 2004 that has never left the back of my mind, I am surprised I'm not getting a rush in the background at the moment tbh

My vinyl copy of this is smashed to shit

wild greens

This is another one from the Barcelona bar, though I actually remember it more vividly from much later when someone played it in the Horse & Groom in Shoreditch and I had some weird nostalgic flashback and it was really hard to explain in quite an addled state. I often wonder how that place got so many big DJs booked in it considering it was just a room above a pub but maybe that was the appeal. I got booked to play there once when I was in my late 20s I think, but it was the day after I come back from Amsterdam and I was in a fucking horrible state, ended up having to walk around the block twice to gather myself and threw my belt in a bin before I went on

Anyway i associate this tune mostly with beautiful glam scouse girls with big hair from my distant memory

Last edited:

william_kent

Top shagger here.

So jealous of my auld fella for going Quadrant Park. He isn't in this video, he confirms

had friends who went there, you don't experience that energy nowadays, missed my chance when visiting some mates in Bootle, was invited but felt I had stay in to console my mate whose kid had just died, his missus went out raving at the Park, but everyone deals with grief in different ways, she partied, he cried, felt I did the right thing but "regrets'... fuck it, he needed the support that night

wild greens

I have had "it" in a fair few isolated moments but never as concentrated as i guess the old ecstasy rave days were

I have occasionally assumed it had to do with that ingredient that used to be in tablets that aren't anymore, what was it called