william_kent

looks like 3 triangles to me

ABXFCAAA5YA7IAIAAAAAB3QB6QA7777774AAAAAAKEBFQAQA.jpg

edit: or not quite now I look at it closely, but this was the tat design

william_kent

@version just deleted his post joking about the "order of three triangles" and I was just about to post a witty reply about how at its height the ONA had three members, David Myatt, Christos Beest / Richard Moult ( Current 93 musician ), and the "elderly gentleman from Reading" who was into "Roman Wrestling"", but now that's been ruined... boo...

william_kent

( aka Sassafras ), yeah, that was the essential ingredient in proper MDMA, it got banned mid 90s which resulted in a obvious decline in the quality of pills - I noticed it in 1996 when pills just didn't have that same kick, all downhill from there

although, it has an 'odour' that I could still detect in the crystal MDMA I was getting from Amsterdam until five or six years ago, but I'd have to snort a gram to get a fraction of the same buzz I got from a dove or a mitsi

william_kent

I feel like deleting my previous posts because I might sound like like some of the old Northern Soul geezers I've met who have "SKF" tats ( the best amphetamine pills they ever broke into a chemist shop to steal ) and who will drone on about how they got "blocked' at the Twisted Wheel club in Manchester in the 1960s

wild greens

Everyone should be into Mobb Deep and agree with me in saying the Infamous is the best rap album ever or at least top 5 but what's the point in posting well known tunes, with all this time i am wasting posting these tunes from the depths of my recent history may as well drag up some other stuff to keep it interesting as well
So lets include a bit of later era Mobb Deep as well because Havoc went mad on the beat for Burn and i love this tune so much. There should be more freestyles or versions of it really, i know there's a Black Thought one that swedish* rap fans love but i can never get on with him really, even though he's clearly "good". Closest i ever heard to a decent versions was the Mack Wilds' "Henny" one where Salaam Remi tried to modernise it and takes the edge off, but it does have that sing-song flow and is okay I guess. Would like to hear Max on it really.
Anyway G Unit era Mobb Deep is still quite good as well, even if its not The Infamous because G Unit had some fucking brilliant beats really, however derided they are these days (even by 50! )
Love that Alchemist beat for Straight Murder

Really though The Infamous how good an album is that. Ridiculous really

wild greens

I was thinking about posting G-Unit - Wanna Get To Know You next but really it's the Marvin Gaye sample that makes the tune isnt it so lets go to the source instead
I Want You, beautiful album. A few months after the young lad was born we got a late autumn Menorcan villa, it was still really warm outside for us, even though everywhere was really quiet and this album reminds me a bit of that, the way music just fits in with times and places, sitting round the pool having a bevvy and trying to regain your sanity after three months of no sleep
Or driving back from Platja de Son Saura/Bellavista, windows down, that slight breeze in the air, driving slow to savour it, pulling aside for the locals doing a million miles an hour because there's no cameras anywhere, that little restaurant carved into the stone on the cove

Great voice, the lad

wild greens

There should be more freestyles or versions of it really, i know there's a Black Thought one that swedish* rap fans love but i can never get on with him really, even though he's clearly "good". Closest i ever heard to a decent versions was the Mack Wilds' "Henny" one where Salaam Remi tried to modernise it and takes the edge off, but it does have that sing-song flow and is okay I guess. Would like to hear Max on it really.

Found out this remix version exists for the first time this morning from the algorithm. Shame Busta had to do his shout flow on it

I think if Mack Wilds' rap name was "Michael from The Wire" he would have sold more records tbh.

wild greens

Let's carry on from Marvin with some more Friday gear. Mid-80s, though; it is unbelievable how much this record goes for- mint copies are like £300 plus. Makes you want to keep hold of all the shitty grime you got for a quid from Independence in case the value really does explode. Anyway enough about money.
The album itself only has two real bangers and I've posted them both here but when you used to make CDs for the car instead of playlists on your phone you could throw obscure stuff like this in and it just becomes part of normal music. I think now with these tunes that never made it onto formal releases you are somehow ending up with a great loss of art and endeavour even in the era of everything at your fingertips, allegedly. I have loads of music on my hard drives that isn't on the internet, funky, grime etc.
e.g. there are loads of "private press" tunes from the 80s that I have great rips of from the blog era, that no-one would know about if it wasn't for some French kid with a blogspot and too much time on his hands.

I digress. Great couple of tunes, it is almost the weekend, let's carry on the wave before I get stuck into work at 10. That instrumental runout on "I'll Be Loving You" from about 3 minutes. Veuve Clicquot, mirrorballs

Last edited:

wild greens

Never Too Much is surely in every person's top 100 so far- I haven't read any of them properly and probably won't- and probably timeless at this point, one of the few canon classics in here I think. Top comment on youtube, Luther is forever the man. This is older than me and was second song at our wedding actually, hear it at most good weddings you go to.
Went to one in Wales a few years ago with the worst DJ of all time, we requested this and he said oh yeah i've probably got it then never played it, knobhead. Didn't enjoy that one really

wild greens

Who knows if this music has the same resonance for people who are younger and didn't hear these styles around the house growing up; without wanting to sound like a tit- I don't even speak French- without the joie de vive on this sort of style you don't end up with the wavy rap of Max B, do you, or your Neptunes bangers or whatever. God knows why I didn't end up some r&b producer savant given how much of it I heard growing up, probably not many of them from up north to be fair

I can't get the real video to embed so you get the live version instead

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A tragic irony in my life I actually listened to never too much too much and couldn't listen to it anymore.

Current Luther favourite is "The Sweetest One".

I have high hopes that I'll regain a healthy appetite for 'never too much' again one day.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd say around 2013 or thereabouts there was a surge of 70s/80s disco and boogie in my social group at least, perhaps something to do with the rise of streaming and more availability of old music? Anyway, I knew 'Never Too Much' from the distant past of course but it was rediscovered, got played at weddings and festivals and afterparties — and I remember Ben UFO playing it at Dekmantel to joyous effect.

wild greens

If I remember right this wasn't actually Cndo, she bought the rhythm off Gukwa and then when it blew up 2007/2008 there was a bit of a furore about it. Like so many things it is lost to time and space now and you just have a vague belief of being correct. I had a copy of "No Fear" by DJ Clock that was labelled Cndo but she definitely didn't make that either
Anyway there were loads of tunes when funky was just kicking off that were grabbed from other parts of the world and scenes that were definitely not adjacent but they just ended up becoming funky tunes anyway.
A bit like Karizma- Twyst This or God Made Me Phunky etc