Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You consider the group of incestuous people to be unprime breeding stock
But, as I've already explained with a patience you really don't deserve, there is no such "group" as Incestuous People.

This is almost as stupid as your "anyone who has had kids is a eugenicist" gambit from a while back.

mixed_biscuits

This is almost as stupid as your "anyone who has had kids is a eugenicist" gambit from a while back.
But your weaselly-worded argument is deficient anyway as eugenics is not restricted to groups and merely involves promoting desirable heritable characteristics through intentional intervention, which can be done and has been done on an individual basis. Much of the time, the individual case could be applied to other, similar cases as there is a resemblance between them - and there we have the group planning you're obsessing about.

And, yes, biology promotes certain heritable characteristics through its own interventions, developed over millennia of natural selection: natural selection promotes eugenic over dysgenic trends.

Anyway, presumably you would permit incestuous couplings between those who could not produce children?

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I think the 'born in the wrong body' feeling must be taken at face value but one has to decolonise the philosophical lens from our restrictive Western 'elite' materialism to the more globally prevalent dualism/idealism to understand what might be going on: afaik it's not that the person prefers the mere idea of inhabiting an uninhabited opposite sex to their inhabited own (which seems like not enough motivation for the dysphoria imo, which is also not just a feeling of being ill at ease in one's own skin but a strong desire to be a particular alternative) but that their soul has previously been incarnated in the opposite sex and preferred it, consciously or unconsciously (the soul has actually inhabited both sexes). This then also explains the strong motivation to change the physical body rather than just perform the opposite sex - really, we would be speaking of transsexism rather than transgenderism, given adequate medical technology.

dunno :unsure:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm for real, man; even got supporting peer-reviewed evidence!

I have come to the conclusion that, more generally, materialism is poor at explaining a whole host of phenomena
Reincarnation as an explanation for trans identities is a ballsy argument. I guess it has the advantage that it will really fuck off American Christians.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh, don't be ridiculous.
What's ridiculous about it? Trans people already faced disproportionate amounts of violence, before the Republicans decided to centre them in a moral panic. How do you think the kind of attitudes you've shown in this thread play out in the real world? "You aren't real/don't exist/are wrong about yourselves"?

(Are trans people suddenly going to think you know what - I'd never thought of that, I've been going through this massively socially inconvenient change, I'll just get over it, pull myself together, back to the shirt and tie for me"?)

I'll tell you - they lead to an increase in legislative violence which we're seeing in the US, hugely, with more anti-trans legislation than we can count and an upturn in prejudice and real world violence. If you think that's not the actual case then please tell me why not.

mixed_biscuits

IdleRich

IdleRich
NoI think it's more likely to make sense to the unsophisticated man in the street: "Why does he want to be a woman; oh, because he used to be a woman - makes sense; yee-hah!" (shoots in air)
Why is that so common? Every time I'm walking down a street I - and all of us I suppose - see lots of men shouting yee-hah and shooting in the air. No wait a minute, I'm getting confused, I actually meant to say "I've never seen that what the fuck are you on about now you bellend?".

mixed_biscuits

Why is that so common? Every time I'm walking down a street I - and all of us I suppose - see lots of men shouting yee-hah and shooting in the air. No wait a minute, I'm getting confused, I actually meant to say "I've never seen that what the fuck are you on about now you bellend?".
I was depicting Dissensus' idea of the average Republican