padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
let's be 100% clear that you know just as well as I and everyone else that @mixed_biscuits absolutely isn't bringing this up in good faith
yall, I appreciate your efforts, but please stop feeding this troll. no matter what answer you give, they'll just move the goalposts, and very likely also use it as a bad faith fallacy of composition attack (i.e. "one drag performer is a sex offender justifies outlawing all drag performance everywhere"). it is pointless.

DannyL

Wild Horses
yall, I appreciate your efforts, but please stop feeding this troll. no matter what answer you give, they'll just move the goalposts, and very likely also use it as a bad faith fallacy of composition attack (i.e. "one drag performer is a sex offender justifies outlawing all drag performance everywhere"). it is pointless.
Yeah, you're right, my bad.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
He would become more or less elongated depending on what angle the sun was at relative to his reference frame.
OpenAI has some ideas:

With the help of his trusty sidekick, Pythagoras Kid, Tangent Man must unravel the twisted web of geometry that threatens to destroy everything he holds dear. From the shadowy alleys of the city to the farthest reaches of the universe, he will use his mind-bending powers to fight for truth, justice, and the mathematical way.

But can Tangent Man save the world from the forces of chaos, or will he be consumed by the very equations that give him his power? Find out in the epic saga of Tangent Man: The Trigonometric Avenger.

padraig (u.s.)

back to important news:

almost 1/4 of U.S. trans youth have lost access to gender-affirming care, which is pretty staggering. many of the laws being considered or passed go far beyond gender-affirming care, which once again (for like, the 100th time) gives lie to the claim that this is about protecting children or anyone else from irreversible physical changes. there is for example a North Carolina law making it illegal for teachers or counselors to acknowledge a minor's gender identity without parental consent - i.e., outing them to their parents. Florida now has a law making it illegal to discuss gender identity or sexual orientation in schools, a "don't say gay" 2.0 basically. Oklahoma legislators are trying to pass a law making it illegal to give gender-affirming care to anyone under the age of 26. 26!

not only is this as I and others have said, a wedge issue to dog whistle up the GOP base, it is a blatant attempt by a faction of Republican politicians and those they pander to to impose a theocratic order on Americans, of which heteronormativity is only one part. lawmakers in South Carolina introduced a law that would impose the death penalty for abortion providers. Wyoming just passed a law banning (since blocked in court pending a judicial ruling) not only medical abortion but all forms including the morning after pill etc. three women were just sued in Texas under its draconian post Roe v. Wade overturn laws for using pills ordered thru the mail to induce an abortion - the lawyers representing the plaintiff, one of whom is a Texas state legislator - have also claimed they're going to sue the pill manufacturer if they can determine who it is.

it is a massive, coordinated assault on people's bodily autonomy and self-expression

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
back to important news:

almost 1/4 of U.S. trans youth have lost access to gender-affirming care, which is pretty staggering. many of the laws being considered or passed go far beyond gender-affirming care, which once again (for like, the 100th time) gives lie to the claim that this is about protecting children or anyone else from irreversible physical changes. there is for example a North Carolina law making it illegal for teachers or counselors to acknowledge a minor's gender identity without parental consent - i.e., outing them to their parents. Florida now has a law making it illegal to discuss gender identity or sexual orientation in schools, a "don't say gay" 2.0 basically. Oklahoma legislators are trying to pass a law making it illegal to give gender-affirming care to anyone under the age of 26. 26!

not only is this as I and others have said, a wedge issue to dog whistle up the GOP base, it is a blatant attempt by a faction of Republican politicians and those they pander to to impose a theocratic order on Americans, of which heteronormativity is only one part. lawmakers in South Carolina introduced a law that would impose the death penalty for abortion providers. Wyoming just passed a law banning (since blocked in court pending a judicial ruling) not only medical abortion but all forms including the morning after pill etc. three women were just sued in Texas under its draconian post Roe v. Wade overturn laws for using pills ordered thru the mail to induce an abortion - the lawyers representing the plaintiff, one of whom is a Texas state legislator - have also claimed they're going to sue the pill manufacturer if they can determine who it is.
A colleague of mine is an outspoken trans rights advocate, and she's been traveling around recently, I think mostly in florida, with various activist groups.

The software we're developing is an advocacy protocol (people say a more secure qua "Sybil-resistant' Change.org, but I still haven't used that platform), which could end up being applied here, to gather signatures and perhaps even fundraise, depending on the situation. We'd just have to be careful not to get into PAC territory, because then our privacy-preserving identity-verificiation techniques may not be viable.

padraig (u.s.)

Yes, it's all part of the same right wing agenda, which sees trans rights as easy targets. There's no "eventually" about it though. With the Supreme Court having struck down Roe vs. Wade, the Republican state legislatures are already seriously curtailing reproductive freedoms. Biden has looked to protect Obergefell vs. Hodges (gay marriage), but I doubt that will put them off for long.
100%

the U.S. is going to wind up with two countries, one where you can express your identity and retain autonomy over your own body, and one where you can't, some real Handmaid's Tale lite shit.

many people with the means to get the hell out of evangelical sharia states will do so ASAP - which is already happening - and those without the means to do so will suffer. the threats to sue abortion providers across state lines are particularly troubling tho I don't think (not sure?) it will hold up legally. it's hard not to think about the Fugitive Slave Act and the huge antislavery sentiment it stirred up in the north, and indeed we've already had blue states strengthening access to abortion and now gender-affirming care.

padraig (u.s.)

another consequence, which I see every day across social media and talking to friends, is the enormous strain on mental health and well-being for trans people and anyone else under this relentless onslaught. can't overstate the stress this puts onto people, on top of the regular life stress that all of us deal with day to day, AND the often enormous stresses of transition. it's like doomscrolling on steroids, only doomscrolling is something you have to proactively choose to do, whereas this is like an ongoing hammer blow to the face whether you want it or not. I'm not even directly under assault, just adjacent to people who are, and I still feel this huge pressure bearing down.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Apparently the perp in the Nashville shooting yesterday identified as trans, so now watch as millions of mixed-up biscuits simultaneously go "Ah-HA!", while conveniently ignoring the thousands of cis-gendered mass shooters.

this thread

e8b.jpg

padraig (u.s.)

Apparently the perp in the Nashville shooting yesterday identified as trans, so now watch as millions of mixed-up biscuits simultaneously go "Ah-HA!", while conveniently ignoring the thousands of cis-gendered mass shooters.
yeah my heart plummeted when I saw that and immediately envisioned what would follow

the same exact legislators who refuse to do literally anything about gun violence will almost certainly use this as an excuse to escalate their anti-trans rhetoric and war on trans people. as well as the tidal wave of hate sure to be unleashed on social media.

if I was a conspiracy person, I'd wonder at the perfect timing - trans person commits mass shooting at a Christian private school in a state at the forefront of anti-trans legislation - and think about yunno the Reichstag fire. but this is also just America where it's not even April yet and we've already had 126 mass shootings and basically anyone with an axe to grind and/or mental health issues can get guns and go on a shooting spree, so it could very well just be something like that.

gotta wait for more information to come out

padraig (u.s.)

Oklahoma legislators are trying to pass a law making it illegal to give gender-affirming care to anyone under the age of 26. 26!
update here: OK had to roll back that age to 18 after massive protests, but it's a strategy GOP lawmakers are using in multiple states, either as end goal itself - i.e. using care for minors as a foot in the door to ban gender-affirming care for everyone - or as a way to move the Overton window and make bans for youth seem moderate by comparison. Texas and South Carolina both have laws under consideration banning care for anyone under 26 (and not just banning care, but banning physicians from even referring a patient to someone else for care), and Kansas has one for anyone under 21.

Their other strategy - which is 100% out of the abortion playbook - is to ban care by severing access, by removing public funding and/or making it harder for insurers to cover, in either case pricing out anyone who can't afford to pay out of pocket, which is most people. Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma all have such laws under consideration.

So make no mistake that, again, it isn't about protecting children: it's about enforcing a heteronormative, often religiously-driven, view of identities and bodies, and policing what people can and can't do with their bodies

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yeah my heart plummeted when I saw that and immediately envisioned what would follow

the same exact legislators who refuse to do literally anything about gun violence will almost certainly use this as an excuse to escalate their anti-trans rhetoric and war on trans people. as well as the tidal wave of hate sure to be unleashed on social media.

if I was a conspiracy person, I'd wonder at the perfect timing - trans person commits mass shooting at a Christian private school in a state at the forefront of anti-trans legislation - and think about yunno the Reichstag fire. but this is also just America where it's not even April yet and we've already had 126 mass shootings and basically anyone with an axe to grind and/or mental health issues can get guns and go on a shooting spree, so it could very well just be something like that.

gotta wait for more information to come out
Yeah, I've already seen people referencing the Colorado Springs shooting, where some bigoted shithead shot up a gay club and was then just like "Oh, I'm a woman, btw", in a transparent attempt to stir up anti-trans hatred. But the perp in this case had apparently been using he/him on LinkedIn for some time.

Also noteworthy that it was a Christian fundie school, and there is apparently a manifesto, although it hasn't been released yet. So it's certainly plausible that someone who was there as a student and was in any way queer or non-gender-conforming, or felt that they might be, might well have had a pretty horrible time and have had some major lasting resentment.

padraig (u.s.)

So it's certainly plausible that someone who was there as a student and was in any way queer or non-gender-conforming, or felt that they might be, might well have had a pretty horrible time and have had some major lasting resentment.
yes that was my immediate thought

that and/or misdirected general anger at the assault on trans people, and specifically in Tennessee

have to wait for more information to come out