padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
all I can say is scratch a transphobe and you're likely to find a misogynist as well, the cultural worldviews go hand-in-hand
nb that TERFs are an obvious exception here, which is one of the many reasons it's so sad to see them ally with people who are often stridently anti-feminist

jenks

thread death
all I can say is scratch a transphobe and you're likely to find a misogynist as well, the cultural worldviews go hand-in-hand

it's an obviously nonsensical position that denies women the agency to choose to experience the full range of human emotion and experience

it's basically the same misogyny that has permeated men's views of women's sports since forever, that some aspect of sports is unfeminine or doesn't fit into a very narrow definition of womanhood. a classic example is the crazy myth that women couldn't run marathons because it would case uterine prolapse, a lesser version of which persists to this day in professional cycling where women's equivalent races are shorter than men's for no good reason beyond the UCI says
I don’t want to distract from the main thrust of this thread but that last point reminded me of Helen Wayman - British CX rider - after racing for an hour rather than the usual 45 mins allotted to women’s CX races- when asked how it went she replied ‘well, my ovaries didn’t fall out!’

droid

Women have their place and it upsets Chava's delicate sense of aesthetics to see them outside of that place. Imagine, women suffering excessive visible pain, that should be confined to maternity hospitals.

padraig (u.s.)

I really can't imagine watching weightlifting voluntarity as well, and women's weightlifting is completely bizarre to me.
to be just uninterested in any particular sport, sure, we all have different interests

but the idea that women's weightlifting is "bizarre" is pretty hilarious. we're talking about a sport dominated by parts of the world - Eastern Europe, Central Asia, etc - that are hardly known for being progressive on their views of women, full of jacked dudes on heavy gear and crusty old guy coaches in tracksuits. no one in weightlifting finds it bizarre. you almost never hear that kind of misogynist bullshit inside weightlifting. if you show up and train hard, there's nothing but respect, no matter who you are. pretty much the only people who find it at all unusual are random internet bros.

this actually is a truism of fitness culture in general. serious lifters - weightlifters, powerlifters, even bodybuilders - are almost never meatheads the way that people think, because if you're serious then you know how much discipline and sacrifice real training requires, and you have nothing but respect for anyone who shows up and puts in the work. the meatheads are always frat bro types forever skipping leg day and doing curls and asking how much you bench. and I'd guess the same is true for pretty any athletic pursuit at a high enough level.

padraig (u.s.)

I don’t want to distract from the main thrust of this thread but that last point reminded me of Helen Wayman - British CX rider - after racing for an hour rather than the usual 45 mins allotted to women’s CX races- when asked how it went she replied ‘well, my ovaries didn’t fall out!’
yeah the best way to respond to this nonsense is with the ridicule and scorn it deserves

and I appreciate people not wanting to get off-topic. I agree it's a tangent, but the connection, as I said, is a misogynistic impulse to control what womanhood means and police cis and trans women's bodies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I always find it disappointing that women's tennis is first to two instead of three sets, I feel that shortened game doesn't allow room for the ebb and flow with comebacks and so on that a full match should allow.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Found being surrounded by England football supporters during the ladies euros as not being as generally offensive compared to the England men’s team tournaments of torture, which was nice. A lot of the jingoistic bs wasn’t rolled out. Even the official coverage toned down the acute childishness of cheating and shithousing in the broader game because less of it was practiced. The tune pick was a bright one too, even if I question the artistic worth of Sweet Caroline - it worked

Some of you HAVE to have daughters or nieces, women’s euros changed the way club games are attended and it didn’t present like a corporate-woke team meeting outcome, providing token representation for non-white males, race being frontline during blm, taking knees, whatever your position on corporate advertising representation equating to any actual progress. It didn’t devolve into parochialism despite the intensity of competition and it didn’t spew out sick crowd chanting which male footy thrives on and I’m as guilty as any twat here

Put another way, if you see Forest Recreation Ground this afternoon, there are as many girls of diverse backgrounds out playing sports as boys and the same couldn’t be said before Russo’s backheel. Yes, girls were playing across the city but now an unspoken sharing of the playing facilities has developed. No small shift

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I always find it disappointing that women's tennis is first to two instead of three sets, I feel that shortened game doesn't allow room for the ebb and flow with comebacks and so on that a full match should allow.

Most of men's tennis is three sets as well. It's only the grand slams that are five.

chava

Women have their place and it upsets Chava's delicate sense of aesthetics to see them outside of that place. Imagine, women suffering excessive visible pain, that should be confined to maternity hospitals.
I remember vividly the Olympics women's cycling road race when it was held in Rio. Now Brazilian television are probably not well known for their restraint, but there was a horrible crash from one the favorites which was shown extensively on repeat. That was it for me, never would I watch that again. It is not that enjoy watching men crash their bikes (I prefer they didn't), but somehow men are the expendable gender, so I can handle that better.

I thought of if I'd feel any difference with motor sports, but it is such an impersonal sports it seems to be a different matter.

chava

yeah the best way to respond to this nonsense is with the ridicule and scorn it deserves

and I appreciate people not wanting to get off-topic. I agree it's a tangent, but the connection, as I said, is a misogynistic impulse to control what womanhood means and police cis and trans women's bodies.
It has nothing to do about "policing"; I'm reporting from the gut feeling I have when I watch women suffer (voluntarily) for entertainment purposes (And no, it's not the same as women being killed en masse in horror movies.)

Of course they can do what they want; I just doubt that it would catch on broadly. What about women's rugby? Anyone watches that?

chava

to be just uninterested in any particular sport, sure, we all have different interests

but the idea that women's weightlifting is "bizarre" is pretty hilarious. we're talking about a sport dominated by parts of the world - Eastern Europe, Central Asia, etc - that are hardly known for being progressive on their views of women, full of jacked dudes on heavy gear and crusty old guy coaches in tracksuits. no one in weightlifting finds it bizarre. you almost never hear that kind of misogynist bullshit inside weightlifting. if you show up and train hard, there's nothing but respect, no matter who you are. pretty much the only people who find it at all unusual are random internet bros.

this actually is a truism of fitness culture in general. serious lifters - weightlifters, powerlifters, even bodybuilders - are almost never meatheads the way that people think, because if you're serious then you know how much discipline and sacrifice real training requires, and you have nothing but respect for anyone who shows up and puts in the work. the meatheads are always frat bro types forever skipping leg day and doing curls and asking how much you bench. and I'd guess the same is true for pretty any athletic pursuit at a high enough level.
OK, fine. Watching weightlifting m/f/etc is kinda bizarre for me.

chava

you can put this on repeat, then:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Most of men's tennis is three sets as well. It's only the grand slams that are five.
But they're the main games. I'm a very casual watcher... I don't even watch grand slams much so my opinion is not massively important, but just personally, playing or watching, I prefer five sets cos it allows time for comebacks, it's a more satisfying game. And it seems strange for men to have that and women to only play three, they're playing other women so I don't see the issue. I guess that now the tournaments are set up that way it would be a problem to fit Wimbledon into a fortnight if it changed - but that shouldn't prevent it being done properly.

luka

i got this in my youtube reccomendations

it's beautiful like the olympic fight because it has a butt on the face, tight clothes, the sweat, the strength, the beautiful hair, breasts but it doesn't have sneakers and that looks amazing, making the vietnam ethnic fight unique, very good it's the icing on the cake, women fighting barefoot looks more natural, drum sound and audience are nice

padraig (u.s.)

Here's that blood on the hands I'm always talking about

could also go in the GOP thread, but as I/plenty of other people have said, the assaults on trans people and abortion are really one coordinated assault by the same people: would-be theocratic fascists and their allies (whether ideological, in it for the influencer $ grift, or both). Just as Trump et al created the space for white supremacists to openly air their views, which lead directly to violence, so Texas's Fugitive Slave Act style bounty laws on abortion have created a climate where vigilantes feel (even more) empowered to attack both those seeking abortions and abortion providers.

padraig (u.s.)

In other news, a trans friend of mine who lives in Florida just lost her access to HRT. She says it's the same for almost all of her friends. From what I've seen, something like 80% of trans Floridians are at risk of losing reliable access to hormones bc of the new anti-trans laws going into effect. These are all adults, not children. Again, it was never about children. Creating a moral panic about children was to get the foot in the door.

So now people will either go without, go to the gray/black market with the personal and health risks that entails, or flee at the first opportunity. Another thing I'm seeing frequently is GoFundMes etc to help with relocation costs. Another friend of mine who's more well-off financially is selling her house in Tennessee and relocating to a safer locale. Its getting rough as hell out here for folks.